C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

kinda urgent, bench bleeding master cylinder -- nothing coming out of rear line?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 10:36 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Default kinda urgent, bench bleeding master cylinder -- nothing coming out of rear line?

when i disconnected the brake lines from the master cylinder i noticed that nothing really dribbled out the rear port. it came out the front port but not the rear.

so i am bench bleeding and i plugged off the front port return line up to the reservoir thinking "I'll force fluid out the rear line just to blow whatever is blocking out out".

nothing is coming out though and i cannot compress the valve.

is this how a 'proportioning' valve working inside the master cylinder or what? should i be able to block off the front port and get fluid to cycle through the rear port back into the reservoir?
Old 08-22-2017, 10:40 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

this is hiw i isolated rear port. note pinch tool on the front port line.

cant get fluid out of just rear port. is that normal?
Old 08-22-2017, 11:18 PM
Tod Stiles
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Well with that setup, if the MC is working you'll just blow the front bleed hose off the fitting. Can you give us a little background? It looks like your current or is it a used MC? Was it working before? Was there a problem with the rear brakes not working? Are you able to push the piston all the way down the bore? (If you can, as I said, you'll blow that hose off).
Old 08-23-2017, 12:13 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tod Stiles
Well with that setup, if the MC is working you'll just blow the front bleed hose off the fitting. Can you give us a little background? It looks like your current or is it a used MC? Was it working before? Was there a problem with the rear brakes not working? Are you able to push the piston all the way down the bore? (If you can, as I said, you'll blow that hose off).
Hi Tod.

I was bleeding the rear brakes and let the reservoir go dry.....doh. hence the MC bench bleed.

Anyway, with the front line pinched off, i was only able to push the piston in about an inch before the pressure built too much.

and i noticed that when i unhooked the return lines, fluid now dribbled out of the rear port. so IF there was ever a blockage, which i kind of doubt, my understanding of the internals of these MC's is limited.

kept pumping until the bubbles stopped and i've re-installed it on the car and i am now using the single person pedal pump with the coke bottle method. should be done in an hour.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:29 AM
Tod Stiles
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Ah! Very good then, glad it all seems to be working OK now.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:59 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... FYI , there is a pressure differential valve built in to the C4 master cylinder as well as a proportioning valve ... the PDV is pressure activated to shut off fluid flow to the low pressure circuit ... i.e. , if a leak develops in either the front or rear circuits , the valve closes off flow to the leaky culprit ... this leak can be caused by aggressively bleeding the brakes or by allowing the MC reservoir to go dry while bleeding ... I have been successful at re-centering the PDV with a pick through the port where the white plastic switch is threaded into the MC ... it takes a lot of pedal pressure to re-center the valve .....
Old 08-24-2017, 11:33 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank youC409, i believe that i was a victem of this same safety valve, self induced by aggressive bleeding as you say which, if you back the nut off as much as i did, causes the valve to behave as if its a wide open ruptured line.

all is good now and all 4 wheels are bled successfully with excellent pedal feel.

thnx again.

for researing it, i pressed the pedal very hard with the system closed up.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 08-24-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:55 PM
1cooldaddyo
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same thing happened to me while installing the Doug Rippie proportioning spring. After reassembling the MC, no flow from one of the outlets (I forget whether it was front or rear). Only way I could get it was to install it in the car, hold my thumb over the working port while my daughter applied pressure on the pedal.
Right as I couldn't hold it any more, "POP" and it all works fine.
If there's a next time, I'll try your "tickling" method.

Get notified of new replies

To kinda urgent, bench bleeding master cylinder -- nothing coming out of rear line?

Quick Reply: kinda urgent, bench bleeding master cylinder -- nothing coming out of rear line?