C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Replace just heads on my 94?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 10:11 AM
Ruger72
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replace just heads on my 94?

My 94 has 110,000 miles on it. Runs great and is completely stock with a Magna Flow exhaust. I have done the Opti, water pump, plug wires, injectors, O2 sensors, timing chain. I have read on how the bottom end of the LT1 is strong and shows minimal wear when guys take them apart. I was thinking of maybe pulling the heads on my car and putting on a set of heads that have been rebuilt with a little port/polish from Lloyd Elliot at Elliot Port Works. Is this an ok thing to do? Will doing this put strain on the rest of the engine/bottom end. Any input/knowledge will be greatly appreciated. Love this Forum!
Old 10-01-2017, 10:15 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruger72
My 94 has 110,000 miles on it. Runs great and is completely stock with a Magna Flow exhaust. I have done the Opti, water pump, plug wires, injectors, O2 sensors, timing chain. I have read on how the bottom end of the LT1 is strong and shows minimal wear when guys take them apart. I was thinking of maybe pulling the heads on my car and putting on a set of heads that have been rebuilt with a little port/polish from Lloyd Elliot at Elliot Port Works. Is this an ok thing to do? Will doing this put strain on the rest of the engine/bottom end. Any input/knowledge will be greatly appreciated. Love this Forum!
Have you had a compression test performed? If it were mine, I would have that done, or do it myself... then you will know for sure how healthy the lower 1/2 is. I would think you wont have an issue, but for piece of mind, a compression test is a good idea in my opinion.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:30 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

it wont hurt the bottom end thats a myth
what happens is guys put heads on old bottom ends drive them hard then blammo..blame it on the wrong head lol

Id have them checked before porting to make sure your guides are ok. Start replacing those, valve jobs springs it can add up to what a new, better head costs. Seen this too many times.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:36 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

I just had the LE2 package done and had the intake ported (save your money, stay with a stock throttle body)....but it still needs to be installed
Old 10-02-2017, 04:20 PM
Ruger72
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you guys for the input. I plan on having a compression test done in a couple of weeks. Then I will see what I decide to do. If the compression is good and my mechanic feels good about it I will then look at having my heads done. Again, I was just thinking of having them re-built with new springs, valves, seats, and maybe a minor port/polish done.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:13 PM
Iexpedite
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruger72
Thank you guys for the input. I plan on having a compression test done in a couple of weeks. Then I will see what I decide to do. If the compression is good and my mechanic feels good about it I will then look at having my heads done. Again, I was just thinking of having them re-built with new springs, valves, seats, and maybe a minor port/polish done.
How minor? I think I would open them up quite a bit. Especially if you are going to go through the expense of paying someone to install and shipping and all that. You're gonna lose some port velocity at this point but they will be ready if you decide to take things further in the future. You do you, but I wouldn't stop at a minor port and polish.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:27 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

If all you are doing is the heads, a healthy LT1 bottom end will handle it fine. Lots of people install cams, heads, headers, injectors, etc. and drive them hard, typically without issues.

Do you know your car's service history?
Old 10-03-2017, 08:40 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,233 Likes on 1,943 Posts

I'd do a leakdown test to make sure that the pistons are good. If that works, how far do you want to go? Maybe a cam, headers and a dyno tune? I don't think you have to do much but I'd get the injectors serviced so you have a clean slate and not varnish on the pintles.

Get notified of new replies

To Replace just heads on my 94?

Quick Reply: Replace just heads on my 94?