C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Old school 90 race inspired wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 12:16 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
I like the wheels you posted a picture of OP.

Another option that might work for you is C5 Z06 wheels. The real GM/ speedline vesions came in two sizes 17x9.5 and 18×10.5

I belive the offset is 54mm and 58mm so pretty close to the stock C4 56mm offset.

I have the 18x10.5 versions on my C4...

The 17x9.5 versions only weigh 19lbs and the 18x10.5 ones weigh 21lbs. So both are lighter than the stock C4 17x9.5 wheels (25lbs I think). So you will get a ln improvement in your unsprung weight which helps handling.

I think replica Z06 wheels are a bit heavier than GM/speedline ones (but still look very nice).

If your not in a hurry watch your local craigslist and Ebay and you should be able to piece together a set for not to much money. It took me like 8 months but I got all 4 of my perfect condition wheels for $550 (not including tires). But I had to piece my set together.

If you want the wheels 'tucked' well inside the wheel wells go for the 17inch ones, the 18in ones don't stick out past the body but they are not as 'tucked as the 17in versions. I have tired both sizes on my car.

Best of luck!
thanks. those look nice on your car.. My car will take a special wheel to pull off the look I am after. I am bright aqua metallic (color in the foreground car of your first photo)

I really like the HRE wheel and CCW wheels.. maybe I can just do onesy toosies and get a set for less than $1k.

After looking at your wheels.. I really like them.. what is the finish??

Last edited by barchetta1; 01-01-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:14 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
thanks. those look nice on your car.. My car will take a special wheel to pull off the look I am after. I am bright aqua metallic (color in the foreground car of your first photo)

I really like the HRE wheel and CCW wheels.. maybe I can just do onesy toosies and get a set for less than $1k.

After looking at your wheels.. I really like them.. what is the finish??
I think the color GM used on the C5 Z06 wheels was 'argent grey' or 'gun metal grey'. To my eye it looks good next to most paint colors. Also if the finish ever gets damaged I can just strip or sand blast them and re-spray... chrome would be a lot harder to repair.

I also really like CCW wheels I just couldn't justify the price myself and I was a little concerned about how much time it would take to keep all the spokes and 'studs' clean on the 'mesh type' CCW wheels like the picture you posted. they would look nice though. If you can piece together a set of them for a good price that may be a good way to go.

Like many things for our cars if your patient good deals can be had if your in a hurry you have to pay retail ($$$).

All the best with your wheel selection and post some pictures of what you decide to get.

Quick Reply: Old school 90 race inspired wheels