C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Serious timing issue??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 03:10 PM
mystingray1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Serious timing issue??

So converted my 81 to TPI and am having some major timing issues. I have a large cap HEI distributor, initially the car would start and idle but when i came off of idle the timing went from 18 btdc to about 30 atdc with the blue advance wire disconnected so i put in a new ignition module and now it will start and run at about 18 btdc and so i turned it down to about 12 btdc where it will run for about 30 sec to a minute and then it will turn off, when i go to start it the timing light is now flashing at about 30-40 atdc so i think it is turning off when it make the timing shift which makes absolutely no sense to me and it is doing all of this with the blue wire disconnected so the ECM has no affect on this, do i need to spend money on another ignition module? What am i missing here?
Old 10-17-2017, 03:21 PM
mystingray1
Instructor

I just tried to start the car about 7 times wont start timing light flashing at about 30-40 atdc i can try again in about 20 minutes and it will start right up and be at about 12 btdc and run for about 30 sec at idle and then transition to 30-40 atdc dying in the process again all this with no ecm influence? i have never seen this before, is the new ignition module causing this flip flop
Old 10-17-2017, 07:04 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by mystingray1
I just tried to start the car about 7 times wont start timing light flashing at about 30-40 atdc i can try again in about 20 minutes and it will start right up and be at about 12 btdc and run for about 30 sec at idle and then transition to 30-40 atdc dying in the process again all this with no ecm influence? i have never seen this before, is the new ignition module causing this flip flop
Can you tell us more about the TPI to the 81 swap? You had to make a "custom" system of sorts and it would be helpful to know how you put it together.

Did it did EVER run well?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:08 PM
mystingray1
Instructor

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Can you tell us more about the TPI to the 81 swap? You had to make a "custom" system of sorts and it would be helpful to know how you put it together.

Did it did EVER run well?
Problem solved, looks like whoever put the distributor together that came with the FIRST Injections Unit wired the pick up coil backwards and this threw everything out of whack

Get notified of new replies

To Serious timing issue??

Quick Reply: Serious timing issue??