C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Has anyone rebuilt their own 4l60e ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 04:15 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

Default Has anyone rebuilt their own 4l60e ?

My 95 auto took a dump today. It's been a while coming. That being said. I live in the Myrtle Beach area of SC and have asked many friends and can't seem to get a recommendation for a good repair shop. I was just curious if anyone did their own rebuild? If so, where did you get reference materiel? As in books and videos. I've watched most of a thorough breakdown of a 4l60e on YouTube. But it's from a 2006 SUV. So a few years difference from mine. I do all my own mechanic work. Worst comes to worst I screw the tranny up and take it to someone. But id rather do it correctly and do it myself.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Chad
Old 03-10-2018, 04:42 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

there are some pretty extensive youtube videos that show you how to do it. My friend watched a specific video that was about an hour and a half long a few times before doing it and his trans has been fine for over 10k miles so far
Old 03-10-2018, 11:32 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

You need to get the ATSG service guide and supplement for all the clearance data. Also what does it do or not do? Simple replacement of frictions and seals is easy . Troubleshooting valve problems not so much so if you have no experience.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:36 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

probuilt automatics sells a dvd for $25 that I bought a few years back when considering this type of thing. Maybe reach out to them. I watched part of it and it was very detailed. I ended up selling my core before I was able to do it.

As for the removal and reinstallation, not hard. I've done it twice now, the second time by myself with no lift, fancy tools or assistance.

Last edited by qwiketz; 03-11-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:37 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... I did mine a few years ago ... 700R4 and then a 4L60E ... still have both on the shop floor since I upgraded to a TH400 ... I liked the Haynes manual for disassembly/reassembly because it has a lot of pictures and leads you through the process step by step with simple explanations and descriptions ... I also used the ATSG manual because it has more specific specs ... find a local Transmission parts wholesaler and make friends ... these guys will tell you what works and what's a waste of money ... they can also lead you to a quality builder ... I used Dacco who was bought out by TranStar more than a couple years ago ... Good Luck ! .....

Last edited by C409; 03-13-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:51 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I found a complete tear down and rebuild from a place called Transmission Bench. Took me all weekend to watch it, it was super detailed. He even used a home made spring cage compressor. His lessons definitely made it look like I could do it.
Over the last several months the trans in my car has been not wanting to shift down from OD unless I manually shifted or gave a good bit of throttle.
Then this past Saturday it made a slight clunk sound when I put it in reverse and it was slow to back up, then when I put it in drive, it seemed like it started in second and then went to D and never would go into OD.
It just turned 133k on odometer.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:02 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by arbee
You need to get the ATSG service guide and supplement for all the clearance data. Also what does it do or not do? Simple replacement of frictions and seals is easy . Troubleshooting valve problems not so much so if you have no experience.
I have the ATSG guide and it's updates volume. Very specific. Also have Cliff Ruggles book on GM overdrive transmissions which gives you more user and hands on information.

Problem with rebuilding your own auto trans is the tools will cost over $600. That and it's suggested you still have the case cleaned by a shop that has the correct equipment to do it.

IMHO I think it's something better done on a spare core trans where time won't be an issue so you can build and learn and shop for parts and tools. Most shops don't charge much for the remove and replacement with a warranty also. If I needed to get the car back on the road I would ask around who does good honest transmission work locally.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:26 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cardo0
I have the ATSG guide and it's updates volume. Very specific. Also have Cliff Ruggles book on GM overdrive transmissions which gives you more user and hands on information.

Problem with rebuilding your own auto trans is the tools will cost over $600. That and it's suggested you still have the case cleaned by a shop that has the correct equipment to do it.

IMHO I think it's something better done on a spare core trans where time won't be an issue so you can build and learn and shop for parts and tools. Most shops don't charge much for the remove and replacement with a warranty also. If I needed to get the car back on the road I would ask around who does good honest transmission work locally.

Hope this helps.
While the suggested tools are nice, they are not necessary. I have done in access of two dozen of these transmissions with absolutely zero tools that I did not make myself from readily available cheap material. Definitely get the case cleaned but any transmission shop has an aluminum parts washer and will steam it out for a few bucks. Bushing drivers are the only tools you may need and for a 1-off occasion, take to a shop for this procedure.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:57 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

You going to do any upgrades? Not sure what's inside your transmission now. Once you get it ripped a part post pictures. I would at least bump the line pressure up and look into adding extra clutches to the first/second gear clutch packs.

How bad was the fluid? You might have to purchase a converter. I would get that flushed at the least.

Best of luck.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:04 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
You going to do any upgrades? Not sure what's inside your transmission now. Once you get it ripped a part post pictures. I would at least bump the line pressure up and look into adding extra clutches to the first/second gear clutch packs.

How bad was the fluid? You might have to purchase a converter. I would get that flushed at the least.

