C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

upper steering column question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 05:08 PM
tkrphxr
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default upper steering column question.

Help I just pulled the T&T steering wheel on my 86 to fix the turn signals that quit cancelling and the large spring jumped off and brought with it what appears to be 2 large plastic or nylon washers and a plastic? spacer about 1 inch thick. Be fore I tear into it any further I would like to find out where they go and in what order. I have googled and searched and can't find a good dia. that shows these pieces. Thanks in advance for any help.
Charlie M
Old 02-11-2018, 06:04 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

The Large Spring is the pathway for your Horn as well aids in you effort for the telescope and it fits in the horn contact hole and snaps into a couple of fingers on back of steering wheel, the spacers just stack thin fat thin on the shaft.

Now that you are to this point you will see a plastic cover around the shaft once you remove it you are going to need a few things be for you go further a Bolt with head cut off or Allen Head Bolt same thread as the Tele. Lock bolt and the Length needs to be about 1/4 to 1/2 longer than lock bolt, this is to lock the tele-shaft in bottomed out position.

you will need a steering wheel lock plate tool https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...ver/112102_0_0

once you get the plate off your home free, and all I will add is if your Ignition Cylinder is giving you any trouble NOW is the time to deal with it because you are one Torx bit screw away from replacing it and the thing that gets in the way in routing the Vats wire is the Directional Harness.

Last edited by s carter; 02-11-2018 at 06:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tkrphxr (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 06:49 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by s carter
The Large Spring is the pathway for your Horn as well aids in you effort for the telescope and it fits in the horn contact hole and snaps into a couple of fingers on back of steering wheel, the spacers just stack thin fat thin on the shaft.

Now that you are to this point you will see a plastic cover around the shaft once you remove it you are going to need a few things be for you go further a Bolt with head cut off or Allen Head Bolt same thread as the Tele. Lock bolt and the Length needs to be about 1/4 to 1/2 longer than lock bolt, this is to lock the tele-shaft in bottomed out position.
The large spring you're talking about is attached to the steering wheel. I think the spring the OP is talking about is below the "C" clip and the column lock disc.

SC, you are right about the special tool to lock the tele-shaft from moving. If you don't install this "cut-off bolt/setscrew" tool into the center of the column, all this stuff will come flying off in your face when you pull the big "C" clip! This little "setscrew" makes it easy to remove or install the "C" clip.

The OP apparently doesn't have a FSM as the order of assembly is shown in the book:
1. Lock nut
2. Nylon washer
3. Large softer plastic spacer
4. Nylon washer
5. Flimsy plastic star shaped (kinda) insulator (source: Davies Corvette, FL)
6. "C" clip (recessed side down)
7. Large disc for column lock
8. Slip ring for horn circuit
9. Stiff spring
10. Turn signal switch assy

Here's a photo of my DIY tools:

The upper tool is for pulling the pivot pins. SAE(!) allen head 8-32 screw. Insert screw. Hold screw with allen wrench. Turn nut to pull pin.

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 02-11-2018 at 09:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tkrphxr (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 07:43 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

OP - here's a thread with a couple snapshots and images that could help you ID what's busted, missing or what ever

To lock the telescoping shaft just buy a 5/16-18 set screw of substantial length to do away with the cut-off and slotting of a bolt or threaded rod.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-problems.html

Here's 2 images that if you ID by the numbers you need I'll supply you part #'s and maybe places to shop.

Name:  Tilt - travel.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  70.9 KB

Name:  early cancelling cam.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  81.6 KB

Get notified of new replies

To upper steering column question.

Quick Reply: upper steering column question.