C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 corvette random stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 04:20 AM
kiwivetten
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1990 corvette random stalling issue

My 1990 Vette runs perfectly 99% of the time but then will randomly stall or you hear it start to die and then the computer manages to recover the idle. The computer is running a moates emulator and is re-programmed for a Vortech supercharger install. Are there any other sensors that could be faulty and cause the idle to drop off suddenly. Ive recently fitted a new o2 sensor and new distributor.

Any help appreciated. I have a Tech 1 but not trouble codes at all. As I live in New Zealand nobody knows these cars so I wont be able to get local help.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:37 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwivetten
My 1990 Vette runs perfectly 99% of the time but then will randomly stall or you hear it start to die and then the computer manages to recover the idle. The computer is running a moates emulator and is re-programmed for a Vortech supercharger install. Are there any other sensors that could be faulty and cause the idle to drop off suddenly. Ive recently fitted a new o2 sensor and new distributor.

Any help appreciated. I have a Tech 1 but not trouble codes at all. As I live in New Zealand nobody knows these cars so I wont be able to get local help.
Some people have had noise issues with the length of the emulator cable and shortening it has resolved the issue.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:39 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Check your TPS sensor. I had similar problems like yours on another GM vehicle. The TPS did not throw a code but was faulty never the less.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:18 PM
kiwivetten
Advanced

Originally Posted by JimLentz
Some people have had noise issues with the length of the emulator cable and shortening it has resolved the issue.
Thanks Jim, I have purchased a new ECU and my next step was to burn an eprom with my current software and put that into the new computer. That would then eliminate the emulator and ECU.

I did have major noise issues when I first put the emulator on and programmed it via a USB cable with the car running. Im told USB cables are very prone to noise and when I programmed the emulator with the car off it sorted the problem. MSD ignition wouldnt help for noise but no live tuning for me.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:20 PM
kiwivetten
Advanced

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
Check your TPS sensor. I had similar problems like yours on another GM vehicle. The TPS did not throw a code but was faulty never the less.
Yep it could be the tps sensor, Ill try the new ECU first as I have one and this will be my next step
Old 09-13-2017, 05:18 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Did they program a higher idle or at least one to match the cam?
Old 09-13-2017, 09:48 PM
kiwivetten
Advanced

Originally Posted by aklim
Did they program a higher idle or at least one to match the cam?
Stock cam, I just reprogrammed injector flow rate for larger injectors. Note it was running fine for a couple of years and this is a problem that has developed.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:50 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwivetten
Stock cam, I just reprogrammed injector flow rate for larger injectors. Note it was running fine for a couple of years and this is a problem that has developed.
Have you checked what the IAC count is with everything but the motor off?
Old 09-14-2017, 02:11 AM
kiwivetten
Advanced

Hi Jim

I found a post as per your comments "fix to Moates Ostrich issues on '90 and newer"

Very similar to my problem and Ive just shortened up my ostrich ribbon cable which was quite long.

Ran the car for 10 minutes or so with no issues. Ill give it some time and report back. Now to post my next thread which is quite different if any of you can help!
Old 10-23-2017, 05:49 AM
kiwivetten
Advanced

it was the long Moates ribbon loom causing the issue. Car has been running great since I shortened it. So happy as this problem has plagued me for years.

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 corvette random stalling issue

Quick Reply: 1990 corvette random stalling issue