A truly Bolt in Bulletproof IRS, yes or no? - Page 4 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion


C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a bulletproof IRS for the C4, assuming had a need?
Yes, i would be interested 22 68.75%
No, I'd rather just put a straight axle in 2 6.25%
Maybe, especially if it were available individually 4 12.50%
Only if it were cheaper than a straight axle 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

A truly Bolt in Bulletproof IRS, yes or no?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #61
383vett
CF Senior Member
 
383vett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: moraga ca
Posts: 14,690
Thanked 428 Times in 308 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNova View Post
There's more tunnel clearance in the C4 than most think. There was GREATLY more room in there than on ANY of the other cars I've built in the last few years.


I imagine sticking even a 4L80e in there wouldn't be much of a challenge physically.
Been done a number of times. I've got a friend with a Callaway running a 4l80e. Someone used to make a tailshaft to adapt to the c-beam. Art Carr did his conversion.
383vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:18 PM   #62
vetteman9368
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
vetteman9368's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2000
Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
Posts: 27,883
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08
Default

I’m thinking he may be talking about a 6L80E.
vetteman9368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #63
JoeNova
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 143
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

6L80e might fit. Controlling one is a very very different story. Aftermarket controls for them are fairly marginal at best, and there is no other way..
JoeNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #64
vetteman9368
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
vetteman9368's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2000
Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
Posts: 27,883
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNova View Post
6L80e might fit. Controlling one is a very very different story. Aftermarket controls for them are fairly marginal at best, and there is no other way..
Yea, thatís. Or anything I have a desire to fool with. Iím just trying to figure out manual clutch linkage for a jerico. 😈
vetteman9368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #65
vetteman9368
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
vetteman9368's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2000
Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
Posts: 27,883
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08
Default

WVZR-1, tried to return your message. I’ll PM you on here.
vetteman9368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #66
Kevova
CF Senior Member
 
Kevova's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: near the thumb in the mitten
Posts: 1,884
Thanked 185 Times in 176 Posts
Default

If a bracket is made to use the batwing and trailing arm bracket locations to mount it to the frame. The mounting tabs at trailing arm brackets would be just be say 1/4" plate. The bracket mounts the c3 diff or 8.8. Since c3 uses similar rear suspension , it would require less fab work. A simple torque arm could be made to support transmission attaching to differential supporting bracket.
Kevova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #67
DMITTZ
CF Senior Member
 
DMITTZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: Langley BC
Posts: 1,274
Thanked 149 Times in 140 Posts
Default

To the OP. If you can get a nice working prototype I think thik would be really cool. I don't have enough HP to need it at this time but it would be great to know the option exists.

As you already know there is likely just a very small market for this product although all the hot rods running around with C4 suspensions might also take an interest in it.... I'm sure there would be a few people that would want it though.

For all those who say there is no point working to improve an obsolete platform, feel free go buy an new car for yourself then. Some people enjoy re-engineering older stuff to work better for the challenge of it and for fun. It doesn't have to be a business it can be just for fun and if he sells a few parts to other people than all the better. Not sure why everyone is so negative about it. He has already said this is not his main business, proabbly just a fun hobby for him and if he makes a few buck all the better. I enjoy re-designing stuff so I get why he want to do this.

Wish you all the best with this project OP hope you can get it all figured out!
DMITTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DMITTZ For This Useful Post:
vetteman9368 (01-19-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #68
C409
CF Senior Member
 
C409's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: Clearwater Florida
Posts: 4,236
Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMITTZ View Post
To the OP. If you can get a nice working prototype I think thik would be really cool. I don't have enough HP to need it at this time but it would be great to know the option exists.

As you already know there is likely just a very small market for this product although all the hot rods running around with C4 suspensions might also take an interest in it.... I'm sure there would be a few people that would want it though.

For all those who say there is no point working to improve an obsolete platform, feel free go buy an new car for yourself then. Some people enjoy re-engineering older stuff to work better for the challenge of it and for fun. It doesn't have to be a business it can be just for fun and if he sells a few parts to other people than all the better. Not sure why everyone is so negative about it. He has already said this is not his main business, proabbly just a fun hobby for him and if he makes a few buck all the better. I enjoy re-designing stuff so I get why he want to do this.

Wish you all the best with this project OP hope you can get it all figured out!

..... ... Well Said ! ... Build the prototype and learn from the process ... Its all about finding solutions to "problems" real or perceived ... I can tell you first hand that this is a tough crowd .....
C409 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #69
ghoastrider1
CF Senior Member
 
ghoastrider1's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: indy indiana
Posts: 6,817
Thanked 143 Times in 129 Posts
Default

Depends on price, what comes with it/beefed up, gear ratio, weight, design in just anout that order.
ghoastrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #70
blackozvet
CF Senior Member
 
blackozvet's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Adelaide South Australia
Posts: 1,716
Thanked 50 Times in 48 Posts
Default

hey vetteman9368, you came on here with your dream candle burning and everyone started pissing on it !
dont be put off by the naysayers, keep at it.
some of the suggestions (eg 8.8 housing) are useful tho.
Im amazed by how many c4 people are on the c4 forum bagging the cars and owners, saying there is no future in the car. But keep in mind the current market for resto modding etc on 50's 60's and 70's cars - its only a matter of time before the 80's cars are next, and then you will have a market !
blackozvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:40 PM   #71
aDigitalPhantom
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: That one city...you know that one. Idaho
Posts: 1,213
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMITTZ View Post
To the OP. If you can get a nice working prototype I think thik would be really cool. I don't have enough HP to need it at this time but it would be great to know the option exists.

