C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

88 coupe update

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 11:49 PM
TravisSchoech
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 88 coupe update

Finally got a chance to install the ported heads and big cam I scored from my dad (aksracing) from his 87 vert.

Added a Victor Jr intake with some port matching, and some longtube headers to complement the package.

Swapped out the diff for a 3.45:1 gearset D44.

Running the original 4+3 trans, but I have a ZF6 ready to toss in.

The car weighs in below 2900 with 1/2 tank.

I converted the front suspension to coilovers last year, and I love it.

This car is starting to get a bit rowdy, and I'm looking for some traction advice. It is very unpredictable on nitto NT555 G2's in stock size, but seems pretty happy on Toyo R888R's in a 315 width. It just has quite a bit of oversteer.

The car is very light. It's gutted except for the driver seat and dash. Only has the basic accessories needed to pass inspection and make it run. No A/C, ABS, computer, etc.

I am retiring the car from autocross as it isn't competitive enough in it's class (SSM), and I'm looking to do high speed 1/2mi and 1mi events.
(We are running the 03Z06 next year)

So... stick with leaf in the rear and upgrade the shocks, or go ahead and swap to coilovers?

Add ballast to the rear? Soften up the rear bar?
Old 12-10-2017, 01:02 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisSchoech
Finally got a chance to install the ported heads and big cam I scored from my dad (aksracing) from his 87 vert.

Added a Victor Jr intake with some port matching, and some longtube headers to complement the package.

Swapped out the diff for a 3.45:1 gearset D44.

Running the original 4+3 trans, but I have a ZF6 ready to toss in.

The car weighs in below 2900 with 1/2 tank.

I converted the front suspension to coilovers last year, and I love it.

This car is starting to get a bit rowdy, and I'm looking for some traction advice. It is very unpredictable on nitto NT555 G2's in stock size, but seems pretty happy on Toyo R888R's in a 315 width. It just has quite a bit of oversteer.

The car is very light. It's gutted except for the driver seat and dash. Only has the basic accessories needed to pass inspection and make it run. No A/C, ABS, computer, etc.

I am retiring the car from autocross as it isn't competitive enough in it's class (SSM), and I'm looking to do high speed 1/2mi and 1mi events.
(We are running the 03Z06 next year)

So... stick with leaf in the rear and upgrade the shocks, or go ahead and swap to coilovers?

Add ballast to the rear? Soften up the rear bar?
great looking car. I have coilover on the front of my 88 but personally I find the rear Z51 leaf works pretty good, but i have never run 1/2mi events so I'm not sure what is required.

Is this basically a 1/2mi drag race yoyr wanting to do?
Old 12-10-2017, 06:56 AM
TravisSchoech
Racer

Yes it's basically a half mile drag race with a relatively soft start. Looking for top speed, not necessarily reaction times/60'/E.T.

I just need to be able to get her down the road with as much traction as possible.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:56 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisSchoech
Yes it's basically a half mile drag race with a relatively soft start. Looking for top speed, not necessarily reaction times/60'/E.T.

I just need to be able to get her down the road with as much traction as possible.
DRM has some trailing arm brackets that change the geometry of the suspension a little to help with launches... If you are just doing soft starts and a high speed run I would think the stock suspension should be reasonably adequet as long as all the components are in good shape.

I have have the full banski heim joint kit on my car as well as the DRM brackets (camber and strut rod) and the rear suspension is wonderful. But for what your doing I'm not sure all those upgrades to the rear are necessary.

Another thing to look at is maybe playing with the alignment settings a bit. Since your just going straight and want traction I would think Zero rear camber would yeild the best contact patch with just a little rear toe-in. You will probably want a little toe in on the front also to keep the car from 'wandering at high speed.

If you were wanting to launch hard I would say drag shocks too but that doesn't seem necessary based on your description.

You can also relocate the battery to the compartment behind the passenger's seat to get a little more weight over the rear wheels.

I'm not sure how fast you get in the 1/2mile but be sure the brakes are in good shape.

Oversteer can be corrected by the use of a larger front or smaller rear bar as well as to a lesser extent alignment changes.... but if your just going on straight 1/2mi runs oversteer shouldn't be a concern...unless there are turns.

Hope my suggestions help, and maybe some one with more knoweldge of how to setup a car for this type of event will chime in.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 12-10-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:23 AM
TravisSchoech
Racer

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
DRM has some trailing arm brackets that change the geometry of the suspension a little to help with launches... If you are just doing soft starts and a high speed run I would think the stock suspension should be reasonably adequet as long as all the components are in good shape.

I have have the full banski heim joint kit on my car as well as the DRM brackets (camber and strut rod) and the rear suspension is wonderful. But for what your doing I'm not sure all those upgrades to the rear are necessary.

Another thing to look at is maybe playing with the alignment settings a bit. Since your just going straight and want traction I would think Zero rear camber would yeild the best contact patch with just a little rear toe-in. You will probably want a little toe in on the front also to keep the car from 'wandering at high speed.

The alignment is set up pretty conservatively. Slight toe-out in the front with a bit of negative camber. Neutral rear toe with about 1/2° negative camber.

I am sure I could throw some more negative camber at it in the rear to help with cornering, but it would make the straight line traction problem even worse.

If you were wanting to launch hard I would say drag shocks too but that doesn't seem necessary based on your description.

You can also relocate the battery to the compartment behind the passenger's seat to get a little more weight over the rear wheels.

I'm not sure how fast you get in the 1/2mile but be sure the brakes are in good shape.

Oversteer can be corrected by the use of a larger front or smaller rear bar as well as to a lesser extent alignment changes.... but if your just going on straight 1/2mi runs oversteer shouldn't be a concern...unless there are turns.

It's a Z51 package car, so it has the hardest spring and bar in the rear. The rear is empty except for a tire gauge in the cubby hole.

Add some ballast (battery), and try to find a softer spring to help it squat, and a softer bar to help it roll over a bit?

I'm trying to get away from the autocross mentality for this car, so I guess I need to focus more on the straight line traction and high speed stability.

Hope my suggestions help, and maybe some one with more knoweldge of how to setup a car for this type of event will chime in.
replied,

thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To 88 coupe update

Quick Reply: 88 coupe update