C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can I go catless on my 1992 C4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 07:00 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
OBD2 cars (1996+) also have a second set of O2 sensors after the cats. These only exist to allow the PCM to test the function of the cats: it compares what's coming out of the cats with what's going in and uses that info to assess whether the cart is working well or not. The PCM does not use these post-cat or "downstream" sensors to manage the fuel mixture. If you remove or hollow out the cats on an OBD2 car, it will quickly through a trouble code because the PCM knows the cat isn't functioning anymore. If you remove or disconnect the downstream O2 sensors it will do the same thing. In order to avoid the CEL, you have to either modify the PCM tune to turn off that diagnostic test, or somehow trick the rear sensors into giving the PCM the signal it's looking for. Doing it in the tune is the proper way to achieve this. This is the step that c4cruiser was referring to in his post.

You can remove the cats or whatever, and the ECM won't know the difference.

As to whether that's a good thing to do or not, I'll let others address that question!
Side note. I had an upstream O2 sensor issue on my 99 W140. Changed that and still got the code. Changed again under warranty and no joy. Everyone swore it wasn't the rear since that didn't trip a code and was not involved in anything fuel enrichment related. Finally I got fed up and changed it since I had a spare sensor. Apparently, the rear sensor squeals on the front sensor. You see, the voltage went up by 0.1V and the front O2 sensor lived happily ever after. My thought is that the rear was reporting that the exhaust was too lean and the ECM was trying to change that and felt that the upstream sensor was not reacting fast enough.

Agreed

Depends on whether you think spending the money on replacing something emissions related is meaningful or not. I don't but if someone wants to, they can knock themselves out doing it. I'd spend the money helping poor girls get through college at the strip bar before the emissions but that's me.
The following users liked this post:
Sworn (01-14-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 07:11 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I'd spend the money helping poor girls get through college at the strip bar before the emissions but that's me.
Charity is highest form of humanity. You are a prince among men.
DykstraMotorsports (01-22-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 10:11 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Charity is highest form of humanity. You are a prince among men.
I believe in education. And selling a bridge
The following 2 users liked this post by aklim:
941YYG (06-20-2021), DykstraMotorsports (01-22-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 10:14 PM
Sworn
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Yeah, I was reading c4cruiser's post and though the same as you, "Whoa!" So just to be clear, 1996 is the only OBD2 C4 they made. All prior years were OBD1. In probably all EFI-equipped cars of all years, there are O2 sensors before the cats, which the PCM uses to properly maintain the air:fuel ratio at all times in closed-loop operation (closed-loop is any time the car is warmed up and not running at or near WOT). You do not want to remove or delete these sensors in real life or in the software tune. If you did, you'd have a car running in open-loop all the time.

OBD2 cars (1996+) also have a second set of O2 sensors after the cats. These only exist to allow the PCM to test the function of the cats: it compares what's coming out of the cats with what's going in and uses that info to assess whether the cart is working well or not. The PCM does not use these post-cat or "downstream" sensors to manage the fuel mixture. If you remove or hollow out the cats on an OBD2 car, it will quickly through a trouble code because the PCM knows the cat isn't functioning anymore. If you remove or disconnect the downstream O2 sensors it will do the same thing. In order to avoid the CEL, you have to either modify the PCM tune to turn off that diagnostic test, or somehow trick the rear sensors into giving the PCM the signal it's looking for. Doing it in the tune is the proper way to achieve this. This is the step that c4cruiser was referring to in his post.

They key is this: any 1984-1995 C4 is OBD1, and (to my knowledge) won't even have the downstream O2 sensors. They have no way of testing their cat function, so they can't tell if it's missing or hollowed out (or on there and working well). So there is nothing to disable or worry about. You can remove the cats or whatever, and the ECM won't know the difference.

As to whether that's a good thing to do or not, I'll let others address that question!
Very informative post!

I always kind of thought the later C4's from 94 or so and up were OBD2.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:20 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

94/95 Vettes have one post cat O2 sensor, and an OBDII ALDL connector. Some call them OBD1.5, but still use OBDI operating systems.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:21 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
94/95 Vettes have one post cat O2 sensor, and an OBDII ALDL connector. Some call them OBD1.5, but still use OBDI operating systems.
I didn't know about the one post-cat sensor! Interesting.

