C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Alignment

Old 03-18-2018, 05:52 PM
Tony neal
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment

How much does it cost to get your car aligned drifts to the right
Old 03-18-2018, 06:53 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

That will depend on how long it takes. I would make sure it goes to someone who has experience aligning Corvettes. Most competent alignment shops charge a fee for the first hour then a little less per hour each additional hour. It cost me $220 to get mine done after I replaced the suspension, ball joints and tie rods.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:19 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 539 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony neal

How long is a piece of string? Bent parts, broken parts, worn parts, bad tires, bad rims, etc.... take your poison. Reliable shop, shady shop. Busy area, not so busy. You have to check the reputation of the shops in your area and get an estimate.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:39 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony neal
Hi
First check the obvious suspension bushes, wheel bearings and ball joints for play.

If anything is bad replace it then bring it in for a 4 wheel alignment,
I recommend going from standard 3 degrees caster to 6 degrees.
Was changed to 6 degrees on later years to avoid the car darting left or right to follow contours in the road,
Keep camber factory or 0 degrees.

There are set rates for 4 wheel alignments, do not be fooled by LAZY "toe and go" alignment shops asking for more money.
The C4 has an easy to align suspension system, bring your owners manual with say set to standard (Not some figures they pull out their ***)
If they ask for more, say what does a 4 wheel alignment involve? toe and go or camber and caster adjustment as well? then go elsewhere.

I ended up doing my own wheel alignments after having a car go from good before to bad afterwards,
some joker thought negative camber was the way to go....... she would dart dangerously left or right to follow road contours.

I set my car to 0 camber and 6 degrees caster, she became a pleasure to drive.
No longer need both hands on the wheel to take charge, from keeping the car from running of the road following some odd contours on the highway.

Good luck.

Last edited by gerardvg; 03-19-2018 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:43 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

For some reason there seems to be alot of alignment equipment that has a zero camber reading "in the red" or out of spec.
​​​​​​​It shouldn't be. Zero camber is what you want unless it's a track car.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:43 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Make sure you state a non-factory alignment, unless that's what you want. Check around for some good alignment settings, the stock are kind of tame. Up to you.

When looking for a good shop to do alignment, check for a Corvette shop first, get a recommendation there. If no luck, like I did, well, ask a lot of questions and make time to be present or force a deal instead of "take as long as you need". The suspension is too flexible, they can't just sit it on their computer system and make some adjustments, they will chase forever (been there, paid for that, over $250 and still wrong. ).

Really, many suggest doing an alignment yourself, better in the long run. Search around, here's one starter:
http://www.negative-camber.org/jam14...alignment.html
Old 03-20-2018, 02:17 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

I'd guess on average between $100-125 if it's a reputable shop that will align this specific car correctly.

Just be sure you are starting with a good suspension. Worn bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, etc... even a worn steering rack can ruin a good alignment. Or rather I should say, you can't even do a good alignment if these parts are too worn. Some shops won't waste their time trying to align a car that can't keep it's own parts on straight.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:07 PM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Default alignment

Recently paid $79 for 4 wheel alignment after replacing the rear transverse leaf spring. Thought that was good price- Chevy dealer in Milan Indiana. Another reason to live in the country!!!

Last edited by pnewt; 03-20-2018 at 04:10 PM. Reason: more info needed
Old 03-20-2018, 04:13 PM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by pnewt
Recently paid $79 for 4 wheel alignment after replacing the rear transverse leaf spring. Thought that was good price- Chevy dealer in Milan Indiana. Another reason to live in the country!!!
Experienced Corvette guys,Shop Mgr ran Keen parts in Cincy for years. Make sure you find someone experienced with Corvettes as previous posters have said Good Luck
Old 03-20-2018, 06:33 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

A couple of years ago I paid about $160 to have a new to me C6 aligned. The car had some very un-nerving handling characteristics, and figured I'd start with a 4 wheel alignment. The alignment helped a bit - but didn't solve the problem, but at least I knew that the tires were pointing the right way. The 4 Wheel alignment at a good shop took about an hour and change.

Now - I don't completely agree with PatternDayTrader. I don't see anything wrong with a little bit of neg camber on the street. Don't go crazy on a street driven car - but maybe neg 1/2 degree. Just so when you put some cornering load on the tire - it's flatter... Yes - the neg 1/2 degree will give you a bit more inner tire wear - but not enough to lose any sleep over....
The following users liked this post:
davekp78 (03-21-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alignment