C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

89 C4 cooling problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 11:10 AM
Chris Mckelvey
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 C4 cooling problem

Recently I've had a problem with my cooling system, I'm assuming coolant wouldn't circulate through the engine unless I was on the throttle a lot. My coolant temperature would hit 240 degrees and would drop back down to 190 after I lay on the throttle for a few seconds. I replaced my radiator, water pump, thermostat, and serpentine tensioner and so far the problem is still there. I did buy a cheap water pump, about 50$ so I'm banking on it being that. I'd like the some advice before I go tearing the ac compressor and fuel lines off again. Should I try a hi flow water pump?

Last edited by Chris Mckelvey; 10-21-2017 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-21-2017, 11:51 AM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Hopefully you've read the sticky on the cooling system. If not read it.

You cannot cool an engine 50 degrees in "a few seconds". So if you are really seeing that it could be an indication problem.

Basics, Check and clean the radiator (aka road vacuum). Check the fan operation.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:04 PM
Chris Mckelvey
Cruising

Originally Posted by belairbrian
Hopefully you've read the sticky on the cooling system. If not read it.

You cannot cool an engine 50 degrees in "a few seconds". So if you are really seeing that it could be an indication problem.

Basics, Check and clean the radiator (aka road vacuum). Check the fan operation.
That was a bit of an exaggeration, it comes down gradually when you get on the throttle, probably takes about 20-30 seconds to go from 240 or so back down to 190. Also, I plugged a paper clip into the engine diagnostic slot A and B and turned the key and my fan came on so I don't think it's the fan.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:13 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

When you replaced those parts, did you also replace the radiator coolant hoses? Could be that one or both are collapsing. That cuts off the coolant flow and temps go up.

Also make sure you clean out the junk that collects between the A/C condensor fins and tubes. If the condensor is clogged up, that cuts airflow to the radiator. Look up under the front to check for junk that may be clogging the condensor and not letting air get to the radiator.

Are the air dam pieces in good shape? The air dam is what directs airflow up to the condensor and radiator.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:30 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

The problem and the solution.....
Attached Images   
Old 10-21-2017, 02:18 PM
Chris Mckelvey
Cruising

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
When you replaced those parts, did you also replace the radiator coolant hoses? Could be that one or both are collapsing. That cuts off the coolant flow and temps go up.

Also make sure you clean out the junk that collects between the A/C condensor fins and tubes. If the condensor is clogged up, that cuts airflow to the radiator. Look up under the front to check for junk that may be clogging the condensor and not letting air get to the radiator.

Are the air dam pieces in good shape? The air dam is what directs airflow up to the condensor and radiator.
I didn't replace the hoses but they look good, they don't really show any kind of wear. The area between the ac condenser and radiator is wide open and clean as I took out my condenser since this car is mainly for track use. The air dam also looks like it's in pretty good shape. I'm starting to think it might be a problem in the block, maybe a head gasket. I'm gonna make sure the hoses don't collapse when I get home.

Last edited by Chris Mckelvey; 10-21-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Chris Mckelvey
Cruising

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
The problem and the solution.....
That's one hell of a clog but again I removed my ac condenser so that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:49 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

The radiator fan doesn't turn on til 238*. Are you sure there is anything "wrong"? There are ways to make these run cooler, but if yours is mostly stock, that's about where they run.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:34 PM
Chris Mckelvey
Cruising

It's the head gaskets. It finally started pouring smoke out of the tailpipe.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:46 AM
Movnviolation
Pro

240 isn't unusual for Calif driving. My 89 would climb in traffic. Would not cool down until I was moving. If it is a head gasket, when fixed, replace that stupid little aux. fan in front of condenser with a 14 inch pusher fan. Then wire it to a switch so you can control when your fans come on.
I also put a Becool radiator in.

Good luck
Old 10-25-2017, 10:45 PM
Chris Mckelvey
Cruising

Originally Posted by Movnviolation
240 isn't unusual for Calif driving. My 89 would climb in traffic. Would not cool down until I was moving. If it is a head gasket, when fixed, replace that stupid little aux. fan in front of condenser with a 14 inch pusher fan. Then wire it to a switch so you can control when your fans come on.
I also put a Becool radiator in.

Good luck
Thank you that's exactly what I'll do when I'm replacing the heads, but I already bought a champion radiator just because it's thicker and has no plastic.

Get notified of new replies

To 89 C4 cooling problem

Quick Reply: 89 C4 cooling problem