C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

strange water leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 01:24 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default strange water leak

so we were changing oil on my 95 yesterday got the car up on jacks and started seen water dripping down by and under the black water coolant tank, got under and looked around with the car running and couldn't see anything but the water level looked good, the water on the ground also did not feel or smell like coolant.

so driving home all of a sudden the lower 1/2 of the windshield started fogging up inside "which has never happened" turned on the defroster and it went away>>>>>>>>>>any ideas????

Last edited by lectroglide; 01-15-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:31 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

there's a drain tube from the HVAC plenum in that exact area; if it's plugged even partially, when you jacked up the car, condensate probably migrated to where the suction from the HVAC fan picked it up and blew it up through the defroster vents

there are three or four small drain tubes from the cowl area in front of the windshield and the aforementioned larger one from the HVAC plenum, all of these have to be clear for the system to operate properly and unless yours have been cleaned lately, I can almost guarantee that some are plugged.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:39 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

thanx, so what is the cleaning process??
Old 01-15-2018, 03:44 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by lectroglide
thanx, so what is the cleaning process??
On the large one coming from the bottom of the HVAC plenum, I removed the "gill" aft of the passenger side front wheel; that exposed the large drain tube; it's just rubber and will pull of; mine was packed with foul crap.

The ones from the cowl area are thinner longer rubber tubes and should be accessible from the engine side of the cowl; again they just pull off / push on; alternatively, they could, I suppose, be cleaned from the top with a long flexible wand of some type.

I cleaned all of these after experiencing water on the inside of my car; thinking that I needed to have the windshield resealed, I went to a local, and thankfully honest, glass shop; the owner told me that the usual cause of interior flooding was these drains clogging up....and he was right.

good luck
The following 2 users liked this post by mtwoolford:
HonestJohn1 (01-15-2018), lectroglide (01-16-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 04:37 PM
HonestJohn1
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks,
Very cool useful information. Ill check mine when it warms up a little.

John
Old 01-15-2018, 05:59 PM
95BLKVette
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HonestJohn1
Thanks,
Very cool useful information. Ill check mine when it warms up a little.

John
We call these drains cow utters 😂

Get notified of new replies

To strange water leak

Quick Reply: strange water leak