C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

is non oem optispark any good

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 04:49 PM
john roberts
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is non oem optispark any good

i was wondering if a non oem optispark is any good and if so what are your recommendations.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:27 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Welcome to the forum, I've found lots of great information here and some really knowledgeable people.

Please include your model year when posting. Things changed through the years so answers can be year dependent

I just replaced my 92 opti and spent considerable time reading here on the issue of what to buy.
First of all, I don't believe any NEW OEM optis exist. There are remanufactured OEM units available. but three different board members talked about only "needed parts" being replaced and ending up with questionable bearings. Also not sure what sensor is being used.

Would I use a $69 opti? No. But some have used them with good results.

I had it down to 2 choices The Petris that adds venting to the early version and the one being built by a guy in Ohio that uses a new Mitsubishi Sensors through eBay. (optisparksolutions@gmail.com) He also adds venting for the early version.

I choose the one from Ohio, but consider both good choices.

JMO but changing an opti is not hard, it IS time consuming and you will find other things that need to be changed.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:58 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I used a NAPA (Echlin) one and it lasted 5 years/30k miles. It was $500...I wouldn't buy another one.

To replace that one, I used vendor "Sac City" on here and got one for ~169, I think. It comes with a good warranty...we'll see how it goes.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Mishawaka
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My last was a Spectra I think from Oreillys, came with a lifetime warranty. Two years and so far so good.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:44 PM
bout-time
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not used this, but how about the Cardone Select? I know A1/Cardone used to be reputable for aftermarket parts, but not sure nowadays. Has anyone had any experience with this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PHK7L4/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2JZW5J8WN9AXL&colid=1BYAPSVYCIS81 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PHK7L4/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2JZW5J8WN9AXL&colid=1BYAPSVYCIS81
Old 11-12-2017, 06:39 PM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Default opti best

If you like to do things twice buy that Cardone . Do you know how much work it is to replace the opti? Here are the best AC Delco remanufactured or Petris out of alabama . My original gave me twenty years and when i removed it the rust and metal parts fell out amazed me how it ran! I know people who have new replacements and up to five ! (hoarders) Thats why you will never find a new GM. Also do not forget the water pump and coupling. Hoses because if they are original they are cooked! Watch the tee fittings they are all corroded (metal ones or what ever )Also torque ever item you remove with a torque wrench! Also if you have a hard time removing balancer just keep spraying WD 40 or any thing you can PB Blaster etc That took two days and i pried it off with a harbor freight two foot pry bar, tried puller waste of time. Dont forget the anti freeze and the distilled water and the knock sensor you snaped off trying to remove (another fifty dollars)Give me a C2 or C3 any day!
Old 11-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by fake
Do you know how much work it is to replace the opti?
Yes; about two hours worth of work.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:15 PM
Mishawaka
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've heard good things about Skip White optis but have never used one.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:00 AM
fake
Safety Car

Default Skip Who

Originally Posted by Mishawaka
I've heard good things about Skip White optis but have never used one.
Skip Who buy a opti with a life time warranty like oreilys hard to get rock auto to even acknowledge the purchase. As far as a two hour removal and replacement impossible! Unless you have a team feeding you the tools and parts. What about cleaning gaskets on the water pump etc?
Old 12-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Of course, cleaning and gasket scraping is part of the total time it takes to do the job.

Two hours is TOTALLY POSSIBLE
Old 12-09-2017, 10:23 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

No they are not any good.

you need one with the mitsubishi optical sensor.

and also ac delco remanufactured (that the dealer sells) have their own issues.

try to find a wrecked car, or old man on ebay selling a spare nos oem optispark, in a tattered old box.

note you will pay $400+ dollars for one (and thats also how much they sold for at dealer 15 -20 yrs ago also).

i have seen so many people here buy a $69'optispark or worse, buy a crappy msd optispark for $500.

a bad part here will literally kill you if it breaks you down on side of busy road.

Last edited by dizwiz24; 12-09-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:25 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

To the top !!!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:13 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

FWIW, I bought the AIP off Amazon for <$100 last year for my '95. Worked great for 8 months or so, and was still working when the new owner drove off. Looks like it's only offered through SacCity now and $50 more.

But before that, I bought the Petris for my '96. It too is still working well. About 5K miles now.

Petris offers an extended warranty, but I passed. Too many ways for them to say that I installed it WRONG, therefor warranty void. Not worth the court costs/time to remedy.

I have the OEM units on the shelf from both replacements and will likely swap the OEM sensor into a future replacement.

Tom can do it in 2hrs, but it took me 2 months. Damn balancer.

Hoping the anti-seize will help on the inevitable next round.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:20 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Not a 2 hr job.

4 hrs minimum.

dont rush it.

get the right part (mitsubishi optical sensor) so you dont have to worry about when/where you get broken down at
Old 12-12-2017, 10:51 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Not a 2 hr job.

4 hrs minimum.
Say What? 4 hr minimum? Did you see the LINK that I posted? Mitchell has it at 2.6hr for warranty flat rate.

I'm not saying that "everyone should be able to do it in ~2 hours" -I know that most people won't get their first one done that quickly. I'm saying what CAN be done, to make the point that it ain't that bad of a job and when done right, it can be pretty easy/quick.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:59 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

not a 2hr job first time for sure. I've pulled & installed GM "normal" distributors many many times before working on the LT1. Big difference with this version is you find lot's of other stuff that needs fixing/replacement while in there. maybe after doing this 3 or 4 times and then only having to replace the opti.......2hrs.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:17 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Say What? 4 hr minimum? Did you see the LINK that I posted? Mitchell has it at 2.6hr for warranty flat rate.

I'm not saying that "everyone should be able to do it in ~2 hours" -I know that most people won't get their first one done that quickly. I'm saying what CAN be done, to make the point that it ain't that bad of a job and when done right, it can be pretty easy/quick.
Even if i could get it done in 2 hrs, i would still rather spend the extra time getting a fail safe oem optispark with mitsubishi sensor.Add a vent harness to a92-94 to make it reliable like the 94-96.Can also use a little bit of rtv silicone, in addition to the seals as insurance in cAse the seals crack.This is my opinion, but....making the vette run cooler (mine runs 174 f instead of 215 f) will also help it last longer. I reprogrammed fans and did 160 t stat

Get notified of new replies

To is non oem optispark any good

Old 12-13-2017, 06:29 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

O.K. I understand how you get "4 hours min" now. Yeah, I wouldn't do any of that stuff. Throw in a new one, button 'er up and go burn some rubber!
Old 12-15-2017, 10:55 AM
fake
Safety Car

Default PB blaster

Originally Posted by Renfield
FWIW, I bought the AIP off Amazon for <$100 last year for my '95. Worked great for 8 months or so, and was still working when the new owner drove off. Looks like it's only offered through SacCity now and $50 more.

But before that, I bought the Petris for my '96. It too is still working well. About 5K miles now.

Petris offers an extended warranty, but I passed. Too many ways for them to say that I installed it WRONG, therefor warranty void. Not worth the court costs/time to remedy.

I have the OEM units on the shelf from both replacements and will likely swap the OEM sensor into a future replacement.

Tom can do it in 2hrs, but it took me 2 months. Damn balancer.

Hoping the anti-seize will help on the inevitable next round.

Try PB blaster next time but cover your plug wires it ate through one ! After three days i pried mine off with back and forth motion. Screw these balancer removal tools and these videos done on a liftwith two guys. Prying off is the easy way
Old 12-15-2017, 11:03 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by fake
Try PB blaster next time but cover your plug wires it ate through one ! After three days i pried mine off with back and forth motion. Screw these balancer removal tools and these videos done on a liftwith two guys. Prying off is the easy way
LOL. It took nearly an entire can of PB blaster.

My daily routine for over a month: crawl under the car, blast the rear of the balancer with PB, pound on the balancer from behind with a 4lb hammer and steel bar, rotate balancer, reapply PB, keep pounding.

I did this almost daily to exhaustion. One of the most epic and horrible experiences in my 40 years of wrenching. Closest I've come to selling. And the wife's '95 was even worse.

As I said, hopefully the anti-seize will help with the inevitable round two.

Quick Reply: is non oem optispark any good