C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1989 Fusible link junction block conversion to fuses

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 07:26 PM
JasBass
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 1989 Fusible link junction block conversion to fuses

Has anyone out there converted the fusible link bundle on the driver's side power block to a true fused setup? Cleaning up the harness and sorting a few things. Thought this might be a nice project while I was in there and also add some more modern safety
Old 12-09-2017, 09:00 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Originally Posted by JasBass
Has anyone out there converted the fusible link bundle on the driver's side power block to a true fused setup? Cleaning up the harness and sorting a few things. Thought this might be a nice project while I was in there and also add some more modern safety
The links actually serve a very useful purpose, they'll absorb a high current surge without blowing where if "fused" the wiring to the fuse box would/could be destroyed until the fuse blew. A friend uses fusible links where they're OEM and in some street-rod projects where the wiring is "all his" he does differently more like the later C4's with under-hood fuse boxes that use MAXI etc.

Older wiring where insulation is shrink and connectors have aged I'd think I'd leave the links. It might be interesting to maybe identify and tag them while cleaning.
The following 2 users liked this post by WVZR-1:
JasBass (12-09-2017), simracer (03-20-2020)
Old 12-09-2017, 09:23 PM
JasBass
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Older wiring where insulation is shrink and connectors have aged I'd think I'd leave the links. It might be interesting to maybe identify and tag them while cleaning.[/QUOTE]

Very interesting, I never thought about it from the standpoint of the box itself melting before the fuse blew. Every time i'm working on that driver's side, my OCD kicks in looking at that link bundle. I'm starting to understand a clean wiring install on the C4 engine bay is a pipe dream. I appreciate the info my friend
Old 12-10-2017, 08:36 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

OK guys ! I am upset here !!!! Grrrrrrrrr !

Why not first ask why 'fusible link' vs. 'fuse' ????

Later - greg
Old 12-10-2017, 10:25 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BlowerWorks
OK guys ! I am upset here !!!! Grrrrrrrrr !

Why not first ask why 'fusible link' vs. 'fuse' ????

Later - greg
Why not circuit breakers?
Old 12-10-2017, 03:03 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Splitting off circuits to into individual fuses happens mostly when trying isolate intermittent shorts.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:57 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Why not circuit breakers?
Resistance ...........
Old 12-11-2017, 09:37 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 549 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by BlowerWorks
Resistance ...........

.........to what?
Old 12-11-2017, 10:34 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Fusible links wire is designed to "pop" anywhere along it. They typically protect feed circuits to fuse boxes. If a fusible link chaffs shield or is burnt by manifold it "pops". Regular wire may cause fire.

Circuit breakers don't come in all sizes. Because they reset is good in some cases, but can cause harness damage in others. Since the power continues to cycle until wiring burns or circuit breaker fails. There can be extensive damage as a result.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:41 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
Fusible links wire is designed to "pop" anywhere along it. They typically protect feed circuits to fuse boxes. If a fusible link chaffs shield or is burnt by manifold it "pops". Regular wire may cause fire.

Circuit breakers don't come in all sizes. Because they reset is good in some cases, but can cause harness damage in others. Since the power continues to cycle until wiring burns or circuit breaker fails. There can be extensive damage as a result.
They can be had auto and MANUAL reset
Old 12-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

In general automotive use circuit breakers are self resetting. Manual resetting are for specialized applications in regards to automotive. In a racing application the manual resetting fuse/ circuit breaker is handy in being able to quickly identify electrical troubles.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:11 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

