C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need Pushrod Advice on a 1989 stock to 1.61 rockers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 11:30 AM
killlerkc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Pushrod Advice on a 1989 stock to 1.61 rockers.

Looking to upgrade my L98. The 1.6 3/8th rockers will do well. Just can't find out exactly what the proper Pushrod length, width, and threads I need.
I'm pretty sure they need to be 5/16th.
Any guidance at this point would be much appreciated. Thank you Kc
Old 09-27-2017, 01:29 PM
bosshog8
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Why won't stock pushrods suffice? I have never needed to change from stock pushrods unless I have done a cam change, new heads, etc. If you have made other changes that require a different from stock pushrod length then it is unlikely anyone knows your exact situation. There is a pushrod length tool you can use to determine your particular size.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:22 PM
vettespecial
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by killlerkc
Looking to upgrade my L98. The 1.6 3/8th rockers will do well. Just can't find out exactly what the proper Pushrod length, width, and threads I need.
I'm pretty sure they need to be 5/16th.
Any guidance at this point would be much appreciated. Thank you Kc
Yes Bosshog8 is correct, I am driving my fresh overhauled L98 Cam and roller rockers, and other stuff, i had my engine machine shop do this step
before i took it home to assemble, using a adjustable push rod with cam chain and one lifter and rocker installed you just turn over the motor thru full valve deflection intake and exhaust and see that rocker arms stays on true center of valve stem. adjust push rod untill it true center then measure
length of test push rod, then you know proper length you need to order.
The machinist call it valve train geometry check.

Last edited by vettespecial; 09-27-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:27 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

jeeze, just try the stock push rods first; if the block hasn't been decked, or the head milled, or something else done to alter the oem dimensions, you should be fine.

all the above advice is right on , but...since you are running hydraulic lifters right?....you'll need to purchase some very light weight valve checking springs to install on each valve as you check the geometry. Why? without the engine running and oil pressure pumping up the lifters, the stock valve springs will compress the plunger down into the lifter body, rendering the measurements pretty much useless.

or if that's too much of a problem, take an old lifter, disassemble it, pull out the inner piston and stack small washers inside the lifter body, so that the lifter is in essence an uncompressible "solid" lifter and use this one lifter to check pushrod length for each valve.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:43 PM
DouglasC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ALWAYS replace the old Pushrods when changing the Rockers !! Measure with the adjustable piece and go from there. The new rods will in effect "seat" just to perfectly fit with the new Rockers. The old rods won't have the correct length (geometry) and are worn in to mate with the old rockers. Also keep in mind that IF you are leaving every other part of the system stock (as in stock Cam, Lifters, Springs Heads etc.) you won't get a large HP gain. Perhaps 2 to 5 though this varies. Many just think by increasing the lift by going from 1.5 to 1.6 that there will be 20 ish HP gains as "some" manufacturers claim. NOT in my experience.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:51 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... When I changed rocker ratio on an '93 F-body LT1 in a '74 'vette , it picked up 0.14 seconds in the 1/8th mile with no other changes ... I don't recall what the MPH change was .....

Get notified of new replies

To Need Pushrod Advice on a 1989 stock to 1.61 rockers.

Quick Reply: Need Pushrod Advice on a 1989 stock to 1.61 rockers.