C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

NXT exhaust vs Corsa videos inside opinions pls.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 08:23 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
Its not retarded if it gets you the tone you want without the drone
No, it's still "reatarded" and here is why: there is no more value in the materials, quality of the finish and/or labor to produce that muffler than there is in a MagnaFlow, Dynomax, NXT, or any other decent stainless muffler. A muffler isn't worth $600, b/c there hasn't been $600 worth material or effort put into the thing. It's a $200 part at best. Two of 'em? That = $400 bux and that's what the NXT costs.

The pricing of the Cross 2-muffler "system" is offensive in unjustifiable...coming from someone who has owned one.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:00 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Heck, I had a hard time at $300. Lucky for me I got a sound I liked and pretty much no drone... Some people won't like it. (on the Corsa) It sure ain't a great sound for that price tbh... Having heard only one in person...

Last edited by 84 4+3; 03-21-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Crusin
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, such an uproar over a muffler. My opinion was simply I like Corsa Mufflers as they have a straight through design, thus less back pressure and No Drone on inside of car. I do agree though the price is high. if I could have purchased another muffler system with same benefits I certainly would have. Happy Motoring.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:16 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusin
Wow, such an uproar over a muffler. My opinion was simply I like Corsa Mufflers as they have a straight through design, thus less back pressure and No Drone on inside of car. I do agree though the price is high. if I could have purchased another muffler system with same benefits I certainly would have. Happy Motoring.
I dont fault you at all.. Im just envious.. some folks just need to do their best to get what works for them is all.

So far, Im digging the NXTs. The more I drive the more I like them.. even on the highway in od. Pleased... very low tone.. which I dont want but I will take it.. Im more into the high frequency scream sound.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:02 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

^^we need to hear some WOT pulls
Old 12-20-2018, 01:55 PM
Jitsu
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It took me a while to figure out which exhaust I have on my LT4 because there is no branding, but I finally figured out that they are the NXT. They were on it when I bought it.

I have to say I am quite happy with them, sound and look great with low drone. The wife has not complained yet anyway...

Old 12-20-2018, 02:01 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

I can verify, that is what you have. You have a 3.07 rear end so you should drone less than I do and mine isnt too bad but I keep it in D when Im not on the freeway so it wont shift to OD.

Originally Posted by Jitsu
It took me a while to figure out which exhaust I have on my LT4 because there is no branding, but I finally figured out that they are the NXT. They were on it when I bought it.

I have to say I am quite happy with them, sound and look great with low drone. The wife has not complained yet anyway...

Old 12-21-2018, 08:21 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Where you do the test has effect on how it sounds. If hard surfaces to bounce off of it will probably be louder. The only fair test is in the open air with nothing close to the car.
x2.Neither of those vids really sounded accurate. Plus they sound different under load.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:47 AM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

At minute 7:00 you can hear the revving to compare and although its an OBX exhaust that I used to run earlier this year, I suspect it sounds eerily close to the NXT. My coworkers dad has an 89 with a Corsa and my OBX setup seemed just a tad deeper/louder, granted I have the LT1 and he had the L98 so that had something to do with it as well.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:09 PM
jkennedy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jitsu

Do you have the factory exhaust back to the axle? It looks like the stock resonator ahead of the NXT. I'm considering the same thing, but with a X-pipe in place of the resonator. I also have an LT4 so your opinion is important to me! Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:47 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jkennedy
Do you have the factory exhaust back to the axle? It looks like the stock resonator ahead of the NXT. I'm considering the same thing, but with a X-pipe in place of the resonator. I also have an LT4 so your opinion is important to me! Thanks in advance.
If you dont like droning I wouldnt suggest removing the stock resonator with the NXT "mufflers". They just barely drone in OD with a 2.58 rear end.. if you have a 3.07 or greater it would be less but I would think NXT with pipe would drone. I have no facts to back this up its just my guess based on running NXT with stock res, manifolds and cats.