If a fusible link chaffs shield or is burnt by manifold it "pops". Regular wire may cause fire.
Can you explain this statement further and where you acquired this information?
Old 12-11-2017, 03:23 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Invest in a automotive electrical text book. Fusible link is not standard wire, it's intended for a certain amount of current and melts when it is exceeded. Regular wire the whole wire will carry the current it doesn't have a limiting factor. A 14 gauge wire coming off battery if shorted to ground will carry the 525 amps to ground until wire melts. The heat generated can cause a fire. Fusible link is less than 12 inches usually and won't carry nearly that much current. The maxi fuse is replacing fusible links where battery cables are used to provide power to fuse and relay center. Battery cable is routed so there is little chance of shorting to ground.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:11 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Invest in a automotive electrical text book. Fusible link is not standard wire, it's intended for a certain amount of current and melts when it is exceeded. Regular wire the whole wire will carry the current it doesn't have a limiting factor. A 14 gauge wire coming off battery if shorted to ground will carry the 525 amps to ground until wire melts. The heat generated can cause a fire. Fusible link is less than 12 inches usually and won't carry nearly that much current. The maxi fuse is replacing fusible links where battery cables are used to provide power to fuse and relay center. Battery cable is routed so there is little chance of shorting to ground.
You might want to re-read your automotive textbook. ALL wire melts when its current carrying capacity is exceeded. Fusible links are generally 4 AWG sizes SMALLER than the wire they are connected to so it melts first. Other than a non-combustible sheath, the copper wire inside is no different than any other copper wire. I can guarantee you that a 14 gauge is not going to carry 525 amps very long! How fast can you blink?
Old 12-11-2017, 06:13 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

The 525 refers to the cca of a 12v battery. 14 gauge wire does always go poof when shorted. Alternator output wire would be 12-14 accidentally grounding are wrench does not melt the wire immediately might burn your hand severely if it trapped. Fusible links are supposed to be 4 gauges smaller. The composition of the wire is different. Metals melt at different temperatures. I've done my share of underhood fire and overheated wiring repairs. Back to the subject use fusible link were necessary not general purpose copper wire.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:50 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Fusible links are supposed to be 4 gauges smaller.
Your statement above is exactly what I told YOU in my previous post. If you think that fusible link copper wire has a different composition and this is what provides the protection, try a little experiment for me.(try it on your car) Take a 16 gauge fusible link and tie it into a 16 gauge branch wire. Now, cause an intentional short and see what happens. By your way of thinking, the link should protect the conductor right? You willing to try that? The protection is provided by the fact the current carrying capacity is less than the conductor it is protecting and it will melt first. Your thoughts would suggest there is no need for the link to be smaller than the circuit it is protecting, even though you agree that is the installation criteria. I have included a link below from a major cable manufacturer that manufactures this wire. The first item under "Fusible Link Cable Construction" says that the conductor is bare copper wire - no mention of any special composition. Post up a link supporting your claim so I can study up.

http://www.awcwire.com/ProductSpec.a...ible-link-wire

Last edited by arbee; 12-11-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

My '84 FSM shows fusible links by their conductor sizes.
For harness wire of 5.0sq.mm (10awg), link is 2.0sq.mm (14awg).
Harness wire 3.0sq.mm (12awg), link is 1.0sq.mm (16awg) or .5sq.mm (20awg).
Harness wire 2.0sq.mm (14awg), link is .5sq.mm (20awg).

Fuses require sockets, which are subject to moisture and corrosion. Fusible links are sealed. A f/l can be put anyplace, rather than having to route the wire to a weather protected fuse panel. I would also suspect that the cost of a f/l is less than the cost of a fuse and socket.

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 Fusible link junction block conversion to fuses

Old 12-13-2017, 12:47 PM
Red 91
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I look at FL the same as slo-blow fuses.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:56 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Greg was the guy that "growled" and he's not returned to expound regarding.

Wonder why!

If a car is used in daily driving, wired originally with fusible links it just makes sense to repair and leave stock. You start changing things to suit yourself you certainly could diminish the resale and also likely reliability if you're less than an EXPERT. When wired as original all FSM documents are certainly more effective for diagnostics.

A heavily modified car certainly might be a candidate for something 'other than original' but that I believe up to the individual. A C4 with the battery block and NOT modified I can't see any reason for changing!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-13-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:23 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Red 91
I look at FL the same as slo-blow fuses.

You are exactly right. That is their purpose. Protect the circuit yet allow momentary in-rush currents.

Quick Reply: 1989 Fusible link junction block conversion to fuses