C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rough cold start L98

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 07:26 PM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rough cold start L98

Thanks in advance: I have a 1989 L98 with 30,000 miles. The previous owner installed new injectors, but I am not sure which he used. I am hoping the forum can help me with a checklist to diagnose the following issue: On first start/cold start, the engine “stumbles” to life. All other fuel injected cars I’ve ever owned catch right away and then settle into a smooth idle. Since I’ve owned this C4, on cold start it acts like a carburetor and kind of stumbles as though not all the cylinders are firing at once, then it slowly catches and sounds very good while working itself to a smooth idle. It only happens on the first start of the day when the engine is cold. I can drive it all day and except for the cold start, it will roar to life, climb to a 1500 rpm and then settles to about 750 at idle. I’m hoping to get a list of things to check in order.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:22 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Timing, run 87 octane, fuel pressure should hold over 43psi with key on. Fuel pressure should respond immediately when key is turned to run, coolant full...that is a start
Old 12-04-2017, 09:13 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
Timing, run 87 octane, fuel pressure should hold over 43psi with key on. Fuel pressure should respond immediately when key is turned to run, coolant full...that is a start
. Given the age and Low Mileage have you taken a look under the Distributor Cap and see if it has Crud build up on the contacts or signs of condensation causing some cross arching.
​​​​​​

Last edited by s carter; 12-04-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:36 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

fuel pressure should hold over 43psi with key on. Fuel pressure should respond immediately when key is turned to run, coolant full...that is a start
The Kevova is correct... If you have a hard (lots of spinning and stumbling) and then it runs after warm you most likely have a fuel pressure issue.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:19 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

I get pretty nervous when you say "installed new injectors but don't.....". Did he dump bigger injectors AND DID NOT adjust the ECM? Was it from some junkyard? Hard to say.

I would scan the car and see what the ECM thinks the coolant temp is. Check that against ambient temp or better yet, against an infrared thermometer. As mentioned, fuel pressure, spark quality and if the plug wires are leaking.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:48 AM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Fuel pressure should stay high, 35+psi, for more than 20 minutes after keyoff.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Thanks all for the tips. I’ll check the distributor and coolant level. The PO has a receipt for new injectors, but it does not specify the brand or type. I installed a new water pump just after purchase as it was weeping a bit. Car runs nice and cool and will run up to 228 before fans kick on to bring it back down to 220 in heavy traffic on the hottest days. I will have to investigate the fuel pressure. It does almost seem like a fuel pressure issue as it could leak down after the car cools down and cause a cold start issue. No obvious signs of a fuel leak or fuel smells either. Will also break out my handy dandy paperclip to check for codes. Just wanted to male sure there was nothing really obvious I was not thinking of...
Old 12-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Any particular reason for 87? I have been using 92 thinking the injectors may have been a bit fouled in addition to some off the shelf fuel system cleaners, but the problem persists.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Highlander1732
The PO has a receipt for new injectors, but it does not specify the brand or type.

I will have to investigate the fuel pressure. It does almost seem like a fuel pressure issue as it could leak down after the car cools down and cause a cold start issue.

No obvious signs of a fuel leak or fuel smells either.

Will also break out my handy dandy paperclip to check for codes. Just wanted to male sure there was nothing really obvious I was not thinking of...
Receipt from where? They should know what they sold.

That won't happen unless something is broke. If I shut down right now and pull the key out then insert it back and turn the key to "run", the fuel pump will not prime. IDK after how long it takes but after a "wait time", it will prime again so even if there is no fuel pressure, if it primes, it will be at spec.

Kinda why I suggested a gauge. It tells if the regulator is bad or not also.

The ECM isn't that sophisticated. Codes mean something is FUBAR and really out of whack.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:05 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Highlander1732
Any particular reason for 87? I have been using 92 thinking the injectors may have been a bit fouled in addition to some off the shelf fuel system cleaners, but the problem persists.

Problem persists after adding fuel system cleaners? Well, add more. Keep adding till you go broke or the problem goes away. The cleaners are working as planned. To separate people from their money.

Get notified of new replies

To Rough cold start L98

Quick Reply: Rough cold start L98