C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1988 C4 AC compressor cycling on and off

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 06:58 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default 1988 C4 AC compressor cycling on and off

The first thing I did was good up a recharge kit from auto part store. The gauge came back in the normal range. I squeezed the trigger once and the readings fluttered and read normal range. The compressor cycles again and again. I changed the ac cycle switch and no change at all. The fan only works on low and medium. I changed the fan module. It is the manual hvac.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:57 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
The first thing I did was good up a recharge kit from auto part store. The gauge came back in the normal range. I squeezed the trigger once and the readings fluttered and read normal range. The compressor cycles again and again. I changed the ac cycle switch and no change at all. The fan only works on low and medium. I changed the fan module. It is the manual hvac.
There is some More Research that needs to be Done, If you Feel you have enough Gas in the System ( I don't Trust Recharge kit Gauge totally)
You Really Need a Gauge set. To Help show your Low/High side Readings. Your condition could be as Easy as a Low or High Pressure Switches are having problems or a clogged Orifice or even deeper problems
Old 08-13-2017, 11:12 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

I am going to replace the compressor. New they are over $400 but I found rebuild's for $110. The condenser is more expensive being a one year only part. I would hate to take the chance on metal deposits damaging the replacement compressor.
I took the HVAC fan relay connection off to inspect the relay. It shows signs of damage from heat inside and plug and the connection on the car needs replaced. Napa wants $70 Autozone $60. Various sellers on eBay want over $40 until I found one for $23 shipped. I hope this will remedy my fan speed problem. I am debating having the freon drained and removing the compressor, condenser, and collector myself rather than pay for the labor. I've never removed a compressor. I know there is oil in the compressor but the procedure to install it is something I need to figure out. Is it worth paying someone?
Old 08-13-2017, 11:20 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 791 Likes on 567 Posts

yes
Old 08-13-2017, 08:56 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

The pure mechanical end of swapping a compressor is easy, but if you still have R12 in your system I would be careful who you take it to. Many shops will not touch R12 cars because they need dedicated equipment to properly handle the R12. Get a set of manifold gauges and read the Hi/Lo pressures and get back to us.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:37 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

It was switched over a long time ago.

Last edited by C4in mesa; 08-14-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:13 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Greetings,

....I too have an 88. I was going to ask if you changed out the refrigerant but, I see that it has been changed out to "134". Low refrigerant will cause a "short-cycle" and other things will also (low refrigerant, defective high or low pressure switch, etc).

.....You very well could have a bad low pressure switch which is located right in front of the evaporator at the firewall and that IS adjustable. A friend of mine had same problem.....

.....I would start off by trying to look for a visual leak (usually an oil stain which dirt will collect to) at all the hose, orifice tube, evaporator and condenser locations/connections as well as the front and back of compressor for leaks at seals or clutch area....

I you have access to a electronic leak detector, engage ac and fan on "low" and place probe in each of the vents to determine if you have an evaporator leak (can be used at all joints and fittings on items/areas mentioned above.

My 88 has an evaporator leak that I am waiting for temps to cool off here in Florida to attack and remove the evaporator where leak is.

Reference material should you need it:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-removal.html

Last edited by Da Mail Man; 08-14-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:32 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
The pure mechanical end of swapping a compressor is easy, but if you still have R12 in your system I would be careful who you take it to. Many shops will not touch R12 cars because they need dedicated equipment to properly handle the R12. Get a set of manifold gauges and read the Hi/Lo pressures and get back to us.
The system was switched over many years ago. I have owned the car almost 5 years with zero issues with the AC system. Only the fan speed has been a problem. When I replaced the dash pad I checked out the vents under the dash two years ago. I might put 1500 miles a year on the car.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:35 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Fan speed is either a bad fan motor, fan switch, or blower module located in engine compartment and is a 15 min change out (I had a bad one too).

Last edited by Da Mail Man; 08-14-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:36 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Originally Posted by Da Mail Man
Greetings,

....I too have an 88. I was going to ask if you changed out the refrigerant but, I see that it has been changed out to "134". Low refrigerant will cause a "short-cycle" and other things will also (low refrigerant, defective high or low pressure switch, etc).

.....You very well could have a bad low pressure switch which is located right in front of the evaporator at the firewall and that IS adjustable. A friend of mine had same problem.....

.....I would start off by trying to look for a visual leak (usually an oil stain which dirt will collect to) at all the hose, orifice tube, evaporator and condenser locations/connections as well as the front and back of compressor for leaks at seals or clutch area....

I you have access to a electronic leak detector, engage ac and fan on "low" and place probe in each of the vents to determine if you have an evaporator leak (can be used at all joints and fittings on items/areas mentioned above.

My 88 has an evaporator leak that I am waiting for temps to cool off here in Florida to attack and remove the evaporator where leak is.

Reference material should you need it:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-removal.html
I will get it hooked up to a machine capable of measuring the Freon pressure more accurately than the recharge bottle I hooked up to it.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:51 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
I will get it hooked up to a machine capable of measuring the Freon pressure more accurately than the recharge bottle I hooked up to it.

You could purchase a set of ac gauges off ebay and use an on-line pressure temperature chart to adjust charge.....I know they have them for "12" and other refrigerants. (Pict of blower module attached - not mine but, found in forum).
Attached Images  

Last edited by Da Mail Man; 08-14-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:21 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by da mail man

you could purchase a set of ac gauges off ebay and use an on-line pressure temperature chart to adjust charge.....i know they have them for "12" and other refrigerants. (pict of blower module attached).

Name:  r134 pressures.jpg
Views: 1932
Size:  20.3 KB
Old 08-14-2017, 08:28 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Da Mail Man

Attachment 48196058

A few picts of ac recovery machine and yellow recovery cylinder used to recover R-12. I wanted to change my orifice tube and that requires me to reclaim refrigerant and place system in a vacuum to recharge. Hummm, they didn't attach!...let me try again below.

Last edited by Da Mail Man; 08-14-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:34 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

trying again -
Attached Images    
Old 08-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Typical R-134A gauge set - can be found on net, ebay, etc.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To 1988 C4 AC compressor cycling on and off

Quick Reply: 1988 C4 AC compressor cycling on and off