C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 Centerforce clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 05:37 PM
1990CONV
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1990 Centerforce clutch

I have a 1990 base convertible with 30,000. I bought it almost new and it has been part of the family. I figured some day it might need a clutch so over the years I bought a brand new GM dual mass flywheel at a bargain and at some time bought a Centerforce pressure plate. I did not purchase a disc. Again I acquired these parts over many years. I am getting to a time when I just feel like replacing the clutch before I get too old!!! The fly wheel has the correct numbers on it but I am questioning the pressure plate. The pressure plate is stampeded 382109-DO H . There are some inked numbers but they are hard to read. It looks like in one area there are four numbers (2330). In another area there are two letters and 8 numbers I not read some so I will list them as *. They read DM1008***then maybe a 2 or 7. Can anyone identify this pressure plate and suggest a good disc for it?
Thanks
Old 01-20-2018, 05:48 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990CONV
I have a 1990 base convertible with 30,000. I bought it almost new and it has been part of the family. I figured some day it might need a clutch so over the years I bought a brand new GM dual mass flywheel at a bargain and at some time bought a Centerforce pressure plate. I did not purchase a disc. Again I acquired these parts over many years. I am getting to a time when I just feel like replacing the clutch before I get too old!!! The fly wheel has the correct numbers on it but I am questioning the pressure plate. The pressure plate is stampeded 382109-DO H . There are some inked numbers but they are hard to read. It looks like in one area there are four numbers (2330). In another area there are two letters and 8 numbers I not read some so I will list them as *. They read DM1008***then maybe a 2 or 7. Can anyone identify this pressure plate and suggest a good disc for it?
Thanks
If you know it's Centerforce you call Centerforce with as much information as you have. If you have the original shipping box from whoever you want any information from the shipping label that you could possibly gather. An invoice maybe. Did you buy a release bearing with the purchase?

You do snapshots with Centerforce?

You could post snapshots here as well and "guess" as best you can the year of purchase.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-20-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:10 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Don't know how many miles are on the car, but I strongly recommend you don't replace the current OE pressure plate unless you know for a fact that it's bad. Those OE Valeo units are far better quality than more recent replacements that are made in China. All the aftermarket "performance" pressure plates are also based on the crappy made-in-China replacements. Your Centerforce might be based on an old NOS Valeo plate - not sure. If it is, that's good. OTOH, my very good friend and previous owner of my C4 used to run the garage at Houston Performance. He said about 50% of the Centerforce clutches that they installed failed quickly because the little weights would come off. So even if you try it, keep the old pressure plate in case you need to use it again.

Re the disk, Jim at PowerTorque recommended the Centerforce Dual Friction unit to me. It took forever to bed in - used to smell like burned clutch quite a bit. But it's gotten better now. It has more grip and the metallic side will increase its grip as it gets hot. But I have a 396 with serious head porting and a racy cam. That extra bite is useful for me. The downside is that the clutch is harder to modulate, and I get a some chatter from it. Honestly, for a stock or near-stock C4 I would go with an organic-lined disk. I might even do the same someday, since I've tried to keep it nice to drive on the street. I don't have a good brand to recommend. Jim thought the quality of the Centerforce disks was a cut above most others. So maybe if they have an organic disk that's the best option. BTW, if you use the dual-mass flywheel, make sure you get the solid (non-sprung) hub disk. Most people these days don't have the dual-mass flywheel and so they have to get a sprung hub (4th-gen F-body application) to go with that.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:04 PM
1990CONV
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Name:  IMG_5128.JPG
Views: 357
Size:  92.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5130.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  118.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5131.JPG
Views: 395
Size:  116.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5132.JPG
Views: 346
Size:  128.9 KB

Name:  DSC00003.JPG
Views: 353
Size:  472.5 KBThanks so much for the feedback. The little weights look a little fragile on the pressure plate and I am concerned about their longevity. As I noted the car does not need a new clutch right now but I thought I would replace it so that I did not have to do it later on down the road. I attached a couple pics to see if anybody can identify if it is correct for the car and if it will perform as well if not better then stock.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:06 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Here's an old thread. The 2330 I'd think is a Julian date for production. When did you buy it? Reach out and contact -=Jeff=-. If you bought in '01 or later I'd think 2330 is 233d day of '00. His had a 3539 and it couldn't be 539th day of '03 so I used that as a validation of your 2330 maybe! The cover might be similar and like his but maybe the actual "plate" very different in thickness - LT5 maybe to L98. He doesn't mention which in his thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lp-needed.html

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-20-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:50 AM
tjgator
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 95 has the same number on it but has Valeo stamped on it as well. I don't find much searching 382109. I keep getting redirected to
52802203 which is a good Valeo number with a direct fit for my model. I hope this helps maybe in solving your mystery.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:13 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

OP - I believe your conversation needs to be with Centerforce. The 382109-D0 is only an identifier for the actual cover and NOT an identifier of the actual assembly build of the pressure plate. You also need to be concerned about the ID of the release bearing for your ZF. ID for an early is generally mentioned to be 1.375 with no nylon insert, the late has an insert. If the bearing on your new pressure plate has no insert you could assume it's likely correct - but I'd confirm with a measurement.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-21-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:15 PM
vettespecial
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default dual mass flywheel

Originally Posted by 1990CONV
Thanks
if your car really has just 30,000 on it i will be happy
to buy your take off dual mass flywheel
The following users liked this post:
Doncaddigan (05-02-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 09:00 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

1990CONV, I somehow missed the fact that your car only has 30,000mi. I would honestly not mess with it. Unless you're planning to modify it a lot and race it, that clutch is designed to a very long time without wearing out - like 100,000mi or more. Chances are good that your new one won't be as smooth and nice as the factory installation.

But if you do, and if you sell the flywheel to vettespecial, I would buy the pressure plate from you!

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 Centerforce clutch

Quick Reply: 1990 Centerforce clutch