The NXT can only filter so much low freq sound as they are essentially "cherry bombs" or "glass packs".. and as they get carboned up they will get louder and louder as the frequencies reflect off the muffler material inside. I dont believe the X pipe does any sound cancelling. In fact the resonators job is to cancel some of the low frequencies and the mufflers I believe are to finish the job so to speak. Im thinking dumping the cats when going to headers for example would also allow for more droning potential.

If the NXT's arent loud enough, and you want no drone youd have to go in my opinion with the infamous corsa design ($$$$) or dump on demand.. (http://www.dmhperformance.com/photogallery.htm). Im thinking about dump on demand.. I refuse to pay for corsas..

Now if you are under 40 yrs old you probably havent listened to droning long enough to be sick to death of it so you can ignore the unsolicited advice I offer.

Also, LT4 LT1 same thing with exhaust sound.. the exhaust is identical and a mild cam is not going to make that big of a difference.

But my advice might be worth exactly what you paid for it.

Last edited by barchetta1; 01-09-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:24 AM
jkennedy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I refuse to pay for the Corsa exhaust, it's priced way too high, well over 10% of the cars value which is nuts. The nxt and obx seem like the best deal. I may try the obx cat back as shown above. They're going for $600-700 right now. The poster above did good snagging his for $500, nice. Thanks for posting everyone, this site is fantastic.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:43 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the reply. I refuse to pay for the Corsa exhaust, it's priced way too high, well over 10% of the cars value which is nuts. The nxt and obx seem like the best deal. I may try the obx cat back as shown above. They're going for $600-700 right now. The poster above did good snagging his for $500, nice. Thanks for posting everyone, this site is fantastic.
I would love to know what someone thinks of the cat back obx. I should get a tig welder and start copyright infringing the corsa design. That being said, its a market vs. demand situation. One can only assume Corsa is meeting sales objectives at the ridiculous price point they have set.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:55 PM
Jitsu
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes mine is all stock to the mufflers.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:12 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEBikp8Jce0

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/...st-technology/

Some people have resources for this.. I choose not to.. but wish I did.. $1300 is just too much for my level. Im just a lowly middle income household paying for lower income folks to stay at home.

Thank You for posting this video. "The caterpillars"....interesting. They say they hold a patent to it. I am surprised that these have not been mimicked in the offshore market. I am guessing that all the other muffler systems out there are just glass packs without the "caterpillar maze" installed.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:18 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

I like my Corsas. I went through a lot of exhaust systems until I landed on the sound that did it for me. I did not however, buy them new. I waited and scored a used set for $650.00. A little steel whool and metal polish and I made them look better than they would have if I bought them new.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:44 AM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Anyone have Borla? I picked up a really nice Borla system and can't wait to get it on the car to see what it sounds like

Get notified of new replies

To NXT exhaust vs Corsa videos inside opinions pls.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:38 PM
novaks47
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 94 Posts

The NXT's are overpriced IMO. They're just a universal, straight through round body muffler with some nice tips and a pipe that'll connect to the stock exhaust. The same muffler can be found under several brand names, including generic ebay models for half the cost. If you fancy paying even more for them, you get them under the Flowtech brand name, for just north of $500! You could likely have a local muffler shop weld on the same things for under $200, mufflers included. Not bashing them mind you, just letting people know you can get them for less.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:43 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 149 Posts

how much added drone is there when using the NXT mufflers alone on a stock system?
Old 01-11-2019, 01:34 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by novaks47
The NXT's are overpriced IMO. They're just a universal, straight through round body muffler with some nice tips and a pipe that'll connect to the stock exhaust. The same muffler can be found under several brand names, including generic ebay models for half the cost. If you fancy paying even more for them, you get them under the Flowtech brand name, for just north of $500! You could likely have a local muffler shop weld on the same things for under $200, mufflers included. Not bashing them mind you, just letting people know you can get them for less.
Please send a link to these half the cost NXT mufflers.

Quick Reply: NXT exhaust vs Corsa videos inside opinions pls.