C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Smog pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 06:05 PM
fflumpy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smog pipe

I installed true dual Allen's chambered exhaust on my 85'. Im keeping the origanal exhausted and smog pump and pipe in place. That way when i sell the car in the future the new owner has the option of putting it back to stock. Right now the smog pipe is tied up out of the way and it is "open" to the atmosphere.

I "think" i can hear the smog pumping air out of the tube (i might be crazy)…

My question is…is it ok to plug it? How do you plug it without crimping it or cutting the flair end? Like i said i want to keep it so you can crimp it back on the stock cat.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2017, 06:54 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

off the top of my head, i'd say no. seems to me, you would be attempting to pressurize the pipe with nowhere for the air to go. the pump would be fighting itself, and you would start overheating the pump. by no means an expert, but i'd err on the side of caution with this one.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:20 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Wen it makes noise, just stick your finger in it.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:24 PM
QZRBLU
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by fflumpy
I installed true dual Allen's chambered exhaust on my 85'. Im keeping the origanal exhausted and smog pump and pipe in place. That way when i sell the car in the future the new owner has the option of putting it back to stock. Right now the smog pipe is tied up out of the way and it is "open" to the atmosphere.

I "think" i can hear the smog pumping air out of the tube (i might be crazy)…

My question is…is it ok to plug it? How do you plug it without crimping it or cutting the flair end? Like i said i want to keep it so you can crimp it back on the stock cat.

Thanks!
You could cable-tie or wire-tie some scotch-brite material over the opening of the pipe to muffle the air coming out. When I installed my Allen's true duals, I just removed the pipe and stored it with the old CAT.

Mick
Old 09-20-2017, 11:30 PM
fflumpy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QZRBLU
You could cable-tie or wire-tie some scotch-brite material over the opening of the pipe to muffle the air coming out. When I installed my Allen's true duals, I just removed the pipe and stored it with the old CAT.

Mick
when u removed the pipe from the pump did u leave the hole in the pump open?
Old 09-20-2017, 11:48 PM
QZRBLU
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Yes, I left the hose open just beyond the one-way valve. No noise at all.

Last edited by QZRBLU; 09-21-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Smog pipe

Quick Reply: Smog pipe