C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

A couple more issues...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 10:07 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist
Default A couple more issues...

There's a couple issues I'm running into that I wanted to throw out there and get some advice on.

1-gearshift sticks going into first. This can be kinda annoying and I don't think it's related to the transmission itself-possibly the reverse lockout? The whole gearshift just feels kinda 'loose' and sometimes just really doesn't want to slide into first gear. I think something is loose and doesn't always line up right. Quickest way I've found to resolve this is to slide it into 2nd and then back into first. Not sure where to start to tighten this thing up and would appreciate advice.

2-shaking at highway speeds. This one is probably tire balance, or alignment. It's definitely related to tires/suspension and not engine RPM. I did the alignment on the car myself using string and jackstands, so it's probably not perfect (but much better than it was before), but I honestly think there's more to it than that. The tires are old and need to be replaced (but DANG they're expensive, so I'm holding out on that as long as I can). Just wondering if there's anything on the suspension I should check out that could be causing this. My suspicion is that the suspension, in general, is just kinda worn.

3-interior lights-none of them work except the doors, and those only when you push them on. I don't know if the bulbs might just be burned out or what, but I'm not sure how to get them out (namely the B pillar lights)

4-the radio antenna is stuck up. I've replaced the factory radio a while ago (it wasn't working anyway) and I'm not actually using the car's antenna at all. I'd like to put it down/remove it without breaking it further if I can, but I don't actually plan on using it in the future. Any thoughts on an easy way to do this?

5-engine wire looms just look like garbage. I want to get the engine bay looking good eventually. Anyone have a suggestion on where I could get better looking wire looms and such to just clean up the engine bay's look?

All of these are fairly low-priority and don't really affect driveability for me. I'm just looking for advice on how to get started on these things and start putting together a cost/time estimate to get them done. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2017, 11:32 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Man, that's a long list? Would help if your profile showed the car you're asking about.
1st gear synchros may be weak or perhaps the clutch isn't fully disengaging or the linkage might need new grommets or adjusting or both or tranning isn't spinning down, per spec, which (I read) too slippery fluid can cause.

Vettes need a proper 4-wheel alignment and with all those moving parts, something may be loose (worn out). Tires may be shot, or cupped or have bad ribs. Some radials take a 'set' and don't like their rotation reversed. Or, it could be one of the 6 U-joints. Swap tires front to rear and see if the shake moves.

Bulb check is first on the inop check. Do the underdash lights work?

Radio antenna realy and connector is under the hatch shade. Perhaps it was disconnected with the antenna up, maybe due to a broken internal ribbon. The antenna assembly can be removed without too much hassle, opened up, retracted and reinstalled.
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 11:43 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Thanks-sorry I thought my profile listed my car, I'll fix that. 1985 Manual 4+3.

I feel like it's the linkage-it doesn't grind or anything, just literally feels like something's in the way of it going into gear.

I'll get the 4-wheel alignment soon. I've been putting it off because again, $$$. I'm betting that's what it is.

Underdash lights also do not work.

I guess I'll check FSM for antenna removal. The rear shade and trim isn't even in this car, it didn't come with it. I read somewhere you had to remove the wheel well or something to get at the antenna, which sounds awful.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:55 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
I read somewhere you had to remove the wheel well or something to get at the antenna, which sounds awful.
I've pulled it a few times and the worst was dropping the mufflers down from the hangar mount.
I highly recommend waiting until the exhaust cools!

I think that first gear is on the same shaft as reverse and aging can cause that issue. Doing as you are, is just a habit; one that I have with both Vettes.
Bfenty (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by whalepirot
I've pulled it a few times and the worst was dropping the mufflers down from the hangar mount.
I highly recommend waiting until the exhaust cools!

I think that first gear is on the same shaft as reverse and aging can cause that issue. Doing as you are, is just a habit; one that I have with both Vettes.
What can be replaced to fix the shifter? or is it a 'drop the transmission' job? I'm not ready for that yet.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:40 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

Default How old is your clutch assembly?

