C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

91 Fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 02:34 PM
JBJrC4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 91 Fuel issue

I've been having problems keeping my car on. It'll start then die, sometimes it'll last a while on before dying. I've installed a new fuel pump, fuel filter, and plugs. I checked the fuel pressure regulator and it appeared normal. No tears or anything. So can I say I have an injector problem? Reason I say it's a fuel issue is because if I spray starting fluid it'll start then die.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:42 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Reyes
I've been having problems keeping my car on. It'll start then die, sometimes it'll last a while on before dying. I've installed a new fuel pump, fuel filter, and plugs. I checked the fuel pressure regulator and it appeared normal. No tears or anything. So can I say I have an injector problem? Reason I say it's a fuel issue is because if I spray starting fluid it'll start then die.
Get a noid light and see if the injectors are firing.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:07 AM
woody41
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a similar issue with my 91, if injectors and fuel system check out OK check your cats. If they are the original, one or all may be clogged and/or collapsed. That was issue with mine, both of the pre-cats were done. Mine would start and as soon as you touched throttle engine would die. Replaced the 3 with a single high flow cat and new mufflers and pipes, runs like a new one.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:22 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Sounds to me like the problem lies in the fuel. Either pressure or injectors. As suggested, get a noid light and see if the injectors are firing. If they are, they are shot. If not, look upstream
Old 11-27-2017, 11:25 AM
JBJrC4
Instructor

Originally Posted by aklim
Sounds to me like the problem lies in the fuel. Either pressure or injectors. As suggested, get a noid light and see if the injectors are firing. If they are, they are shot. If not, look upstream
I checked the resistance of the injectors and four checked out bad.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:27 AM
aklim
Team Owner

I checked the resistance of the injectors and four checked out bad.
https://fuelinjectorconnection.com/c...d-rail-o-rings

Change the regulator diaphragm while you are there and fuel filter.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:30 AM
JBJrC4
Instructor

https://fuelinjectorconnection.com/c...d-rail-o-rings

Change the regulator diaphragm while you are there and fuel filter.
Those injectors are on the way. I have changed the fuel filter, and the fuel pressure regulator checked out fine, but I plan to replace it once I get some money.

Driver side resistance

Passenger side
Old 11-27-2017, 11:40 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Those injectors are on the way. I have changed the fuel filter, and the fuel pressure regulator checked out fine, but I plan to replace it once I get some money.

Driver side resistance

Passenger side
You are taking the manifold off and the diaphragm is cheap. Might as well replace the old rubber since you are there already.

https://fuelinjectorconnection.com/c...and-spring-kit

I wouldn't want to have to go back in and pull everything out.

While you are there, get a new set of gaskets for the TB. Take the IAC and the IAC housing off, clean the passages. Don't forget the top plate. Put everything back with fresh gaskets.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:43 AM
JBJrC4
Instructor

You are taking the manifold off and the diaphragm is cheap. Might as well replace the old rubber since you are there already.

https://fuelinjectorconnection.com/c...and-spring-kit

I wouldn't want to have to go back in and pull everything out.

While you are there, get a new set of gaskets for the TB. Take the IAC and the IAC housing off, clean the passages. Don't forget the top plate. Put everything back with fresh gaskets.
That's true, but yes I will wait to install the plenum to be able to purchase the regulator and install that. I'll clean the throttle body and iac. I ordered the same injectors you linked with the new gaskets and o rings.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:46 AM
aklim
Team Owner

That's true, but yes I will wait to install the plenum to be able to purchase the regulator and install that. I'll clean the throttle body and iac. I ordered the same injectors you linked with the new gaskets and o rings.
Might as well do the coolant bypass to make it neater and easier to remove next time
Old 11-27-2017, 11:47 AM
JBJrC4
Instructor

Might as well do the coolant bypass to make it neater and easier to remove next time
Coolant bypass?
Old 11-27-2017, 11:49 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Coolant bypass?
Look at the TB. Under it there is a coolant hose going in and out of the TB. It will get gunked up sooner or later and to properly clean it, the TB should be removed. That means another coolant spill. Might as well bypass the TB so that it can be easily removed. It takes a connector for the hoses.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:51 AM
aklim
Team Owner

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...-bye-pass.169/

Get notified of new replies

To 91 Fuel issue

Quick Reply: 91 Fuel issue