C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Short Shifter for the ZF 6 speed, Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 12:54 AM
4xcontractor
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Short Shifter for the ZF 6 speed, Is it worth it?

I not really into moding my 91 vet much, but... Shifting the trans lacks a little, has anyone done a short shifter conversion and was it worth doing. I watched a YouTube video on it, looked kinda like I bitch of a job. I've only seen a shifter for sale on eBay that you take your assembly and replace a few parts. It was or is the Hurst Shifter mod.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:30 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Hurst shifter is one of my favorite mods, and I've done many.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:53 AM
KSA Aaron
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 4xcontractor
I not really into moding my 91 vet much, but... Shifting the trans lacks a little, has anyone done a short shifter conversion and was it worth doing. I watched a YouTube video on it, looked kinda like I bitch of a job. I've only seen a shifter for sale on eBay that you take your assembly and replace a few parts. It was or is the Hurst Shifter mod.

I run the B&M, and it is extremely short, very notchy, very solid and more effort. But it is an absolutely positive shift and there is no question about missing a gear.

I recommend the short shifter!
Old 01-20-2018, 09:55 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by KSA Aaron
I run the B&M, and it is extremely short, very notchy, very solid and more effort. But it is an absolutely positive shift and there is no question about missing a gear.

I recommend the short shifter!

That's what I run! Many years now. Exactly right above on the evaluation of it!
Old 01-20-2018, 10:51 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

I had a friend, former Vette owner bring his Ruby over and we did his replacement to a Hurst short shifter. The job wasnt too bad on my Kwiklift and having a second person inside the car while I was on the bottom side made it easier. It is worth doing though. Shorter throws make for a nice positive feel. Just feels like a different car.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:53 PM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
Ditto! Makes going through the gears even more fun.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:11 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I have done the Hurst shifter on my 96 CE. Big improvement in shifter action. Worth the effort.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:47 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

ZF Doc short throw conversion here. Supposed to be between Hurst and the B&M....meaning a bit shorter than Hurst. I've had the mod for 8 yrs now. Next to a 383 stroker conversion, it's the single best mod I made. Makes the stock setup feel like a pickup truck by comparison.

It's SO much better, it SHOULD have been this way from the factory!!!!

I did mine while the trans was out so it was easy. You might consider pulling the trans and do a clutch/shifter at the same time (depending on your mileage). Otherwise, I can see it being kind of a PITA while in the car -- though doable. I remember one member having trouble with the 7mm drift pin IIRC.

There USED to be a perfect, excellent, awesome multi-post thread about the shifter conversion -- with TONS of pics. But, I deleted it from my favorites when the pics were butchered due to the photobucket phuk. (Yup....still ticked after a year .) Took the time to remove all my pics from their site this week. Can't see myself ever using that site again!

I used to buy some stuff from their online store too. Not anymore.

BOYCOTT Photobucket!
Old 01-21-2018, 01:56 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to shy you away...but I remember doing this little job almost 15 years ago on my ZR1 and it is a b with a capital B!!!

After removing the plastic shift pattern insert there is a steel wedge. Removing this little wedge is very difficult with pliers as there isn't much room to grab onto it. I also didn't want to use pliers as I didn't want the teeth marks gouged into the piece if I ever wanted to return it to stock.

Instead I used a mini pry bar which worked great! Also, getting the pin out took a lot more force than I expected! I am sure there are a lot of write-ups on this forum on how to perform the install.

I went with the Hurst after reviewing all the write-ups. Seemed very stout and throw was short enough.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:16 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

before you plop down any money, contact ZF doc and inquire about having your original shifter shortened and (what no one else does) have all the little parts and bushings in the shifter assembly repaired / replaced. Had it done to mine; night and day difference.
The following users liked this post:
mcm95403 (04-04-2021)
Old 01-23-2018, 08:06 PM
vettespecial
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
before you plop down any money, contact ZF doc and inquire about having your original shifter shortened and (what no one else does) have all the little parts and bushings in the shifter assembly repaired / replaced. Had it done to mine; night and day difference.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:28 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 149 Posts

This is my second C4 with a Hurst. Perfect to me, but I have heard great things on the ZFdoc modded one, I just do not have the energy to swap
Old 01-24-2018, 09:45 AM
tbryan
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A vote for the B&M. I put one in my 95 about ten years ago. Took a morning to do. I love it. You can shift without moving your arm, just your hand.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:16 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by STL94LT1

Get notified of new replies

To Short Shifter for the ZF 6 speed, Is it worth it?

Quick Reply: Short Shifter for the ZF 6 speed, Is it worth it?