C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headlight motor repair question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 05:34 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Headlight motor repair question

One of the plastic headlight motor gears is stripped in my 85, the 2-3/8 inch diameter gear (not the gear thats driven by the worm gear on the motor, its the other plastic gear). Replacing it seems easy enough but are there any special procedures I need to do on this? Do I just slap the gear in and button the case back up or does it need to be "timed" in some sort of way so that the headlight opens and closes correctly? What makes the motor turn off when it reaches the fully open or fully closed position? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by TheGreek!; 03-19-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:39 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

There's some confusion on headlight motors, so let me clarify for others reading this thread: The '84-'87 headlight motors are entirely different than the '88-'96 motors. To easily identify them, the manual control **** on the "early" motors is on the bottom of the motor. The manual control **** on the "late" motors is on the top of the motor.

Now, to your question: There are limit switches on the armature shaft of the early motor that shut off the motor when the headlight door hits its stops. This happens because the armature shaft "climbs" the worm gear as the large gears are stalled by the door hitting the stops. The shaft then slides up or down in the armature bearings, actuating the limit switches.

Here's a link for the repair process, but Cliff's excellent procedure doesn't mention the importance of cleaning the limit switches!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...placement.html

There is no "orientation" to the large gear. The motor will run until the headlight door hits its stops, either up or down. Use a light weight white grease, like LubriPlate or CRC Sta-Lube on the motor armature shaft bearings so the armature shaft can can slide easily in the bearings.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:28 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
There's some confusion on headlight motors, so let me clarify for others reading this thread: The '84-'87 headlight motors are entirely different than the '88-'96 motors. To easily identify them, the manual control **** on the "early" motors is on the bottom of the motor. The manual control **** on the "late" motors is on the top of the motor.

Now, to your question: There are limit switches on the armature shaft of the early motor that shut off the motor when the headlight door hits its stops. This happens because the armature shaft "climbs" the worm gear as the large gears are stalled by the door hitting the stops. The shaft then slides up or down in the armature bearings, actuating the limit switches.

Here's a link for the repair process, but Cliff's excellent procedure doesn't mention the importance of cleaning the limit switches!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...placement.html

There is no "orientation" to the large gear. The motor will run until the headlight door hits its stops, either up or down. Use a light weight white grease, like LubriPlate or CRC Sta-Lube on the motor armature shaft bearings so the armature shaft can can slide easily in the bearings.

Thanks for the info and the link to the other thread. I just finished reassembling and reinstalling the headlight assembly, it works good again. At least until it strips another gear, lol. I might get a couple of sets of the brass gears later on and rebuild both headlight motor assemblies with the better gears and never have to worry about it again but for now the cheap replacement plastic gear I installed will do for a while.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:15 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGreek!
I might get a couple of sets of the brass gears later on and rebuild both headlight motor assemblies with the better gears and never have to worry about it again.
That "cheap" plastic gear will probably last you for the next 30 years!

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight motor repair question

Quick Reply: Headlight motor repair question