C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Remote startkeyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 12:52 PM
wjc1947
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote startkeyless entry

I have a 1986 pace car I would like to install a keyless entry with remote start, I have heard that the remote start is not possible due to the vats system. is this true, is its possible to bypass that or should I just get a system for keyless entry only tks
Old 03-22-2018, 01:02 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I would avoid remote start products. Lots of problems are caused by these sorts of things.
Not even one week ago, I had to remove the remote start system that had been installed on an Impala I recently bought, because every time you moved the tilt steering column the engine would stall. This sort of thing happens very frequently. The complications with the vats system will only make it worse.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:07 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

The installer is a large part of the reliability of the kit. Remote start can added although I wouldn't. A resistor that is equal to key pellet is wired in to trick the VATS when to start button is pressed. The keyless entry without starting would be a better choice. Either way you want an experienced installer to do it. The kit should be from a company with at least 4 star rated customer service. You don't want the "run around" in 6 months if there is a problem.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:07 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
I have RS systems on 3 of my vehicles, but I installed them myself. I have way above-average, excellent automotive electrical skills. I know how to do reliable interfaces with wiring that won't give problems for the life of the vehicle they are installed in. I've worked on vehicles with "professionally installed" systems that were atrocious. Nothing but problems because of crappy practices (t-taps, butt splices, scotch-locks, etc) on behalf of the installer.

Your 86 is a slam-dunk of an install as long as it is an automatic transmission. If it is a 4+3, DON'T do a remote start because you must leave the shifter in Reverse to get the key out of the ignition. While there are ways around anything, just don't install an RS on a manual. The VATS is easy to bypass either during the RS only, or at all times. Most RKE R/S systems will also have a Ground When Locked output that can be used to disable the starter. If you don't have the remote to enter the car, the GWA will prevent cranking.

If it is an automatic, and you think you really need RS, go for it. No biggie. But be SURE the guy doing it knows how to do trouble-free wiring interfaces, or you will regret it at some point in the future because of problems associated with crappy connections.
The manual trans situation is a very good point. One that never crossed my mind.

Get notified of new replies

To Remote startkeyless entry

Quick Reply: Remote startkeyless entry