C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Trans cooler location

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 10:32 AM
jetskibruce
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trans cooler location

I am thinking about putting an external transmission cooler on my 87 coupe A4. The 700r4 should be going back in today after a refresh and the engine is stock.
I have seen mounts in the back where the spare would be located with a fan on the cooler. My 87 has the 2nd fan in the front of the ac condenser and there does not seem to be a lot of room between the blades and the fins, less than two inches I think. My engine still has the 195 thermostat and the slow traffic temps are up to 210 with fans running which I don't think is put of line from reading the forum. The system has been flushed and has a good radiator. I think it would only help the transmission if I could remove some additional heat. If you have installed a auxiliary transmission cooler of have seen one installed that you liked or disliked, or even if you think it is not needed I would value your feedback.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:38 AM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ns-cooler.html

I posted this yesterday. On my '96 I don't have a spare tire, mounting the cooler back there sounds like an interesting option
Old 08-17-2017, 10:52 AM
jetskibruce
Advanced

Originally Posted by vette196
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ns-cooler.html

I posted this yesterday. On my '96 I don't have a spare tire, mounting the cooler back there sounds like an interesting option
196, thanks for pointing this out, I am not sure how I missed the thread but I will follow it too.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:53 AM
jetskibruce
Advanced

If the cooler is mounted in the back where the spare would be, do you think a aux fan is mandatory ?
Old 08-17-2017, 12:13 PM
mrodoc
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jetskibruce
If the cooler is mounted in the back where the spare would be, do you think a aux fan is mandatory ?
I put mine between the radiator and condensor. I decided to bypass the radiator and just use the cooler. This is a point of much discussion and you can search the various opinions. No problems in over a year. BTW I'm using a 3000 stall TC.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:22 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

I'm going with a 3200 TC and with the location of the headers, definitely need the cooler as per my mechanic...

With that said I was reading Yanks FAQ and one was about using a transcooler...they said it was not needed for street use....Hhhhmmmmm
Old 08-20-2017, 08:41 PM
mrodoc
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by vette196
I'm going with a 3200 TC and with the location of the headers, definitely need the cooler as per my mechanic...

With that said I was reading Yanks FAQ and one was about using a transcooler...they said it was not needed for street use....Hhhhmmmmm
From what I've read the trans temps get pretty high with a high stall converter. A cooler is really an easy install. The hotter the transmission runs the sooner you will have problems. To my way of thinking, even just routine city driving, with a 3200 stall TC it will rarely be locking up. Therefore much heat is produced. Just my humble opinion, but for minimal cost, and little effort, it's worth the piece of mind. I didn't want to risk it.
Good luck, whatever you decide.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:50 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

No harm in running a cooler unless it is below freezing outside.

Get notified of new replies

To Trans cooler location

Quick Reply: Trans cooler location