C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Serpentine Belt Keeps Falling OFF!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 08:16 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I believe what you think to be crack in the alternator is actually a casting flashing. The bolt @ the top of the alternator appears to be installed backward and it's difficult to see most everything else. The bolt being backwards if secured likely doesn't create an issue but I thought the bolt passed through the front and the threads were in the rear of the bracket.

Why do you have yours the way that you do?

The alternator bracket looks odd!

Do an eBay search for a 14087519 and that's what I'd expect on all L98 '86 - '91.

Your alternator brace I'd think would be easier and more secure if you did a standoff type affair with a longer bolt to the 3d bolt on the header. I realize it makes the brace maybe longer than you might like but likely more substantial, also I believe your brace needs attached higher on the alternator case then where you've pictured it. Very hard to tell.

There has to be others with a similar build '88 or '89. Check maybe with "WW7" he's not a very long drive away with an '89.

You're in NOVA maybe Centreville or vicinity?
I changed my 84 cfi to a miniram. I can't remember if I am using the stock 84 alternator bracket or an 85 (decades ago). The bracket broke a few years ago and replaced it with a later model. The first bracket had the bolt facing forward. My current one has the bolt facing backward. Not sure what year they switched.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:46 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Here is the 85 setup as I just finally put my lower Alt bracket. It helped straighten thing out
but my pulleys were not letting the belt jump.

Last edited by xrav22; 12-05-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:55 AM
littleredcorvette88
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the confusion here is a better photo of the alternator set up. Also the car is a 1991 btw and I'm located in the boston area. The reason for the non factory bracket is due to the smog pump delete pulley set up. I made the lower alternator brace run to #3 on the headers which you can kind of see in the photo as well. I'm almost wondering If I should get a smog pump and install and not hook up just so I can run the upper bracket instead of the smog pump delete pulley...

Last edited by littleredcorvette88; 12-06-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:01 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Sorry to say, but in my opinion, your "custom" bracketry is way too flimsy. When your tension pulley is jumping, the ridges on your belt are trying to jump to the next groove on your pulley.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:17 PM
littleredcorvette88
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Sorry to say, but in my opinion, your "custom" bracketry is way too flimsy. When your tension pulley is jumping, the ridges on your belt are trying to jump to the next groove on your pulley.

The bracket for the smoke pump delete pulley is a kit...I didn't make that but I agree it looks to flimsy. I know a ton of people on here run the delete kit tho with no issue and i have also for the last 10 years..
Old 12-06-2017, 05:15 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by littleredcorvette88
The bracket for the smoke pump delete pulley is a kit...I didn't make that but I agree it looks to flimsy. I know a ton of people on here run the delete kit tho with no issue and i have also for the last 10 years..
I confused your user ID for someone that I thought was located in NOVA. SORRY!!! Did you live in NOVA ever?

If you purchased this as a "kit" and were happy for 10 years with it then I'd think you should have no issues solving your issues. What have you changed? If it was a TPIS kit or a "counterfeit" of it I'd try to get a hold of the instructions and start fresh!! It actually may NOT be related to the alternator mounting/AIR delete. Many sold a similar kit most were likely "counterfeit" of someones original design. What branding do you believe you bought?

Here's a very nice fabrication I'd think works well. I haven't seen the fellow around much lately but it certainly appears like it should work!! He's of course not local!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1586735473

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-06-2017 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt Keeps Falling OFF!