Best of luck.
You may have information that I am not aware of. However, I am not sure anyone makes a kit for extra frictions in the first/second clutch(it is actually the forward clutch). There are kits for the 3/4 clutch. If you have information otherwise, please post a link.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:19 PM
johnanthonyhome
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id say f* it:
http://www.monstertransmission.com/S...on_c_4040.html
The following users liked this post:
sprink94 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 12:25 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Well in my opinion your post is just another example of overconfidence and encouraging others with bad advice to begin a project beyond their capabilities creating a junk pile that won't work wasting their time and resources. Your claim to having rebuilt these transmissions by the dozens makes me wonder why. 2 dozen rebuilds should be well more than anyone's lifetime need for transmissions.

Very typical on these forums where the inexperienced are convinced to begin projects way beyond their abilities leaving them, their cars and their money a waste. Yes everyone needs to start some where and sometime but they need to know how to do it correctly and what to expect if it's not.

Loaner tools, borrowed tools, self made tools can reduce cost but you still need specialty tools for dissasembly and reassembly one way or another. First time rebuilder has a lot of decisions to make for these and working this part time can park the car for a long long time.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

Here is what I have for commercial parts
http://www.tcsproducts.com/products/.../th700r4-4l60/

https://www.sonnax.com/gm_4l60e

I've machined the clutch backing plates and drums to get a couple more clutches inside.

Nothing beats seeing what exactly going inside your transmission.

If I'm going to rebuild my 700R (I really want one of those newer tremec TR-6060).

I'm also going to get a constant line pressure valve body, gets rid of the requirement of having the TV cable tuned up properly.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:42 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Here is what I have for commercial parts
http://www.tcsproducts.com/products/.../th700r4-4l60/

https://www.sonnax.com/gm_4l60e

I've machined the clutch backing plates and drums to get a couple more clutches inside.

Nothing beats seeing what exactly going inside your transmission.

If I'm going to rebuild my 700R (I really want one of those newer tremec TR-6060).

I'm also going to get a constant line pressure valve body, gets rid of the requirement of having the TV cable tuned up properly.
Thanks for the links - I have observed these previously. I am, however, not seeing any forward clutch upgrade kits. 3/4, yes. These have been available for a number of years. If you have had luck with shaving the backing plates, this is good. Myself, I would be concerned with doing this. Since the apply pressure on the forward backing plate is not 360 degrees but rather by the "feet" on the apply piston, I would be worried about creating a "wave" condition with a weakened backing plate. To me, this would be a negative possibility and outweigh any advantage that an extra friction would derive.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:58 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

As of now, I won't be rebuilding my trans. I thought it had given up the ghost and jumped to a wrong conclusion.
I had spliced a new tc control solenoid into the existing harness and after a few weeks, the shrink wrap I used became extremely soft and a few wire strands from each wire punctured the wrap into each other causing a short. It popped a fuse and put the trans into limp mode.
I repaired it today. All back to the way it was.

Now, I'm mechanically inclined. Im a jeweler/watch tech ( not quite a watch maker) and I do cell phone repair as well. I get people ALL THE TIME that bring things to me that they saw a you tube vid and thought it'd be easy. I don't look down at them, I just smile, fix their things and take their money.
If I want to watch some instructional videos that are , to me, very extensive and well presented, and then take on the task of trying to repair my trans , then I will. With the complete understanding that if I screw it up, it'll cost me a trip to the trans shop with hat in hand to get it repaired. I have the red field manuals, and when and if I get ready to rebuild, I will also buy the specific manuals for the 4l60e with updates.
I appreciate the input and insight. If you are a professional trans mechanic , then I understand your point of view. You buy tools you need and spend the money for quality because that's how you make your living. I need a new pair of precision side cutters every other month for my job, they cost me $50 each time. But the $3 Walmart cutters don't do it.
I think you should check out the vids from Transmission Bench on YouTube. Tell me what you think. I listen to any and all opinions, my mind is never shut off to a possibility of learning something new.
Long reply/rant. Sorry

Again, thank you all for your help and input.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:35 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sluggballz
As of now, I won't be rebuilding my trans. I thought it had given up the ghost and jumped to a wrong conclusion.
I had spliced a new tc control solenoid into the existing harness and after a few weeks, the shrink wrap I used became extremely soft and a few wire strands from each wire punctured the wrap into each other causing a short. It popped a fuse and put the trans into limp mode.
I repaired it today. All back to the way it was.