So the thing about 94/95 is they use a new PCM design that was essentially OBD2 ready, and they even use the newer OBD2 diagnostic port under the dash. But they don't have all the required on-board diagnostics to comply with the OBD2 standard. It is clear that GM was getting ready for it, though. The 1996 PCM is fully OBD2 compliant. It physically looks the same as the 94/95 computers. You can even swap a 94/95 PCM into a 1996 (you'll get the "sys" indicator, but it works fine). If you look at the tables of a 94/95 PCM in Tunercat and the tables of a 96 PCM in Jet DST (same software but enabled for the OBD2 system), I think all the running parameters are the same (I haven't compared line by line yet, but I will be). The 96 just has extra diagnostics enabled.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:27 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by touyech2883
Drop the exhaust and hollow them out, they rob horsepower
They flow straight through and don't rob horsepower. Most people who say this just want them gone looking for every drop of "go". Next stop will be smooth air tube....or a Tornado!

They still work even at 66k miles. If you don't hear a rattle or suffer noticeable performance loss, the bricks aren't broken/clogged nor do they need to be removed.

Follow Aklim's advice on where to spend your time/money instead!
Sworn (01-16-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 06:38 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

They key is this: any 1984-1995 C4 is OBD1, and (to my knowledge) won't even have the downstream O2 sensors. They have no way of testing their cat function, so they can't tell if it's missing or hollowed out (or on there and working well). So there is nothing to disable or worry about. You can remove the cats or whatever, and the ECM won't know the difference.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT !!! If you don't have the downstream (post cat) Oxygen sensors - you will not turn on a check engine light if you eliminate the catalytic converters.

Truthfully though - at anything approaching stock HP levels - the factory cats do not cost you much power at all. I highly doubt that you'd be able to consistently see the difference on a chassis dyno - unless the converters are clogged or have internal damage. For a track car - eliminating them makes sense for weight savings, and since you could end up off track - where very hot cats might be in contact with some taller grass - and that might not be a good thing. I will tell you that the cats do also reduce exhaust noise levels a bit (so do turbos).

BOTTOM line - eliminating them is not as easy as you might think (the one place that I knew that made test pipes is no longer around), and will cost you some $$$. (I suppose you could sell the old ones to try to recoup some of the $$$.) So - is eliminating them worth the time and money. Plus - if you do get caught without them (which admittedly is quite unlikely) it will cost you big time...
Old 01-17-2018, 06:45 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Purple92
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT !!! If you don't have the downstream (post cat) Oxygen sensors - you will not turn on a check engine light if you eliminate the catalytic converters.

Truthfully though - at anything approaching stock HP levels - the factory cats do not cost you much power at all. I highly doubt that you'd be able to consistently see the difference on a chassis dyno - unless the converters are clogged or have internal damage. For a track car - eliminating them makes sense for weight savings, and since you could end up off track - where very hot cats might be in contact with some taller grass - and that might not be a good thing. I will tell you that the cats do also reduce exhaust noise levels a bit (so do turbos).

BOTTOM line - eliminating them is not as easy as you might think (the one place that I knew that made test pipes is no longer around), and will cost you some $$$. (I suppose you could sell the old ones to try to recoup some of the $$$.) So - is eliminating them worth the time and money. Plus - if you do get caught without them (which admittedly is quite unlikely) it will cost you big time...
I wouldn't do it for HP reasons if it isn't a track car. That said, I wouldn't replace it for financial reasons either unless I am forced to.
https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/diagram/view/index/id/157/

Looking at the diagram, you can cut it off and put in a straight pipe. Worst case, weld in a bung
Old 01-17-2018, 07:11 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by mako41
Your location says Ellenton Florida. Florida doesn't require any emission testing at all, even on newer models that may require it in other emissions crazy states like say NY or CA..... so why would anyone be visually checking for cats?
Who was checking and where exactly did this happen?? I'm calling BS on your entire story!!
Agreed. They are using mirrors to look underneath for drugs, not cats.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:15 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Agreed. They are using mirrors to look underneath for drugs, not cats.
https://goo.gl/images/ZQfqwv

Quick Reply: Can I go catless on my 1992 C4?