C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1996 LT1 EGR and A.I.R. deletes pros/and cons

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 06:51 PM
Vernamul
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 LT1 EGR and A.I.R. deletes pros/and cons

I have recently brought a 96 c4 and was looking to see if there's any benefit from deleting it's emissions controls and if so I would appreciate it if was steered in the right direction. I am mechanical inclined but this is my 1st vette.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:59 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

No benefits. Plenty of downside.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:23 AM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

No upside other than cosmetic for the engine compartment
Old 01-02-2018, 10:36 AM
mrodoc
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
I deleted mine about 1 1/2 yrs ago during an LE2 build. I know there are no performance gains, but it's so much easier to work on the engine, plus it looks a lot better not looking like it's on life support. All kidding aside, what is the downside. I've seen no adverse effcects.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:00 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by mrodoc
I deleted mine about 1 1/2 yrs ago during an LE2 build. I know there are no performance gains, but it's so much easier to work on the engine, plus it looks a lot better not looking like it's on life support. All kidding aside, what is the downside. I've seen no adverse effcects.
You will find out if you ever have to pass an emissions test or when you go to sell your car.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:25 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

You will find out if you ever have to pass an emissions test or when you go to sell your car.
my '96 is almost a 25 year old car, so no emissions in NJ once it hits the quarter century mark. Get a 2 year inspection and put on hi-flow cats for a possible visual inspection
Old 01-02-2018, 12:37 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernamul
I have recently brought a 96 c4 and was looking to see if there's any benefit from deleting it's emissions controls and if so I would appreciate it if was steered in the right direction. I am mechanical inclined but this is my 1st vette.

I live in a county in PA that does not check emissions and have a '96. But I do have to have to pass an annual state inspection. All emissions equipment that came with the car must be there to pass & they look under the hood. The techs don't care if it works or not but it has to be there and the check engine light has to be off. At 25yrs (3 more yrs) I can apply for antique plates and once granted no more annual inspection.

Last edited by pacoW; 01-02-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:01 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Vernamul, if your car is otherwise all stock, there's not a significant advantage to removing all this. People tend to remove the AIR system if they put headers on their cars, because most long-tubes don't have the fittings for the air hoses. And if you're racing and your class allows it, you can remove some weight off the nose. But otherwise, it's not hurting performance at all.

The EGR, same deal: the factory calibrations are set with EGR function in mind, and I doubt it's actually functioning at wide open throttle anyway (the engine management goes into "closed loop" function at that point). So it isn't hurting anything. If you put in a more performance-oriented cam that had more overlap than stock, you could get rid of it. Believe it or not, the LT4 cars didn't have EGR from the factory for this very reason.

If you get rid of either of these systems, you can easily enough stop the OBD2 from testing them. That will prevent any CELs or problems with an emissions test that scans the PCM for trouble codes. Of course, if your state has a visual inspection for emissions equipment, you won't pass that with the AIR system not in the car. Finally, if you want to sell your car someday and that equipment has been removed, people in states with visual inspections won't be able to buy it.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:45 PM
Vernamul
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks @MatthewMiller, yes my car is all stock at the moment however I am going to upgrade and update a few things on the car. I have a shop looking over right now for inspection to see what the car needs to make it run and drive nicely. From what I hear is if the a.i.r and the egr arnt hurting anything don't f#ck with it. the car has roughly 110,000 miles on it but is still in decent condition.

Last edited by Vernamul; 01-05-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:07 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

. I might add that even though owners are not subject to STATE inspections, (i'm thinking) it is still in violation of FEDERAL law to remove emission equipment as originally installed by the manufacturer, no matter how old the car. does anyone enforce it - most likely not, but who really knows? resale, and future owners - that could open up a real can of worms. unless there's some absolute reason, I cant see any benefit to removing it. not sure why folks are opposed emission equipment anyway - it really doesn't affect performance all that much today. if it does, probably nothing you can feel by the seat of your pants dyno. just my 2-cents

Last edited by Joe C; 01-05-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:22 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

No cons/downsides, just pros/upsides

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 LT1 EGR and A.I.R. deletes pros/and cons

Quick Reply: 1996 LT1 EGR and A.I.R. deletes pros/and cons