C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

T-top Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 03:16 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Default T-top Question

What is the difference between the fiberglass one and the acrylic one? I am going to have to replace it since the one I have seems to be delaminating or something. So, besides the fact that you see through one and you don't, what quantifiable difference would there be?

Price is $750 for an unpainted one and maybe $1000 for a Melrose acrylic one. By the time you prep and paint, we are probably at that level anyways.

So will I notice any difference is structural rigidity or long term durability? Anything else that is quantifiable? As to the sun, I would probably put a T-top headliner in if it was acrylic because neither the leather nor I am fond of the sun.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:43 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

As you already know, one is solid body color material and the other is a transparent acrylic of some kind.

I have both tops for my '96, and the transparent one is quite a bit lighter.
The headliner for the solid top is pretty thick and keeps the "heat" out.

I don't even attempt to use the transparent one in the summer.

I am sure the solid top is stronger structurally than the acrylic one too.

But they are both the same size, and bolt in exactly the same way.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:37 PM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

When I had my '86 the Fiberglass was much quieter and controlled the rattles much better. The '86 had the Z-51 with a very stiff suspension so it felt much tighter. The downside was the weight difference. The Acrylic one was easier to remove and fit in under the Hatch in back.
I think the ideal situation would be the cloth top someone used to make (perhaps still available) for use during the summer to avoid the storage problem when going open.
Barrier
Old 09-14-2017, 08:23 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

It seemed to me the acrylic offered a tiny bit more head room, they chip and crack.

Painted can be bought used a buffed or detailed to match IMO. Unless a new one is your thing.

What color?
Old 09-14-2017, 08:26 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Barrier
When I had my '86 the Fiberglass was much quieter and controlled the rattles much better. The '86 had the Z-51 with a very stiff suspension so it felt much tighter. The downside was the weight difference. The Acrylic one was easier to remove and fit in under the Hatch in back.
I think the ideal situation would be the cloth top someone used to make (perhaps still available) for use during the summer to avoid the storage problem when going open.
Barrier
To me, the storage problem isn't an issue since I never drive with the top off.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:35 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pologreen1
It seemed to me the acrylic offered a tiny bit more head room, they chip and crack.

Painted can be bought used a buffed or detailed to match IMO. Unless a new one is your thing.

What color?
White

Old 09-15-2017, 03:45 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,433 Likes on 2,797 Posts

I'd just get your existing top redone. The acrylic ones are a little lighter, but not by a ton. I liked my acrylic top because it let light in and made the car seem more open with natural light inside.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:39 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I'd just get your existing top redone. The acrylic ones are a little lighter, but not by a ton. I liked my acrylic top because it let light in and made the car seem more open with natural light inside.
I talked to Melrose but they said they would sell me a virgin t top in fiberglass. That means sand and paint. Come to the price of the acrylic. They do NOT repair fiberglass ones
Old 09-15-2017, 08:03 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Looking at the pics isn't that what yours needs paint?
Old 09-15-2017, 08:07 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Looking at the pics isn't that what yours needs paint?
IDK. Why is it bubbling after 5 years? What about that big line crack? Is there something wrong in the fiberglass? That is my concern. Should fiberglass bubble and crack like in pic 1? If that is normal, I'd have it redone with the paint job but if the material is bad, I don't know what to do. I'm no expert on body work so I don't know if the fiberglass can be saved.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:01 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I did not see the crack but always thought the bubbling was poor preparation of the surface.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:59 PM
Fiberbundle
Burning Brakes

Received 340 Likes on 263 Posts

The acrylic ones are see through and the fiberglass ones are painted to match the color of the car. Have you owned the car since new? If not I suspect the PO had a top painted to match the car, poor preparation before paint could lead to the bubbles but not the cracks. Cracks mean an issue with structural stability of the top. Previously cracked and repaired poorly? Car pushed so hard the frame flexes and cracked the top? Yours may be repairable but you will only know after sanding down to the base fiberglass. Either way, even repaired the top would most likely crack again with use since it would take a significant amount of additional glass and resin thickness to add enough structural stability so this does not happen again. Go new fiberglass and paint to match.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:34 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by Fiberbundle
The acrylic ones are see through and the fiberglass ones are painted to match the color of the car. Have you owned the car since new? If not I suspect the PO had a top painted to match the car, poor preparation before paint could lead to the bubbles but not the cracks. Cracks mean an issue with structural stability of the top. Previously cracked and repaired poorly? Car pushed so hard the frame flexes and cracked the top? Yours may be repairable but you will only know after sanding down to the base fiberglass. Either way, even repaired the top would most likely crack again with use since it would take a significant amount of additional glass and resin thickness to add enough structural stability so this does not happen again. Go new fiberglass and paint to match.
I have had both, and I prefer the solid fiberglass roof. the inner liner on the fiberglass roof eats up half an inch of head room.

i never liked the constant sun on my head with the see through roof, though the cool factor is there. that said, if i was a passenger maybe i'd lay back and stare up at the sky and watch the world go by....haha.

knowing your persona from your posts on the forum Ak, just get a new one with warranty or get the old one sent out for a repair that is warrantied. you don't seem like a guy who has the time or patience to deal with anything other than getting the job done right the first time!

i would say that i *feel like* the fiberglass roof added extra structural ridgidity to the frame. but i have no data measurements to back that up.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:23 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
knowing your persona from your posts on the forum Ak, just get a new one with warranty or get the old one sent out for a repair that is warrantied. you don't seem like a guy who has the time or patience to deal with anything other than getting the job done right the first time!

i would say that i *feel like* the fiberglass roof added extra structural ridgidity to the frame. but i have no data measurements to back that up.
Correct. I don't like to screw with the thing over and over again. I'd either buy a new one and have it painted or get an acrylic one. Not sure who will repair it but Melrose would sell the sheet of fiberglass for $200,you pay some shop to remove it and you aren't sure if they know what they are doing and it costs less or about the same plus aggravation. Melrose does not want to do it which is a bad indicator of the work required.

I would guess so but not certain which is why I wonder if anyone has experience in that. I'd go for the roof that allows me to run AC and has better rigidity.

Get notified of new replies

To T-top Question

Quick Reply: T-top Question