C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 rear end sway after half shaft u-joints

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 07:32 PM
JonathanGerou
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 rear end sway after half shaft u-joints

I recently replaced the hub and half shaft u-joints on drivers side. Now I notice a pronounced pull left when accelerating. This my first Vette and I'm wondering if I forgot something. I checked the motor mounts and they are good. It almost feels like the rear end (if it we're solid) is sliding back and forth. Is there an adjustment I skipped after installation? I'm hoping it will fix itself after I win the lottery....

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:20 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Double check everything and if all is well get the car aligned. If under acceleration the car pulls toward one direction, the thrust angle is off. Not sure why it would change after the parts change. Did you change the toe rod setting.

Last edited by 383vett; 03-05-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:04 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
get the car aligned. Did you change the toe rod setting.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:29 PM
JonathanGerou
3rd Gear

I checked everything, seems good. I do remember the toe end rotating (my knuckles figured it out) when I took the nut off. It's just basically a big pin yes?
I had discount-not-knowing put it on the alignment rack and they said it was ok. I have a pull to the right normally which is due to the steering not being centered when one of the last owners had a poor alignment. I'll take care of that when I put new tires on in a couple months.
​​​​​​I have narrowed it down to the right side that I didn't replace anything on yet. Would bad u-joints or hub allow that side to change vector enough to notice between deceleration and accelerating? I haven't found any play anywhere.
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by JonathanGerou
Would bad u-joints or hub allow that side to change vector enough to notice between deceleration and accelerating? I haven't found any play anywhere.
Thanks in advance.
Not w/o making some pretty noticable noises that aren't pleasant. You could easily diagnose that by jacking it up and shaking the wheel. If the hub is loose enough to cause alignment change, you'd feel that. Same goes for U-joint.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 03-23-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:58 PM
JonathanGerou
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Not w/o making some pretty noticable noises that aren't pleasant. You could easily diagnose that by jacking it up and shaking the wheel. If the hub is loose enough to cause alignment change, you'd feel that. Same goes for U-joint.
I kind of figured that, I'll jack it up tonight and see if anything shakes loose.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 rear end sway after half shaft u-joints

Quick Reply: C4 rear end sway after half shaft u-joints