C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Performance gain

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 10:15 AM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
12 RWHP for $100 or so seems like a good deal. Nice article thanks for posting a link to that. Interesting about the air filter; plain paper saves money.

I just did a new paper (trying a Fram) filter for this reason. I've been a big K&N and/or Uni guy my whole life on my motorcycles but why cook the cash on a car is this particular dyno says not to?

I ended up getting an open air lid from here. As much as I didn't want to spend the 50.00 on a piece of rectangular plastic, I didn't want to carve up my stock lid. I shelved it to save it.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette...r-lid-603996-1

As previously stated, don't bother with the bypass hose on a '96, Just reroute.

The plastic MAF sensor housing is neat and obviously larger but take care screwing the screws in when you sandwich it. They just thread into plastic so it takes a little coercing.

I also did a 52mm BBK throttle body and exhaust at the same time so I want to get it to our local tuner. I will say one thing about opening up the intake. It's definitely louder, regarding air sucking sound....even at idle.

Last edited by 2LZ; 11-09-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:03 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

Looking at this another way - the 96 LT1 Auto was a 300 HP engine - the LS1 was a 350 HP engine. So - if you assume identical drivetrain losses, identical gearing, identical vehicle weight and grip (none of which are good assumptions) - you'd need at least 50 HP to just stay with the LS1 Car.

In 1996 - when the Chevy Engineers wanted to make a bit more power for the final year of the C4 - they did the LT4 motor - the big difference there was better flowing heads, along with a bit more valve lift via the 1.6:1 roller rockers. That picked them up roughly 30 HP (some people think a bit more).

If you look at the LT4 Hot Cam kit that used to be available thru Chevy - it would make around 420 HP with the LT4 heads, long tube headers, and a good tune.

So ... If you want to find about 70 HP - I'd say it would be hard to beat the idea of better heads, headers, a hotter cam, and a good tune. Expect to spend at least $1,250 - $1,500 for heads that will get you there - another few hundred for the roller rockers, the headers will run the better part of $1,000, another $500 or so for the cam kit (the factory springs are NOT going to live with more lift), and at least a few hundred - probably more for the tune - and that's assuming you do all the work yourself (except the tune). Most all of this could be used on a 383 Short Block if that's where you go in the future. oh - BTW - expect to see a loss in low RPM torque - expect to have to run the idle speed a bit higher with the cam - so the car isn't going to like to behave in stop and go driving unless you also go with a bit "looser" converter, and you'll definitely lose smoothness at idle.

Your call on where you go - but a 0 HP increase is certainly possible on the LT1 motors - but there will be some drawbacks....

Quick Reply: Performance gain