As you already know there is likely just a very small market for this product although all the hot rods running around with C4 suspensions might also take an interest in it.... I'm sure there would be a few people that would want it though.

For all those who say there is no point working to improve an obsolete platform, feel free go buy an new car for yourself then. Some people enjoy re-engineering older stuff to work better for the challenge of it and for fun. It doesn't have to be a business it can be just for fun and if he sells a few parts to other people than all the better. Not sure why everyone is so negative about it. He has already said this is not his main business, proabbly just a fun hobby for him and if he makes a few buck all the better. I enjoy re-designing stuff so I get why he want to do this.

Wish you all the best with this project OP hope you can get it all figured out!
This.

I have plans to add more power upgrades to my C4. I can't afford them right now, and it needs the transmission rebuilt or replaced. I've already swapped in a 5.3 LS with forged steel connecting rods, and other things. Better cylinder heads, and camshaft are planned. Maybe some kind of FI. I have a C5 too, and I would rather upgrade the C4. I also can't afford an upgrade like this right now, but I won't be putting a solid axle in the car.

I don't see how this kind of thing would be targeted at someone that buys a 3-7k car to drive. I can see it being for someone that has done similar things as I have like spending 8-10k+ swapping in an LS engine, changing the gear ratio, and suspension upgrades. I'm sure some of you will look at my post history, and call me a liar. Believe it or not. There is only one thing I used to lie about here, and it has nothing to do with my cars. I'm not sure being honest about it is a good idea, but I don't care anymore. If you think you need to know more than that, or details on why. You can PM and ask, but that doesn't mean I will answer.
aDigitalPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #72
Mike Holmen
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: Airdrie Alberta
Posts: 313
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aDigitalPhantom View Post
This.

I have plans to add more power upgrades to my C4. I can't afford them right now, and it needs the transmission rebuilt or replaced. I've already swapped in a 5.3 LS with forged steel connecting rods, and other things. Better cylinder heads, and camshaft are planned. Maybe some kind of FI. I have a C5 too, and I would rather upgrade the C4. I also can't afford an upgrade like this right now, but I won't be putting a solid axle in the car.

I don't see how this kind of thing would be targeted at someone that buys a 3-7k car to drive. I can see it being for someone that has done similar things as I have like spending 8-10k+ swapping in an LS engine, changing the gear ratio, and suspension upgrades. I'm sure some of you will look at my post history, and call me a liar. Believe it or not. There is only one thing I used to lie about here, and it has nothing to do with my cars. I'm not sure being honest about it is a good idea, but I don't care anymore. If you think you need to know more than that, or details on why. You can PM and ask, but that doesn't mean I will answer.
Sweet, sounds like an awesome car. Now we need some pics.
Mike Holmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:11 PM   #73
drcook
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Location: N.E. Ohio OH
Posts: 910
Thanked 122 Times in 111 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Holmen View Post
Sweet, sounds like an awesome car. Now we need some pics.
Of the car, not what he was lying about
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:01 PM   #74
Mike Holmen
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: Airdrie Alberta
Posts: 313
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Default

I have an 2005 LQ9 in my 85 vette. Works pretty good so far. Not sure on how well my dana 36 will take the engine, so I can relate.

I'm going to add force induction and a 408/416 stroker crank/billet rods/forged pistons into mine.

If I have to build a custom IRS ford 9in rear, so be it.
Mike Holmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #75
aDigitalPhantom
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: That one city...you know that one. Idaho
Posts: 1,213
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I don't have many right now, and I need to take more pictures.




Still have more I need to do, but I haven't felt like working on it after the transmission failed. There are a lot of wiring issues I haven't fixed yet from the PO.


Quote:
Originally Posted by drcook View Post
Of the car, not what he was lying about
You could ask for them, but you can't have them. As what I used to lie about on automotive forums. It's not he, it's she. All I will say for why is extremely bad experiences because of the things I like. Yes, that means you can't have pictures of me.

Last edited by aDigitalPhantom; 02-12-2018 at 09:38 PM.
aDigitalPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #76
C409
CF Senior Member
 
C409's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: Clearwater Florida
Posts: 4,236
Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Holmen View Post
I have an 2005 LQ9 in my 85 vette. Works pretty good so far. Not sure on how well my dana 36 will take the engine, so I can relate.

I'm going to add force induction and a 408/416 stroker crank/billet rods/forged pistons into mine.

If I have to build a custom IRS ford 9in rear, so be it.
..... Currie Enterprises offers a fabricated independent Ford 9" Carrier ... its not cheap ! .....
C409 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:29 PM   #77
Mike Holmen
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: Airdrie Alberta
Posts: 313
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Default

I was looking at the Dutchman 9in IRS.
https://www.dutchmanaxles.com/irs-ho...-cv-style.html

Less money than the Currie. Everything would be custom build putting one in.
Mike Holmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • A truly Bolt in Bulletproof IRS, yes or no?
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    IRS Destroyed Laptops Containing Critical Records, says Inspector General vigalante Politics, Religion & Controversy 11 07-19-2017 03:20 PM
    [C2] IR Gun to locate Misfiring Cylinder? After38Years C1 & C2 Corvettes 12 05-03-2017 10:32 PM
    1967 IRS question David H. C1 & C2 Corvettes 12 03-12-2017 05:19 AM
    IRS Detailing ideas..... Jebbysan C3 Tech/Performance 2 09-15-2016 09:41 PM
    IRS Releases Larger List of Targeted Groups Grumpy Politics, Religion & Controversy 56 06-08-2016 11:22 AM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump

    Sponsored Ads
    Vendor Directory

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:46 PM.


    We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: