C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 Experts... advise/help

Old 02-13-2018, 03:30 PM
Huvr
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you still here? How’s it going so far? Updates please, I just bought a similar model and am thinking of HP increase, too.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:30 PM
ZEN357
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Borla Exhaust and 3.73 gears

I'd go with a hi-Flow Borla Exhaust and a set of Richmond Gear 3.73 gears. This will give you excellent performance on the street.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:39 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ZEROVETTE7
Just got me a 91 coupe L98, A4 (700R4) with 68k on the meter, I’m planning for a compression test to make sure all is ok inside, as it had some oil leaks. Thinking of give it a new set of gaskets/ seals (refresh/maintain the engine) and since I’m there I’m thinking of throwing some Mods to boost the ride to 300-350 rwhp with bolts on (nothing extreme for now) if possible. the plan is:
  • set of gaskets/seals (any advise on brand or supplier?).
  • Long tube headers (ss/coated/titanium, which brand preferred?)
  • Cat back exhaust system (thinking of Borla 3”?)
  • Cold air intake with K&N filters (any specific type/brand?)
  • 1.6 RR (need advise on those if required or not)
  • Rear axle 3.07 (thoughts on that?)
  • Runners??
  • AFPR (is it required?)
  • Torque converter (2400,2600,2800??)
  • Intake manifold upgrade (is this considered a bolt on?) should I go for it with the above?
Am I missing anything? I really need your expert advise on that and feedback. And would like to mention that the whether where I live is hot and humid almost 8 moths in a year (105-120f on average) does this requires any cooling system for oil/trans , stat. ...etc ??

Im considering DIY ;are all the above can be a DIY project or does it require a pro work, I’m not a mechanic in the since but it’s always my dream to work on corvette and have it as a hobby when retired
I appreciate your feedback and apologized for the long text.
TIA
Personally, I don't think a 91 L98 is a good platform for a "once in a lifetime" dream hobby....if you have a small budget, live where they are more rare, and may not have local mechanics/facilities to "bail you out". Not trying to be negative so much as cautious/realistic. From what I know, a MAF car (which isn't in your 91) is easier for the DIYer to learn AND the L98's have a limiting intake/exhaust manifold setup. There's nothing wrong with modifying one if you're willing to bust it open and do some real changes but it's gonna be costly even if you DO learn how to DIY.

Really, for both LT1s and L98's, I think the best modification is a stroker. IOW, adding more cubic inches is the best modification unless/until you are looking at high-speed performance (which you ruled out with your comment about Dubai highways).

I would encourage another forum member with SD tuning knowledge to comment on the iterations/cost necessary to retune a 91 even when milder changes (like tubes/cam/headers) are installed....let alone anything more serious? IDK...which is why I put this out there. Even with my MAF setup, I learned it myself...but still can't resist trying something new to make it "more perfect". Point being, tuning can represent a decent portion of the cost. Since the OP is in Dubai, what additional obstacle(s) does that represent?

I think we should convey everything before leading a "newbie" from another country down the yellow-brick road. For example, a 3" exhaust for an L98? Really?

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 02-13-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:01 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

this is just me, but I'd start with a cam compatible with my goals, an upgraded timing chain set, an upgraded water pump and work out from there.

Last edited by mtwoolford; 02-14-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:14 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Because of your location I wouldn't go too crazy. Unless you have a good (L98/LT1) mechanic, once you do your DIY and screw something up that car will sit (months/years).
I would not open up the motor (ie: cam, 1.6 RR, etc). Either get cat back for sound or get long tube header and stay stock the rest of the way(I'm doing that with my LT1). I would check with another L98 owner, because I'm not sure how a '91 exhaust flows....LT1s are known to be free flowing(therefore cat back system won't add much HP).
Maybe do the gears...you can find a used D36 with stock 3.07 or go higher(3.55). Also consider a torque converter....

As someone mentioned, once the ball is rolling it WILL get bigger ($$)...ask me I know. Had the budget set and wham....$1800 to rebuild transmission.....when all is said and done I'm in C5 territory money-wise

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: L98 Experts... advise/help