C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

To EMS or not to EMS

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 10:22 PM
ray1989
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To EMS or not to EMS

Hello all - i am a new member... short story: my father (a great man), always dreamed of having a corvette, and in 1989 he ordered his new corvette, with everything that he could get from the soon to be offered, next year ZR1 package, and to a stock L98 engine he added a Paxton / Carroll supercharger with a max boost pressure of 9.5 P.S.I., as well as a 60 oz. dry sump oiling cooling & filtration system @ 19 lbs.

He could not wait for the car to come, but before it could arrive, he suffered a massive heart attack - i was able to give him CPR and save his life... he lived another 25 years, passing away two years ago. he had lost the ability to really keep up with the car in his failing health, the supercharger has seized, and i stepped in and told him that i wanted to bring the car back to the same status that he always kept it.. i sent out the supercharger to be rebuilt and now have the car back in my dad's "original" setup.

the question i have for you (which i have just started to check out) - it's been recommended to me that i install a stand alone EMS, to keep the car running the best it can.. or, should i just update / replace the original computer, and the MAF sensor and keep it as close to as my dad had it?

any input from you all would be greatly appreciated...
Old 12-05-2017, 11:16 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,472 Likes on 14,066 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C4 Tech.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,965 Posts

Originally Posted by ray1989
Hello all - i am a new member... short story: my father (a great man), always dreamed of having a corvette, and in 1989 he ordered his new corvette, with everything that he could get from the soon to be offered, next year ZR1 package, and to a stock L98 engine he added a Paxton / Carroll supercharger with a max boost pressure of 9.5 P.S.I., as well as a 60 oz. dry sump oiling cooling & filtration system @ 19 lbs.

He could not wait for the car to come, but before it could arrive, he suffered a massive heart attack - i was able to give him CPR and save his life... he lived another 25 years, passing away two years ago. he had lost the ability to really keep up with the car in his failing health, the supercharger has seized, and i stepped in and told him that i wanted to bring the car back to the same status that he always kept it.. i sent out the supercharger to be rebuilt and now have the car back in my dad's "original" setup.

the question i have for you (which i have just started to check out) - it's been recommended to me that i install a stand alone EMS, to keep the car running the best it can.. or, should i just update / replace the original computer, and the MAF sensor and keep it as close to as my dad had it?

any input from you all would be greatly appreciated...
Before we go there, why exactly do you need to update the EMS? Who put the supercharger on? Did they do the updates then or what?
Old 12-06-2017, 02:42 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Your best bet to to figure out what's on there and then discuss with Greg Carrol of Blowerworks who sold that kit originally. Heck he may have even worked on it over the years
Old 12-06-2017, 03:44 PM
oscarm98
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ems ecu

It really depends how much sleuthing you are willing to do. I acquired a 1993 C4 LT1 (ZF six speed) 383 supercharged / intercooled with coil packs and ignition driver and secondary injector set with it's own boost controlled driver.

I am still sorting it out but have installed the MegaSquirt MS3 system and currently have four separate computers running the engine. ECU with piggyback chip, Ignition coil pack control processor, MS3 (for port fuel injection only at this point) and a sequential injector controller.

If you are willing to learn, I would highly recommend the MegaSquirt route. Their tools and support are really outstanding. I have eliminated all the EGR and emissions controls, so that made self tuning much easier.

I hope that this helps.

Oscar

Get notified of new replies

To To EMS or not to EMS

Quick Reply: To EMS or not to EMS