C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Gaskets & Parts Advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 01:13 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
since I don't know what you're doing with you AC system, not sure I can comment on the choice of parts, especially the evaporator core. if you are buying a new core though, I wouldn't think you would need a repair kit. if you are replacing the evaporator core and if it's not supplied with a new orifice tube, might as well replace it. as for the rest of the parts, AC Delco is usually a good choice. as for the FPR - since overall quality today seems to be hit or miss today, I personally would choose the standard motor over the delco in this case. I have purchased the delco "professional" in the past, and it wouldn't hold pressure. seems the finish on the sealing button is the problem. some members have polished the button and that corrected the inherent problem.

for the EGR, here's a delco OE replacement - http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....041286&jsn=776 - note that it's less expensive than the "professional" -

looks like you've got most everything covered, other than fuel line O-rings (fuel filter and fuel line to fuel rail), and maybe an orifice tube. off the top of my head, can't think of anything else. maybe someone else can step in and comment -
thx Joe as usual very helpful
as for the AC I did the conversion to R134 replaced condenser and o-rings all was ok , until the AC technician found leak in the evaporator, Donno still if it can be fixed, so I’m looking for a replacement just Incase.
The EGR mentioned above someone from summit said it Does not fit 91! Donno how accurate is that.
Fuel line o-ring I’m looking at a set @ AutoRock not finalized yet.
Getting there slowly
Old 11-16-2017, 04:02 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEROVETTE7

thx Joe as usual very helpful
as for the AC I did the conversion to R134 replaced condenser and o-rings all was ok , until the AC technician found leak in the evaporator, Donno still if it can be fixed, so I’m looking for a replacement just Incase.
The EGR mentioned above someone from summit said it Does not fit 91! Donno how accurate is that.
Fuel line o-ring I’m looking at a set @ AutoRock not finalized yet.
Getting there slowly

from the AC Delco site - EGR Valve
Part Number: 214-5535
Product Notes:
EGR Valve
All; PROD# 17090106; VIN: 8*
Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1990-1991

http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/cat...log_search.php

this is the same part listed by RA - http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....041286&jsn=545 and summit racing - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...model/corvette

now, there have been a few cases where bad info from the originating source has filtered down into suppliers databases, but at some point, you have to trust someone. with three verified sources, personally, i'd go with that part number. FWIW....

Last edited by Joe C; 11-16-2017 at 04:15 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:29 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Ok change of plans..!! Found out that #7 got issue (reading 50psi) and oil is coming out from the dipstick tube! ... it’s the rings right?
I think I’ll take it for another opinion just to make sure.
If it was confirmed I believe this requires a re-build?

Any suggestions on the rebuild since this is my first time experiencing this?
TIA
Old 12-10-2017, 07:22 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

I tried-did the compression test and results as follows:
#1 = 109

#2 = 110

#3 = 109

#4 = 108

#5 = 108

#6 = 109

#7 = 110

#8 = 110

thoughts?? A really appreciate your feedback guys to know how to proceed.
TIA
Old 12-10-2017, 08:05 AM
Joe C
Race Director

I tried-did the compression test and results as follows:
#1 = 109

#2 = 110

#3 = 109

#4 = 108

#5 = 108

#6 = 109

#7 = 110

#8 = 110

thoughts?? A really appreciate your feedback guys to know how to proceed.
TIA
my 2-cents, FWIW -- while some may consider 108-110 to be low, what's important is all cylinders are pretty even - overall average, difference between high and low cylinder, and difference between any two adjacent cylinders are important factors. besides the gauge accuracy, now the question, was the engine warm, throttle body wide open, and how many crank pulses to obtain those readings. 109 +/- 1 psi, across the board, is pretty incredible, and IMO, somewhat questionable. what happened to that 50psi reading on #7 in your previous post?
Old 12-10-2017, 10:00 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

my 2-cents, FWIW -- while some may consider 108-110 to be low, what's important is all cylinders are pretty even - overall average, difference between high and low cylinder, and difference between any two adjacent cylinders are important factors. besides the gauge accuracy, now the question, was the engine warm, throttle body wide open, and how many crank pulses to obtain those readings. 109 +/- 1 psi, across the board, is pretty incredible, and IMO, somewhat questionable. what happened to that 50psi reading on #7 in your previous post?
thanks Joe, actually the first time was done i wasn’t convinced as the mechanic did not shared the readings, just informed me that # 7 is problematic with 50psi only!! So I took the car to a known garage (I guess more professional or knowledgeable) and got the above readings.
The question is do I have to go for a rebuild now or I can stil drive it for a while and once all the parts I want for the Mods I’m planning to do are with me, then, I’ll go for the rebuild with modifications?
Old 12-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Joe C
Race Director

thanks Joe, actually the first time was done i wasn’t convinced as the mechanic did not shared the readings, just informed me that # 7 is problematic with 50psi only!! So I took the car to a known garage (I guess more professional or knowledgeable) and got the above readings.
The question is do I have to go for a rebuild now or I can stil drive it for a while and once all the parts I want for the Mods I’m planning to do are with me, then, I’ll go for the rebuild with modifications?
you're the only one that can make that determination. how does the car feel to you? if you feel it has sufficient power, keep driving it. if it's running rough and feels like it won't get out of it's own way, maybe a rebuild is in order. couple questions, how's the oil consumption, oil pressure, operating temps, etc.. typically 110 on the compression is near the low end, but IMO, acceptable as long as there is not 10% between the high and low readings. I still suspect the readings since you're within 2 psi across the board. to me, those numbers are too close. usually when pressure readings are around 100 psi, a second test may be in order. dump about 5cc engine oil into each plug hole and run another compression test. If the readings jump, the rings maybe worn. if not, it just may only be valves and/or valve seats. I would run a second test and perform a cylinder leak down test before considering any rebuild. personally, I wouldn't panic with 110 readings if everything else seemed right. (just my 2-cents)

Last edited by Joe C; 12-10-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:44 PM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

you're the only one that can make that determination. how does the car feel to you? if you feel it has sufficient power, keep driving it. if it's running rough and feels like it won't get out of it's own way, maybe a rebuild is in order. couple questions, how's the oil consumption, oil pressure, operating temps, etc.. typically 110 on the compression is near the low end, but IMO, acceptable as long as there is not 10% between the high and low readings. I still suspect the readings since you're within 2 psi across the board. to me, those numbers are too close. usually when pressure readings are around 100 psi, a second test may be in order. dump about 5cc engine oil into each plug hole and run another compression test. If the readings jump, the rings maybe worn. if not, it just may only be valves and/or valve seats. I would run a second test and perform a cylinder leak down test before considering any rebuild. personally, I wouldn't panic with 110 readings if everything else seemed right. (just my 2-cents)
actually the car runs great, the only thing that triggers this issue (doing the compression test) was noticing some smoke coming out of the oil dipstick as you can see in the video:

Other than that temp is normal and oil consumption seems ok as I just did the service a couple of weeks ago with new oil filter. I’ll keep checking the oil.
In general the car still need some work (restoration) such as bushes, ball joints, engine mounts probably, new wheels, battery, and some interior work...

but I wanted to make sure engine is ok (priority) before spending on other areas... once all is checked I’ll start with the mods

Quick Reply: Gaskets & Parts Advise