Now, I'm mechanically inclined. Im a jeweler/watch tech ( not quite a watch maker) and I do cell phone repair as well. I get people ALL THE TIME that bring things to me that they saw a you tube vid and thought it'd be easy. I don't look down at them, I just smile, fix their things and take their money.
If I want to watch some instructional videos that are , to me, very extensive and well presented, and then take on the task of trying to repair my trans , then I will. With the complete understanding that if I screw it up, it'll cost me a trip to the trans shop with hat in hand to get it repaired. I have the red field manuals, and when and if I get ready to rebuild, I will also buy the specific manuals for the 4l60e with updates.
I appreciate the input and insight. If you are a professional trans mechanic , then I understand your point of view. You buy tools you need and spend the money for quality because that's how you make your living. I need a new pair of precision side cutters every other month for my job, they cost me $50 each time. But the $3 Walmart cutters don't do it.
I think you should check out the vids from Transmission Bench on YouTube. Tell me what you think. I listen to any and all opinions, my mind is never shut off to a possibility of learning something new.
Long reply/rant. Sorry

Again, thank you all for your help and input.
Rebuilding a transmission is no harder than any other automotive item and is not brain surgery. If you have the ATSG manuals for clearance specs and tech info and follow the videos you will be ok. It sounds from your line of work you already are experienced with meticulous work. The main thing to remember is maintain constant cleanliness and don't take any shortcuts. I would suggest that you buy a core from a junkyard and rebuild it at your leisure. I did this my first time and it was 100.00 from a wrecker.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:34 PM
knikula
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I did my 1984 700R4 myself with guidance from transmission bench, made my own "special" tools. It was the 1st auto that I ever had apart. That clip in the Low/Reverse area can be tough to get at... need some pretty good clip remover pliers.

I will confess to a slight feeling of panic as I took all that stuff apart and tried to lay it on the bench in order of disassembly, but that TransBench video moves SO slow on reassembly, it's hard to miss anything.

I have a couple 4L60E equipped trucks missing 3/4 sitting in my driveway now that I picked up cheap , and plan on doing them this Spring when the snow is gone...

Glad you got your problem fixed/solved with having to look at the guts.

Every 4L60E will fail as those seals get non-pliable with age and time spent at high temperatures. Hardest part was getting the trans in and out of the car, IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone rebuilt their own 4l60e ?

Old 03-20-2018, 06:20 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
While I have now collected most of the special tools for a 700/4L60/4L60e, I've adlibbed them in the past. I don't know how you'd do the forward drum without a clutch compressor tool or a regular press with a made-up "fingers".

The biggest thing is being mentored on how to do it. There are a zillion ways to screw it up. Most things, if you get it wrong, it won't assemble without force, so eventually you are forced to figure it out. But there are things you can F-up and it will take time to figure it out. I had a 40-year friend who was a professional trans builder for those 40+ years. I used to take my units to him for rebuild, and he'd show me things, and I'd ask questions. I learned a lot, he taught me everything I knew at the time of his passing 4 years ago. Here's two things he DID'NT teach me which I've learned on my own since:

A: The 2 valve body gaskets are identified by a "C" and a "V". The "C" goes on top. If you get them mixed up, it works, but not correctly.

B: The Torque Converter shift valve in the pump can be installed upside down. There will be no Lock-up, and the converter clutch is destroyed by "slipping" if you don't identify this problem right away.

I'm sure my buddy was laughing his azz off at me. My point is that the videos and books are great, and invaluable, but being taught or being able to WATCH a master do it is priceless. Every time I go after that snap ring on the output shaft and struggle with it for 5 minutes, I say to my buddy "how the F did you make this look so easy?". The answer is of course he did it 5-10 times a week for 30 years. I do it once or twice a year.

While a M30 or MD8 can be rebuilt by a novice, it should be learned on a core transmission. Not the only one you have.
Very simple. A piece of 3/4 angle cut to length, short length of all thread, 3 or 4 3/8 nuts and a short piece of sized ABS pipe with a bottom side hawged out for access to the snap ring. Scrap material that anyone has laying around.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:28 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Very simple. A piece of 3/4 angle cut to length, short length of all thread, 3 or 4 3/8 nuts and a short piece of sized ABS pipe with a bottom side hawged out for access to the snap ring. Scrap material that anyone has laying around.
The video series I watched from Transmission Bench he used a piece of angle iron, threaded rod, nuts and another piece of flat iron bent into a flat bottomed "u". Those pieces were used in different configurations to accomplish compression. Other than the bushing tools, I have everything in my garage that he used. He even gave options to use different size sockets to seat bushings.
Going into the videos, I thought auto transmissions were black magic, he made things very understandable and was methodical in his approach to teaching, which is what he was doing, teaching.
I would like to find a core a do a rebuild , but I have a 1995, a one year only transmission. So I'll keep looking and try to find one for the near future.
arbee (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 04:04 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

^^ That's how I did it to.

I'm glad you guys are at least talking actual tech now. A couple years ago this place was just wax and shine.

-- Joe
arbee (03-21-2018)

Quick Reply: Has anyone rebuilt their own 4l60e ?