C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ride Control

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 12:46 PM
jhobbs1824
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride Control

I bought a 92 convertible with Bilstein's and ride control. She is riding rough and I keep getting flashed with ride control warning lights that go off. Is there a way to raise up the vette and add a little more comfort to the ride. Im not about racing or running just driving comfortably. She's low and scraps over everything. I previously had a Jaguar XJS and it never did scrap anything on the road. Is there a coil over shock that I can swap the Bilstein's for that will give a little bit of height and a more comfortable ride.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:06 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If the light is flashing the system most likely has defaulted to performance mode (stiffest setting) if you do a search you will find many posts on how to diagnose the system.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:26 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

The FX-3 ride control shocks have an actuator at the top of each one. If any of them fail, they can be repaired, but a bit pricey.
It sounds like your car my have been lowered by a previous owner. I rarely scrape anything in my 92 convertible.
Raising the car.....the back is easy, but the front is another story. The shocks have nothing to do with ride height.
If you just want a more comfortable/softer ride, replacing your FX-3 Bilstien's with something like a KYB will do the trick.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:06 PM
jhobbs1824
7th Gear

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
The FX-3 ride control shocks have an actuator at the top of each one. If any of them fail, they can be repaired, but a bit pricey.
It sounds like your car my have been lowered by a previous owner. I rarely scrape anything in my 92 convertible.
Raising the car.....the back is easy, but the front is another story. The shocks have nothing to do with ride height.
If you just want a more comfortable/softer ride, replacing your FX-3 Bilstien's with something like a KYB will do the trick.
Will this set up a permanent warning light or something on the panel if I s shocks to KYB. What is the correct tire size to the 92 vette. Maybe that is the issue. Since its a
new car to me I have a lot to learn. Cooling fan is not coming on with A/C and is getting hot at red lights. Probably a relay somewhere. I guess I'll order the manual so I'll at
least have a clue where to look for this stuff. Too bad it doesn't come with the car. LOL. The car only has 21,454 miles on it. Also, having trouble with the covertible top cover
getting it to properly unlatch. Works only sometimes. Any help is always appreciated.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:31 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jhobbs1824
Will this set up a permanent warning light or something on the panel if I s shocks to KYB. What is the correct tire size to the 92 vette. Maybe that is the issue. Since its a
new car to me I have a lot to learn. Cooling fan is not coming on with A/C and is getting hot at red lights. Probably a relay somewhere. I guess I'll order the manual so I'll at
least have a clue where to look for this stuff. Too bad it doesn't come with the car. LOL. The car only has 21,454 miles on it. Also, having trouble with the covertible top cover
getting it to properly unlatch. Works only sometimes. Any help is always appreciated.
To disable the warning light, you just disconnect the controller. It is found in a compartment behind the drivers seat next to the ABS controller and is held on by velcro. Just unplug it.
Tire size for '92 was 275-40-17, but that is irrelevant to your issue.
For the a manual, get the red Factory service manuals, not Chiltons ior something else. You should be able to find the 2-volume set on ebay.
For the top, is it the pins on the back deck that are being difficult? If so, you can adjust (by trial and errror) the release cables once the deck lid is up.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:59 PM
jhobbs1824
7th Gear

Default Ride Controll

It's the button release for the deck that covers the foldup top if that helps. Those shocks are probably original to the car so the just may be 25 years old and have bad seals.
Also, when car first begins to turn over there is a loud rattling valve noise from under the hood. Car doesnt seem to have enough miles on it for bad valves I would think. Thoughts.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:10 AM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

2015 C4 of Year Finalist

It's the button release for the deck that covers the foldup top if that helps.
Have you tried the yellow release button in the console?
Problem might be the solenoids that release the deck.
There are manual release levers tucked away, (and hard to see), in the area where the top seat-belt mounts are.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:56 AM
jhobbs1824
7th Gear

Default deck lid

Yellow button only releases one side most of the time. Other side seems stuck. I get lucky every now and then and it will open. Never found the other release for the deck. There is a lever for the top I believe. Engine started overheating yesterday at red lights so I've having the relay's looked at today. Looking at BF Goodrich for tire replacement s. I am also looking into swapping the factory stereo as it is not very good and is somewhat antiquated. Any suggestions on speaker's. Thnx
Old 10-11-2017, 12:01 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I bought a 92 convertible with Bilstein's and ride control. She is riding rough and I keep getting flashed with ride control warning lights that go off. Is there a way to raise up the vette and add a little more comfort to the ride. Im not about racing or running just driving comfortably. She's low and scraps over everything. I previously had a Jaguar XJS and it never did scrap anything on the road. Is there a coil over shock that I can swap the Bilstein's for that will give a little bit of height and a more comfortable ride.
With the SRC light on, that means something is wrong with a shock controller, the shock itself, the gear on top of the shock rod or the controller itself (behind the driver's eat in the compartment.

It can be pricey to replace/rebuild the system depending on the problem. Bilstein used to offer a shock rebuilding service for the FX3 system, but IIRC, parts for the rear shocks are no longer available.

Going with a standard-type shock will be the best way to improve the ride. Bilstein Sport shocks will work as will the KYB Gas-A-Just shock. These shocks can be found online at places like RockAuto, Amazon, Vette Brakes, Van Steel, or some of the CF Supporting vendors.

Coilovers are another alternative and they can adjust the ride height. But the front and rear leaf springs will have to be removed. The rear spring is pretty simple to do, but the front spring does take some effort. You will need to get the car a good 3' off the ground to do this.

It sounds like a previous owner may have installed a lowering kit. These kits typically have a set of blocks that install at the front spring and longer bolts for the outside ends of the rear spring.
The following users liked this post:
jhobbs1824 (11-03-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Fiberbundle
Burning Brakes

Received 340 Likes on 263 Posts

I also bought a 92 with low miles (20,600) and changed tires, fluids, etc. They run hot 230 degrees during stop and go driving but should drop to 190 when in a good air flow. The fans only come on at around 230 but keep the car from going any higher. I also changed the knock sensors while flushing the cooling system, oxygen sensors, and filters.
Went with Nitto NT555 G2 for tires and they are great.
The low mileage cars just need a lot of attention since they did not get driven much. Keeps the interior and exterior in great shape but does not help in the mechanical end of things. They need to be driven.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:16 AM
jhobbs1824
7th Gear

I still don't feel it should be do unstable with the temperature fluctuating as it does. I had a Chevy truck for several years and never had any trouble keeping it constantly cool. Of course I ran a towing fan clutch as well. I noticed that the fan doesn't come on with the a/c as well so I know there's something off somewhere. I looked down at the two relay's mounted to the fan and they were both made in China. Bout broke my heart to see that. Such an American icon as a Corvette with parts made in China installed at the factory. I always thought that that was what you always got shopping at AutoZone but not Paducah, Ky. I would have paid a little more for the car if it were made with American made Parts. I would have felt better if it would have said Made in Germany where at least there is some quality.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:02 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Could be a bad relay that is causing the fan(s) to not run. IIRC, both relays are the same so maybe just swapping them may cause a fan to operate. Then just replace the other relay.

You will find that most replacement parts for just about any American car will show as being made in China, especially electrical parts. Sometimes you will luck out and find a part that is made in Mexico, Japan, or some other country. The manufacturers look for a place to get parts made at the lowest cost and still meet the specifications and (hopefully) some level of product life expectancy. Unfortunately, that is something that is rarely seen anymore.

Even brand new cars have some percentage of parts made off-shore. It's all about saving money.
The following users liked this post:
jhobbs1824 (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 04:34 PM
jhobbs1824
7th Gear

ordering new KYB shocks in hopes it will raise car up a few inches. Rear deck lid still will not release on driver's side. I found a manual pull but I think it just releases the top's pins. I ordered the temp sensor switch from corvette central so the fans will kick on sooner. Maybe now she'll run a little cooler. she doesnt run very good for a car with such low miles. misses and spits and sputter's going down the road. i ordered a tune up for her but its probably something like o2 senser or mass air flow sensor. I'll just have to replace stuff until I get it fixed. My biggest fear is it being like an intake gasket or something similar. not ready to take on that kind of repairs. hell I cant even put the top back up. Lol. I'm kind of getting a bad feeling about this car like I bought a 25 year old lemon.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:37 PM
Fiberbundle
Burning Brakes

Received 340 Likes on 263 Posts

If it misses, spits and sputters it could be any number of things. Just changing parts until you find a "cure" can get real expensive in a hurry. Get the service manuals and troubleshoot after you have them. It could be injectors, the opti, O2 sensors, bad or partially blocked fuel system pump or filters, any number of expensive parts or just something real easy. I doubt it is a "lemon" but a low mileage car will need attention and with the service manuals and taking the time to learn from them you should get it running well.
Mine was also a low mileage car and I make sure I drive it enough to go through at least a tank of gas a month to keep it running as it should.
Also if you update your profile to include your location a nearby member might offer to help. Also have you checked with the local Covette Clubs to see if anyone might be able to offer some advice?
Old 11-06-2017, 06:41 PM
jhobbs1824
7th Gear

Just a followup. I got lucky and the deck finally popped up (both sides). It looks like there was a sliver of carpet resting on the plastic part of the release. I cleaned up and lubricated
both of them and now it is working perfectly. Isn't always what someone else has already done that gets to you. Oh Well. KYB shocks are one the way for my weekend project. Ordered manuals from ebay, Also ordered a double din Sony Car Stereo. Will be nice to finally clean up the sound. Local shop wants over $500 to just install. For that kind of money I think I'll take a stab at it first, then if I run into problems I'll let him finish it. Bought a kit from Corvette Central to get the engine cooled down. Wasn't very much. I may let my mechanic put it in as you have to remove a few things to get access to the factory head plug. Looks kind of tough to get to. I am having the biggest problem picking out speakers. There are so many to choose from out there. I really don't want to hack away at the enclosure or use MDF to make an adapter. I have found some generic ones on ebay for cheap. The front brain is telling me to go with a stock size replacement speaker while the back brain stereo afficiado is saying, "buy the 8" Pyles, you'll be glad you did". I know, I know. I'm not 18 anymore, heck I don't listen to the same music anymore. I may stretch a little and go up a size to 6.5". I'm thinking Polk Audio now. The front ones, I'll have to ponder on a while longer. I saw were Polk Audio had a 4"x8" two way that might be made to fit the front kicker without to much trouble. It's all noise anyway when your driving with the top down. More on this later.

Get notified of new replies

To Ride Control

Quick Reply: Ride Control