C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake light will not go out

Old 01-13-2018, 11:56 AM
jseremba
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Brake light will not go out

Hello everybody,

I own a 1989 6spd Z51 Corvette. I just changed the brake booster and the brake lights are on and will not go out. I tried the adjustment procedure in the manual and the one listed on the forum. The lights stayed on. Then I had my daughter look at the lights to see if they went off when I depressed the switch. Even with the switch fully depressed the lights stayed on.
Does any body have any suggestions as to what is wrong.
Oh and on the back of the switch is what looks like two male ends that should have a plug on them. Looking under my dash I cannot see anything that looks like it should plug on the back of the brake light switch.
Thank you for your help.

Joe
Old 01-13-2018, 04:36 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Originally Posted by jseremba
Hello everybody,

I own a 1989 6spd Z51 Corvette. I just changed the brake booster and the brake lights are on and will not go out. I tried the adjustment procedure in the manual and the one listed on the forum. The lights stayed on. Then I had my daughter look at the lights to see if they went off when I depressed the switch. Even with the switch fully depressed the lights stayed on.
Does any body have any suggestions as to what is wrong.
Oh and on the back of the switch is what looks like two male ends that should have a plug on them. Looking under my dash I cannot see anything that looks like it should plug on the back of the brake light switch.
Thank you for your help.

Joe
Changed my mind after a second read.

If the lights won't go out then it would seem that there's a loose switch up in the dash wires somewhere that you don't have in the brake pedal bracket. Follow the WHITE wire to maybe the hanging switch. With an M6 there's maybe a total of 3 switches up in under there.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-13-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:20 PM
jseremba
Drifting

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Changed my mind after a second read.

If the lights won't go out then it would seem that there's a loose switch up in the dash wires somewhere that you don't have in the brake pedal bracket. Follow the WHITE wire to maybe the hanging switch. With an M6 there's maybe a total of 3 switches up in under there.
When I was driving my other car. I realized that there is no electrical connection to the brake light switch. There is however a connector with a blue and white wire connected to the cruise control switch. I think that this connector belongs on the brake switch or that they are interchangeable. I have attached a picture. The one with the blue and white wires is cruise control switch.
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2018, 06:26 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Follow the WHITE wire from C104 (large turn signal connector) and see if you don't come across this red connector. Blue is correct for cruise I believe and the LT BLUE & GREY/WHT wires match diagram in FSM for an M6.

Name:  Turn Signal Switch Connector.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  50.2 KB

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-13-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:38 PM
jseremba
Drifting

Follow the WHITE wire from C104 (large turn signal connector) and see if you don't come across this red connector. Blue is correct for cruise I believe.

Attachment 48244549

Attachment 48244550
Thank you I will.

This car is a manual.

Interesting thing to me is that this problem never happened before. I have had the car for over one year. I change the brake booster and know I have a brake light problem.
This guy had an Alpine 8040 security device on the car. I just unplugged it and know this.
The switch never had a connector on it. Could this be an open ground.

Thank you
Old 01-13-2018, 06:42 PM
jseremba
Drifting

The back of the brake switch does not have prongs. It is a flat piece of brass or copper
Old 01-13-2018, 06:53 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jseremba

This car is a manual.
I realized the car was an M6 - you mentioned that in your original post.

Blue connector with LT BLUE & GREY/WHT should be at the clutch pedal. SLS at brake pedal should be LT BLUE & WHITE/no stripe.

Here's I believe a correct connector for an '89 M6 from this thread. Maybe this is what you're looking for.

Name:  '89 M6 SLS connector.jpeg
Views: 206
Size:  78.6 KB

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...capacitor.html

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-13-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:36 PM
jseremba
Drifting

I realized the car was an M6 - you mentioned that in your original post.

Blue connector with LT BLUE & GREY/WHT should be at the clutch pedal. SLS at brake pedal should be LT BLUE & WHITE/no stripe.

Here's I believe a correct connector for an '89 M6 from this thread. Maybe this is what you're looking for.

Attachment 48244584

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...capacitor.html

Two things
1) I depressed the Cruise switch the one with the blue and white wires and the lights went out.
2) The person that wired the Alpine made a BUNDLE of wires in that bundle is what looks like the resistor you have pictured. I am betting that the connector is also in the bundle.
Thank you for your help.

All of you

Get notified of new replies

To Brake light will not go out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake light will not go out