C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'84 alarm

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 02:56 PM
71TTop
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '84 alarm

Have an '84 that I can not figure out how to shut off alarm. I bought this car used and it came with no manual.

Any help please?
Old 11-21-2017, 03:54 PM
71TTop
Advanced

Default '84 alarm

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
Factory alarm dis-arms by turning the outside door key (round head) towards the rear of the car. (Unlock). Either door should dis-arm it. If one side doesn't try the other side.

And there of course could be an aftermarket alarm that's giving the trouble.
It didn't work. Both doors did nothing until I disconnected the neg terminal. Have not had this problem in past but sure have it now.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:14 PM
71TTop
Advanced

Default '84 alarm

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
What does the SECURITY light (above the radio) do?

Here's what it SHOULD do:
With doors closed and IGN = OFF, SEC light = OFF.
Open either door, SEC light = FLASHING
With SEC light flashing, close the doors. When last door closes, SEC light goes SOLID-ON for a few seconds, and then goes OFF. System is now armed.

I assume the "alarm" that is set off is the stock horn. Beep, beep, beep, etc. Not a siren or chirper of an aftermarket.

Another check. With the alarm sounding, try to crank the engine. The factory set up has a starter interrupt while the alarm is triggered.

If it IS the factory alarm acting up, the easiest remedy is probably to disable it by disconnecting the module. It's one connector with about 10 wires in it. I forget exactly where the module is in an 84, but it's behind the radio / DIC, above the RH hush panel, or under the top pad. IP pad removal in the 84-89 isn't tough at all. 20 minutes.

There's some ideas.

OK, it is stock alarm as it is a horn blowing and key will NOT turn engine over, it is blocked out.

I'll hold you to 20 min. and not tough.<VBG>
Old 11-21-2017, 08:53 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by 71TTop
OK, it is stock alarm as it is a horn blowing and key will NOT turn engine over, it is blocked out.
Wait a minute!! IHBD is usually an aficionado at fixing thing right! Don't give up so easily!

IBHD, you forgot to say that for normal alarm operation to set the alarm, you need to press the "door lock" button on either door, then close the door. If you just follow this procedure without pressing the "door lock" button, the alarm should NOT be set.

If you use the slider buttons to lock each door, your alarm will NOT be set. It's okay to press the "door un-lock" button to un-lock both doors, but don't press the "door lock" button.

Question: After you have disconnected the Neg battery terminal, as you have described, does your alarm still blare? This should reset the alarm so you can drive the car. If this resets the alarm, try locking the doors by using the slider locks only. Don't press the "door lock" buttons. Are you okay?

One step at a time. Please answer this question.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:10 PM
71TTop
Advanced

I press the door lock button on driver door. Alarm goes off when I try to unlock and open driver door. Nothing makes it stop honking until I disconnect neg cable. When I hook it back up, no horn and I can drive it.

Not sure about slider buttons you speak of.

Get notified of new replies

To '84 alarm

Quick Reply: '84 alarm