C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

That Old Tilt Steering Wheel Wiggle Thing

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 12:39 AM
Antarctico
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default That Old Tilt Steering Wheel Wiggle Thing

It took me a while to really notice this, but my '96 has a mild case of the old Saginaw tilt steering wiggle. The wheel is still fully loaded by the tilt spring, so it doesn't normally feel loose, but if I grab it in both hands and start wrenching the wheel, it moves a bit and (softly) clunks. It does this equally up/down and left/right and at all tilt positions. Hopefully, it is just the four bolts that hold tilt knuckle to the lower column and not the holes for the tilt pivot pins rounding out. Loctite is cheaper than a new knuckle ($170-$230).

On the plus side, years ago, I had to fix this same problem on my 1989 Jeep Comanche (which I let go wa-a-ay too long before I fixed it), so I've done this repair before. I even have a complete OTC tool kit with the steering wheel puller, lock plate remover, and pivot pin puller.

Hopefully, I will be able to take care of this with the column still in the car. I was able to do this in my Jeep, but I had a little more room to work with than in my Vette.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:00 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Antarctico
It took me a while to really notice this, but my '96 has a mild case of the old Saginaw tilt steering wiggle. The wheel is still fully loaded by the tilt spring, so it doesn't normally feel loose, but if I grab it in both hands and start wrenching the wheel, it moves a bit and (softly) clunks. It does this equally up/down and left/right and at all tilt positions. Hopefully, it is just the four bolts that hold tilt knuckle to the lower column and not the holes for the tilt pivot pins rounding out. Loctite is cheaper than a new knuckle ($170-$230).

On the plus side, years ago, I had to fix this same problem on my 1989 Jeep Comanche (which I let go wa-a-ay too long before I fixed it), so I've done this repair before. I even have a complete OTC tool kit with the steering wheel puller, lock plate remover, and pivot pin puller.

Hopefully, I will be able to take care of this with the column still in the car. I was able to do this in my Jeep, but I had a little more room to work with than in my Vette.

I believe the Saginaw tilt changed just a little later in production and the 4 bolts you mentioned aren't as frequently an issue. It seems to me that an early 'column shifted car' particularly used that plate as a support for the shift tube and the detent plate in the upper housing exasperated the failure of the bolt fastening. Column shifted cars had way more issues than the floor shifted.

Yours actually sounds to be an 'expected both hands' experience. It will be interesting to see what you find. It's way different (many more components) than the Jeep though getting to the bolts. Best I recall we generally did 3 of the bolts because they were an easy reach without very much dismantling. I'd maybe think hard. I may have a later column in pieces to look at later in the day.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-18-2018 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:30 PM
Antarctico
Instructor

Super Chevy has a good article online where they tear down a column from a 1993 Corvette and replace the tilt steering knuckle. Aside from getting the airbag out of the way, and removing the clockspring, the internals look pretty much like the Saginaw column in my 1989 Comanche (which was floor shifted). There are some wiring differences, like for the PASSkey cylinder.

I'm going to tear everything down to the knuckle. So yes, it will be interesting to see what I find. Hopefully, nothing that means dropping a couple Benjamins on parts!

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I believe the Saginaw tilt changed just a little later in production and the 4 bolts you mentioned aren't as frequently an issue. It seems to me that an early 'column shifted car' particularly used that plate as a support for the shift tube and the detent plate in the upper housing exasperated the failure of the bolt fastening. Column shifted cars had way more issues than the floor shifted.

Yours actually sounds to be an 'expected both hands' experience. It will be interesting to see what you find. It's way different (many more components) than the Jeep though getting to the bolts. Best I recall we generally did 3 of the bolts because they were an easy reach without very much dismantling. I'd maybe think hard. I may have a later column in pieces to look at later in the day.

Last edited by Antarctico; 03-18-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:47 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Look at snapshot #21 in that sequence and you'll see the support retention difference from what you likely had in your Jeep vs the later Saginaw column. If your jeep had the E8 bolts for retention it used the plate I mention. If they were actually 'hex' like the #21 then it's very similar.

C4 columns transitioned from the E8 to the hex and a different mast jacket in late '86 production I believe but for sure I believe all '87 on.

In the later support retention scheme unless the tilt was really bad and abused the 4 screws to the mast jacket aren't an issue.

The E8 and the plate was used by some GM's I believe well into the '90+ production.

Having been there before what you find will be interesting.

This might be similar to your Jeep

http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-18-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:29 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Antarctico
Super Chevy has a good article online where they tear down a column from a 1993 Corvette and replace the tilt steering knuckle. Aside from getting the airbag out of the way, and removing the clockspring, the internals look pretty much like the Saginaw column in my 1989 Comanche (which was floor shifted). There are some wiring differences, like for the PASSkey cylinder.

I'm going to tear everything down to the knuckle. So yes, it will be interesting to see what I find. Hopefully, nothing that means dropping a couple Benjamins on parts!

Knuckles from early/late 90s F-bodies are similar, if not the same. I actually rebuilt my 85 column with an F body knuckle out of a 96 Firebird from the junkyard. They didn't know how to price it so they said, "just take it". Sure beats paying hundreds for an "authentic" version that does the same thing. Crazy how basic items so widely shared across many many platforms over decades end up like this. All because that part was tossed in the Corvette parts bin instead of the Chevy cargo van bin on the assembly line, its value somehow multiplies drastically. These knuckles are a classic case of the Corvette Tax.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 03-18-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:56 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

pm hippy he has the fix noone wanted to pay for it
Old 03-19-2018, 04:27 PM
Antarctico
Instructor

I had enough time today before heading to work to get the column torn down to the point were the next step is to remove the nylon turn signal widget, lock cylinder, and column trim/shell. The worst difficulty I had was picking which pair of bolts to use with the steering wheel puller, and stabbing myself in the index finger with a pick while taking off the lockplate snap ring. It's just not working on your ride until you draw blood.

Regarding attachment differences between the Jeep and my Vette, yes, the Jeep did use the E8 inverted Torx head bolts instead of normal old hex-head bolts. I am mentally preparing myself to drop $230 on a new tilt knuckle. I can just add this to the parts I already know I need: new jam nut for the steering wheel, new clockspring snap ring, new lockplate snap ring, new steering wheel horn switch (crummy, brittle 22-y/o plastic).

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Look at snapshot #21 in that sequence and you'll see the support retention difference from what you likely had in your Jeep vs the later Saginaw column. If your jeep had the E8 bolts for retention it used the plate I mention. If they were actually 'hex' like the #21 then it's very similar.

C4 columns transitioned from the E8 to the hex and a different mast jacket in late '86 production I believe but for sure I believe all '87 on.

In the later support retention scheme unless the tilt was really bad and abused the 4 screws to the mast jacket aren't an issue.

The E8 and the plate was used by some GM's I believe well into the '90+ production.

Having been there before what you find will be interesting.

This might be similar to your Jeep

http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html
Old 03-19-2018, 04:57 PM
Antarctico
Instructor

What does Hippy have?

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
pm hippy he has the fix noone wanted to pay for it

Get notified of new replies

To That Old Tilt Steering Wheel Wiggle Thing

Quick Reply: That Old Tilt Steering Wheel Wiggle Thing