C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How does this %**#^%*& clamp work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 05:38 PM
CT54531
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How does this %**#^%*& clamp work?

On my '87 Vette, the short u-shaped small coolant hose just below the throttle body is held on by clamps I've not seen. Round (of course) around the hose but a square on top with the tightening(?) screw down through the square. Even with the screw backed all the way out...stays locked tight. It looks like small triangular flanges have been pressed down on the corners of the square to hold in place. But I can't budge it and it pains me to admit I can't figure it out - except to just cut the whole %#@&*&# thing off.
BTW, came up to this as I as heading to replace what I thought was a leaky water pump but this same hose has a hole in it I hadn't seen before. So the fix for the leak may not even require the new pump. But as for that &^%##* CLAMP....
Excuse the language :-)
Old 08-10-2017, 05:47 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,965 Posts

This? I'd just cut it off. I suspect the rubber is holding the clamp. If you want to be careful, take a set of pliers and CAREFULLY turn it side to side to wiggle it
Old 08-10-2017, 06:06 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Back the screw off then use a deep well socket or short length of metal tube that will go over the hex of the bolt & contact the rectangle, tap the tool to push the clamp open.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:25 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 448 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchkey
Back the screw off then use a deep well socket or short length of metal tube that will go over the hex of the bolt & contact the rectangle, tap the tool to push the clamp open.
I use to use a 10mm tube on a 1/4" drive smack it loosens no Sweat No%$#@%^&%#$#
Old 08-11-2017, 01:19 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Those clamps are specially made by GM to put even pressure on the hose and not dig into it.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:41 AM
CT54531
Advanced

This clamp:

Old 08-11-2017, 12:00 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,965 Posts

Looks like it is now part of the hose after all the years of being squished together. Change the hose and cut it off
Old 08-11-2017, 04:54 PM
woody3882
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

At this point you are better off just cutting it off with a grinder, but the way it works is when you screw the head down/clockwise it puts pressure on the inner ring of the clamp. This pushes the inner ring in and forces the outer ring out thus closing the clamp. Back the nut all the way out, if tapping it does not set it free, then take a pair of channel locks and twist it, regardless, junk it and replace it with a better one
Woody
The following users liked this post:
CT54531 (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 09:49 PM
jedapete
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by CT54531
On my '87 Vette, the short u-shaped small coolant hose just below the throttle body is held on by clamps I've not seen. Round (of course) around the hose but a square on top with the tightening(?) screw down through the square. Even with the screw backed all the way out...stays locked tight. It looks like small triangular flanges have been pressed down on the corners of the square to hold in place. But I can't budge it and it pains me to admit I can't figure it out - except to just cut the whole %#@&*&# thing off.
BTW, came up to this as I as heading to replace what I thought was a leaky water pump but this same hose has a hole in it I hadn't seen before. So the fix for the leak may not even require the new pump. But as for that &^%##* CLAMP....
Excuse the language :-)
I just replaced my hose and put on new worm gear clamps always easy to take off and put back on. Jedapete
Old 08-14-2017, 10:52 AM
daustin
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jedapete
I just replaced my hose and put on new worm gear clamps always easy to take off and put back on. Jedapete
Those are called "tower" clamps, standard GM issue for decades. My trick to get them off is to loosen the bolt, then take aflat blade screwdriver, insert into the bottom under the tower and slightly wiggle. It should loosen right up.

Don

Get notified of new replies

To How does this %**#^%*& clamp work?

Quick Reply: How does this %**#^%*& clamp work?