C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 sun visor lights gets no power

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 07:59 PM
abw121
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1985 sun visor lights gets no power

First off I am new owner of a 1985 C4 with 30000 miles.
I am stumped after some wire repair?

Found passenger door jamb light switch not working pulled it out and found critters had chewed on wires. A little solder and heat shrink and lights turn on with passenger door opened. And when door closed light take 30 second to turn off. All great there.
But!
I just found the passenger side sun visor has mirror with lights burnt out so after a lot or reading and dental floss removal with fresh bulb change still no luck. No lights on sun visor.
I removed the visor and checked the new bulbs with motorcycle battery and they do work in visor and visor switch does work.

Pulled dash cover and Bread Box and cleaned up where critters had nested. Spent half day just getting breadbox out.
Found no further damage from DIC right to the fuse panel.
Found connection where black and pink with black stripe wires come out of main harness and connect to wires leading up to sunvisor location.

Checked this set of wires with multi meter and no power? Cannot find any FSM info about this troubleshooting. Tried headlights and dimmer but still no joy? Could this be something to do with delay timer for doors? The delay is working. Headlight chime works also.
But no seatbelt chime? Only seatbelt light works. Will be looking behind DIC tomorrow. And then drivers cluster to replace bulbs.
Who was GM genius who thought hiding all this behind all this plastic?

Any ideas or suggestion for this boot?
Just retired and found the perfect mistress? She drives me crazy.

Last edited by abw121; 11-11-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:34 PM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

Congrats on retiring, buying a C4, and joining the forum!

I need to get a Photobucket alternative going to show an example, but a number of electrical issues I've traced down to poor electrical connections and ground points due to oxidation.

A brass brush and a can of Deoxit are my friends.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:38 PM
abw121
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well thank you.

Found the culprit. It’s me.
Cleaned all grounds I could find and checked but still no power to visor.
Then I put key into ignition and turn it to on position, Bingo sun visors have power.
Only when key is in On position will power run up to visors. I guess it to save battery.

Now waiting for LED bulbs for dash and DIC.
Thanks for the help

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 sun visor lights gets no power

Quick Reply: 1985 sun visor lights gets no power