C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 11:56 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
The ASR has activated in my car several times and it has never pumped the brakes, only forced my foot out of the gas (closed the throttle plates as SJW stated) and flashed the "ASR Active" light in the DIC.

The ASR system is pretty reliable, I don't recall ever hearing or reading anything about them having problems.

You don't need to hold the ASR button, it's a toggle, just press it. And there is no competition setting, it's either on or off.
When ASR activates, it closes the throttle, operates the rear brakes, and alters ignition behavior. At least it does on model year 1994. I'd be quite surprised to learn that it doesn't initiate any rear brake action on other ASR-equipped model years as well.

Live well,

SJW

Last edited by SJW; 08-10-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:49 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by SJW
When ASR activates, it closes the throttle, operates the rear brakes, and alters ignition behavior. At least it does on model year 1994. I'd be quite surprised to learn that it doesn't initiate any rear brake action on other ASR-equipped model years as well.

Live well,

SJW
Traction control was standard for all 1992 Corvettes. Called Acceleration Slip Regulation (ASR), it was created by Bosch and developed by Corvette engineers. It engaged with the ignition, but could be turned off by an instrument panel switch. ASR used engine spark retard, throttle close down, and brake intervention to limit wheel spin when accelerating. When on and active, a slight accelerator pedal pushback could be felt.

Beyond the engine, the 1992 Corvettes benefited from a new standard traction-control system called Acceleration Slip Regulation which was developed in conjunction with Germany’s Bosch company. It used the ABS sensors to detect rear-wheel slip and apply the brakes to the affected wheels and/or throttle back power to maintain traction. In some instances, it would even cause the brake pedal to push back against the driver’s foot, thereby letting them know that the system was engaged. During wet and slippery conditions, the ASR was a significant safety feature which allowed the Corvette to be driven notably faster (in less than ideal driving conditions) although it would also result in a significant increase in rear brake pad wear (due specifically to increased braking control). Whenever a driver wanted to take their Corvette to the track, a dashboard switch could be activated to disable the system.

Found that all here.

Last edited by JimLentz; 08-11-2017 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Additional quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:44 PM
jimmymac603
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '95 LT1 auto and my ASR lights on the DIC never light up either. So either on or off. I understand that its always on and is basically on-demand when needed. I've tried to shut it off/on and don't notice a difference. Not sure if the switch is bad, bulb in DIC is missing, or something else. Anything else I'm missing to check to see if this system is operational and working?
Old 08-15-2017, 09:23 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmymac603
I have a '95 LT1 auto and my ASR lights on the DIC never light up either. So either on or off. I understand that its always on and is basically on-demand when needed. I've tried to shut it off/on and don't notice a difference. Not sure if the switch is bad, bulb in DIC is missing, or something else. Anything else I'm missing to check to see if this system is operational and working?
If the indicator on the dash does nothing, probably the easiest way to see if ASR is functional is to induce some rear wheel spin in a safe place such as a wet or sandy parking lot. ASR will let you know if it's working by kicking back on the throttle (which you'll feel in the pedal), and pulsing the rear brakes (which you won't feel, but you'll probably be able to hear the ABS unit pulsing). If you can spin the rear wheels, ASR isn't operational.

Live well,

SJW
Old 08-15-2017, 09:41 PM
MikieG1971
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was not able to get mine to NOT kick back.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:58 PM
jimmymac603
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SJW
If the indicator on the dash does nothing, probably the easiest way to see if ASR is functional is to induce some rear wheel spin in a safe place such as a wet or sandy parking lot. ASR will let you know if it's working by kicking back on the throttle (which you'll feel in the pedal), and pulsing the rear brakes (which you won't feel, but you'll probably be able to hear the ABS unit pulsing). If you can spin the rear wheels, ASR isn't operational.

Live well,

SJW
THANK YOU FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE!!! I'll have to do it this later n the week to see what I get for results. Again, THANKS!

Quick Reply: Traction Control