The reason I ask is that on several cars I have owned all became difficult to get into first gear when the clutch was worn or near worn out.

I "think" it has something to do with the Clutch plate was too thin it never completely releases and that makes it hard getting into first gear.

Usually it is pretty easy to diagnose, if the transmission slips easily from neutral to first when engine is off and suddenly gets more difficult when the engine is running then I would bet you need a new clutch.

I do not "absolutely know" that this means the same on a Corvette... Just a thought for you.

My C3 is a four speed and it had no bushings or parts to replace. I installed a Hurst Shifter and saw no wearable parts when I did it. Just a couple adjustments to make the shifter line up properly. On German cars there are usually some nylon bushings that all wear out one at a time but not on these babies.

I wish you the best luck in getting this resolved in your Corvette
Bfenty (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 06:50 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
The reason I ask is that on several cars I have owned all became difficult to get into first gear when the clutch was worn or near worn out.

I "think" it has something to do with the Clutch plate was too thin it never completely releases and that makes it hard getting into first gear.

Usually it is pretty easy to diagnose, if the transmission slips easily from neutral to first when engine is off and suddenly gets more difficult when the engine is running then I would bet you need a new clutch.

I do not "absolutely know" that this means the same on a Corvette... Just a thought for you.

My C3 is a four speed and it had no bushings or parts to replace. I installed a Hurst Shifter and saw no wearable parts when I did it. Just a couple adjustments to make the shifter line up properly. On German cars there are usually some nylon bushings that all wear out one at a time but not on these babies.

I wish you the best luck in getting this resolved in your Corvette
It's just as hard sometimes when the car is off-I'm not ruling out needing a new clutch. I've never worked on a manual transmission before, so I don't really know what I'm doing at all.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:07 AM
Kens94
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

For the interior light issue check the fuses. I had a similar problem and it was a blown fuse. Ken
Bfenty (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 12:59 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The interior lights are controlled by the courtesy light delay module. It is fairly common for the transistor that turns on the lights to short out (then they stay on all the time). It can also burn open, in which case you never have interior lights. Sounds like this is your situation.
Bfenty (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The interior lights are controlled by the courtesy light delay module. It is fairly common for the transistor that turns on the lights to short out (then they stay on all the time). It can also burn open, in which case you never have interior lights. Sounds like this is your situation.
any idea where that is physically located?
Old 08-11-2017, 12:56 PM
cadwiz_01Z
Burning Brakes

Location: When Democracy becomes tyranny, the armed citizens will still get to vote!
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Located here:

And looks like this:

Old 08-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by cadwiz_01Z
Located here:

And looks like this:

Is that in the passenger side dash?
Old 08-11-2017, 06:26 PM
cadwiz_01Z
Burning Brakes

Location: When Democracy becomes tyranny, the armed citizens will still get to vote!
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yep. If I remember correctly, it is plugged into the harness on one end and the other end is zip-tied to rest of the harness. It really isn't "mounted" to anything.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by cadwiz_01Z
Yep. If I remember correctly, it is plugged into the harness on one end and the other end is zip-tied to rest of the harness. It really isn't "mounted" to anything.
thanks! I’ll look for it
Old 08-22-2017, 12:14 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

So I found the issue with the shifter-the bushings in the linkage are completely shot. I need to get some new bushings-anyone know where to get them? Doesn't look terribly difficult to install but I can't find any information on replacing them online. I'm wondering if that's because they're so easy as to be self-explanatory? Thanks for any insight.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:15 PM
Billygoatkid
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, Mine is always hard to get into first as well, since the day I got it years ago. I would do the same and put in second then slam it into first. Please let us know how it goes.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:12 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Billygoatkid
Interesting, Mine is always hard to get into first as well, since the day I got it years ago. I would do the same and put in second then slam it into first. Please let us know how it goes.
Will do. It got well and TRULY stuck last night, had to jack the car up where it was and use a pry bar to pop the linkage back. It wasn't terribly difficult but not something I'd want to have happen while on the interstate.

Get notified of new replies

To A couple more issues...

Quick Reply: A couple more issues...