C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Putting my FX3 in "time out"

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 08:19 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts
Default Putting my FX3 in "time out"

I have a intermittent "Service Ride Select" light on my 89 with the FX3. Sometimes I'll get a flicker, sometimes It is steady and for periods of time I get nothing at all.

When I pull the code, I get a 13 - Left Rear time out. I'm still working on clearing the code, but I'm apparently having problems with 2 seconds on 2 seconds off as I can't count.

What does "time out" mean? Is this something I can repair/clean or fix or is this a Captain Z rebuild situation?
Old 08-01-2017, 01:05 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
I have a intermittent "Service Ride Select" light on my 89 with the FX3. Sometimes I'll get a flicker, sometimes It is steady and for periods of time I get nothing at all.

When I pull the code, I get a 13 - Left Rear time out. I'm still working on clearing the code, but I'm apparently having problems with 2 seconds on 2 seconds off as I can't count.

What does "time out" mean? Is this something I can repair/clean or fix or is this a Captain Z rebuild situation?
Lets try this first. Switch the actuators. If the problem goes with the actuator, that is your problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by aklim:
1993C4LT1 (08-03-2017), FASTAZU (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 09:08 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

First take it out and look it over, I had a front coding and it had gotten some sand in the cup, easy fix than took them all off and put a drop of light oil on the shock gear and shaft.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:52 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by We Gone
First take it out and look it over, I had a front coding and it had gotten some sand in the cup, easy fix than took them all off and put a drop of light oil on the shock gear and shaft.
Thanks, I'll do that this weekend. We have rain in the forecast. REar looks a little more difficult but not that bad.

Funny, It went off and stayed off since yesterday. I tried to clear the codes and had no luck-- again. I'll try again tonight as my wife watches shows that I'm really not interested in.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:32 PM
QZRBLU
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842

Bill,
I had that same code 13 timeout Left Rear on my '90 when it was two months old. The gear on the left rear shock had cracked in two and
was binding the actuator at key-on self-test. Each actuator has a hall-effect sensor that measures the speed with with the actuator turns the adjustment rod to each stop (CW/CCW). "Timeout" indicates that the rod is not moving to each stop fast enough. Timeout 'can' be a false error with brand new FX3 shocks. New seals and o-rings 'can' slow the travel enough to set the code. Manually turning the adjustment gear to both extremes 20 times will prevent it when you install new shocks.

Mick

Anxiously awaiting cooler weather to install my new FX3 shocks, my original Delco FX3 shocks are showing signs of oil leaks.

Last edited by QZRBLU; 08-09-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Putting my FX3 in "time out"

Quick Reply: Putting my FX3 in "time out"