C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1996 VATS delete

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 12:01 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Default 1996 VATS delete

Any way in the ECU to remove the VATS/Passkey stuff?

Swapping the ECU into a race car, prefer to not have to mess with that stuff.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:24 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

The easiest thing to do is find the resistance of the pellet in the key or find the key code on the 15 key chart and get the center resistance for that key. Then just add a resistor across the 2 wires for the key contact switch in the column. Then you can use any kind of ignition switch you want.

Also there is no ECU "name" used for the 96 (and others). The 96 uses a PCM for the engine computer. (ECU is reference to for older GM cars). The key pellet resistance is read by the CCM where it is part of the VATS system in the CCM . The PCM which runs the engine is turned on by the CCM so communication is necessary.
The following users liked this post:
RandomTask (12-12-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 11:58 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,233 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Are you having a genuine problem or is this just a case of you thinking it could be a problem and hence wanting to eliminate it?
Old 12-14-2017, 02:17 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Are you having a genuine problem or is this just a case of you thinking it could be a problem and hence wanting to eliminate it?
Pretty self explanatory. OP says he is putting it into a racecar and doesn't want to mess with it.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:35 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

easiest VATs bypass.....get on down the road

Last edited by pacoW; 12-14-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:46 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pacoW
easiest VATs bypass.....get on down the road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrX3EF-5gCE
Confused

I will not dispute your findings on the Camaro and what works for you.

But there nothing under the hood that looks the wiring on a corvette, where is the ECM, and wiring for it. On the vette with key ON power comes from 2 banks of fuses for the injectors directly. The injectors are fired by closing the return via the ECM/PCM.

Power for the coil comes directly from a fuse in the fuse box.

The ECM/PCM will do nothing unless the 50 cycle handshake is present from the CCM. If there is a way to eliminate this I'd love to know.

The ECM/PCM on a 92-96 vette has 4 multi wire connectors on the unit with lots of colors in each to choose from. No way you can just pick out a wire and connect it to another.

I think to eliminate the CCM and rip it out, I think you would have to change a lot of the software in the ECM/PCM to make it self sufficient, maybe I'm wrong?
Old 12-14-2017, 11:39 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Easy way? well this worked for me on my 96, at the theft deterrent relay the large yellow wire 5 feeds twelve volts to the relay when the ignition switch is closed in the "start" position and when the relay closes that power leaves the relay via the 5 Purple wire which goes to the starter solenoid. Jump these two wires together and you are now independent of the CCM which only closes (or doesn't close thereby disabling the starter) the low amperage side of the theft deterrent relay.

In other words, you now have a conventional starter circuit minus the clutch safety switch. If doing a custom wiring, you could include a clutch safety switch in the circuit.

Now before I get flamed by those who probably know more than I do, this worked for me; there are those say it can't work because the VATS also disable the fuel injectors.

Last edited by mtwoolford; 12-14-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:00 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
Easy way? well this worked for me on my 96, at the theft deterrent relay the large yellow wire 5 feeds twelve volts to the relay when the ignition switch is closed in the "start" position and when the relay closes that power leaves the relay via the 5 Purple wire which goes to the starter solenoid. Jump these two wires together and you are now independent of the CCM which only closes (or doesn't close thereby disabling the starter) the low amperage side of the theft deterrent relay.

In other words, you now have a conventional starter circuit minus the clutch safety switch. If doing a custom wiring, you could include a clutch safety switch in the circuit.

Now before I get flamed by those who probably know more than I do, this worked for me; there are those say it can't work because the VATS also disable the fuel injectors.
Are we talking about a 96 corvette. If yes, I'll look into it.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:42 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Since it is a race car, maybe he will need a tune. Can it, at the same time be programmed out of the ECM program?
Old 12-15-2017, 05:21 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Since it is a race car, maybe he will need a tune. Can it, at the same time be programmed out of the ECM program?
This would be my recommendation as well !!! If the car is going to be a track only car - the odds are high that custom programming is going to be needed due to engine mods - (and changing the fan "on - off" temps is probably going to take place as well). At that point - eliminating the VATS is childs play !!!

And since the 1996 is a full OBDII system - all the programming can be done through the OBDII connector - no PROM erasing and reburning...
Old 12-15-2017, 10:32 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I like the VATS system and keep mine fully functional; it is genuinely hard to steal a VATS protected car without a tow truck. That being said, it has no place on a track car.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:58 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
I like the VATS system and keep mine fully functional; it is genuinely hard to steal a VATS protected car without a tow truck. That being said, it has no place on a track car.
It is primitive compared to what we have today but it makes it harder to steal a car. I doubt it is significantly different than a modern Ford with PATS or Mercedes with DAS.

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 VATS delete

Quick Reply: 1996 VATS delete