C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

When to replace control arm bushings

Old 03-03-2018, 10:24 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,274 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Does Global west make a solution for the rear? I can't find one....
No they don't. Newman Creations used to install spherical bearings in the factory C4 rear suspension pieces. They are now no longer in business. Or you have the heim pieces from Exotic Muscle, VBP, and Banski. Not sure if Banski is still selling these pieces or not.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:11 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
No they don't. Newman Creations used to install spherical bearings in the factory C4 rear suspension pieces. They are now no longer in business. Or you have the heim pieces from Exotic Muscle, VBP, and Banski. Not sure if Banski is still selling these pieces or not.
Banski is selling all the rear suspension pieces again.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:15 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Banski is selling all the rear suspension pieces again.
Good to hear
Old 03-04-2018, 09:04 AM
Fastnail
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Hey ChumpVette, have you got any pics of how you pinned the upper control arm nuts?
Old 03-04-2018, 09:40 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Fastnail
Hey ChumpVette, have you got any pics of how you pinned the upper control arm nuts?

Torque to spec, then drill through the nut. Insert roll pin/tension pin/split pin.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:46 PM
bnnnboy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I picked up a set of Energy Suspension bushings for the front and new upper and lower ball joints. Anyone have any good how-to's (preferably with pictures), particularly of how to get the upper control arms off? I've seen lots of posts on removing the lower control arms, but not much on the uppers. As best I can tell I need to remove the two bolts holding the control arms to the frame and then remove the bit of the wheel well right above the control arm so I can get it out of the car. I've heard the nuts that hold the upper bushings on are a royal pain to remove as well. Any suggestions? Trying to educate myself as best I can before diving in.
Thanks,
Reed
Old 06-09-2018, 05:34 PM
bnnnboy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I managed to get the control arms off without too much issue and swapped the bushings no problem. After some struggling, I managed to press the rivets out of the upper ball joints with a 6-ton press and a 1/4" grade 8 bolt shaft. I bent the supplied grade 5 bolts when installing the new upper ball joints, but I bought some grade 8 bolts and they worked much better.

I didn't have much trouble pressing the lower ball joints out, but the new ones are being a pain to get started. They just don't want to go in straight with the C-clamp ball joint press from Autozone. I'm going to try a 12-ton press tomorrow. Any other tips?
Thanks,
Reed
Old 06-09-2018, 08:54 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 450 Likes on 375 Posts

I used the loan-a-tool press from Auto-Zone for the lowers on my 84. I also had a time getting them pressed in.

If I was going to do it again I would change them using a shop type hydraulic press
while I had the control arms off the car. If I did not have access to one I would take it to a dealer or machine shop and have them do the pressing out and back in.

It did make a big difference in the feel of the car.

God luck with your repair.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When to replace control arm bushings