C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

new member ,old problem cranks no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 02:31 AM
Raikoto
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member ,old problem cranks no start

Hi There,I'm a new member,joined because I wanted some info.I 've been using this site for a few years,but never needed to ask anything,before.I KNOW this is somethng many posts have on this subject but,still I'm stumped on this one, I have a 1985 auto ,with 14000 miles.(original miles) car was in storage for about 20 years.I've had it for about 5 years ,I'm 2nd owner,,long story about how I ended up with it. Anywayzz,,here goes,, Bear with me plz. Car cranks but wont start,battery is fully charged,cranks fast, Has spark,,pulled couple wires off,stuck a phillips in,cranked,,sparked against block,,strong spark. Has fuel,,39 lbs at test port,fuel pump and filter was replaced when i 1st got the car.Ran a Noid light tester on all 8 inj. clips,has pulse.removed MAF wire ,,sprayed starting fluid..started with the starter fliud but dies after. I hooked up the OBD1 scanner,,It doesnt communicate with scanner,,no check eng light is on,I couldnt pull codes because the scanner doesnt work,,I replaced the ECM,used the old prom. Still no communication to scanner,all the fuses are good.But No start.
Here's the thing,,When I turn the key to on position , speed o meter gliches,,The speed gragh thing shows about 30ish mph,,The digital meter shows a backwards 6 and a 8,,for a split second
Then it changes to 28 27 26 etc. it scrolls down to zero,,at the same time the gragh side also runs down to zero...it started doing this the same time ,,the no start cond. happened All the other gauges ,and tach are normal
I live in Hawaii ,sooo we're probably on different time schedules,,but I'll check tmrw morning ,If anyone responded to my plea
BTW I'm a 60 yrs old,retired heavy equipment mechanic,,this car was my retirement project,,got it running 4-5 yrs ago,,I put just about 10000 miles on it,It had 3252 oriiginal miles on it when I got the car
Old 03-24-2018, 01:07 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

per the noid test, the injectors are getting the signal to fire, and you have fuel pressure, and the engine starts, momentarily, on starting fluid, then the injectors (probably original?) aren't firing? I believe that each injector has its own internal, very fine mesh filter screen and these may be plugged, plus the injectors are an electrical device and they may not last forever either. I believe you can send the injectors out for testing and cleaning, but on the original multitec injectors, which weren't all that great to begin with, a set of new or rebuilt Bosch III injectors maybe in order.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:20 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Raikoto
Hi There,I'm a new member,joined because I wanted some info.I 've been using this site for a few years,but never needed to ask anything,before.I KNOW this is somethng many posts have on this subject but,still I'm stumped on this one, I have a 1985 auto ,with 14000 miles.(original miles) car was in storage for about 20 years.I've had it for about 5 years ,I'm 2nd owner,,long story about how I ended up with it. Anywayzz,,here goes,, Bear with me plz. Car cranks but wont start,battery is fully charged,cranks fast, Has spark,,pulled couple wires off,stuck a phillips in,cranked,,sparked against block,,strong spark. Has fuel,,39 lbs at test port,fuel pump and filter was replaced when i 1st got the car.Ran a Noid light tester on all 8 inj. clips,has pulse.removed MAF wire ,,sprayed starting fluid..started with the starter fliud but dies after. I hooked up the OBD1 scanner,,It doesnt communicate with scanner,,no check eng light is on,I couldnt pull codes because the scanner doesnt work,,I replaced the ECM,used the old prom. Still no communication to scanner,all the fuses are good.But No start.
Here's the thing,,When I turn the key to on position , speed o meter gliches,,The speed gragh thing shows about 30ish mph,,The digital meter shows a backwards 6 and a 8,,for a split second
Then it changes to 28 27 26 etc. it scrolls down to zero,,at the same time the gragh side also runs down to zero...it started doing this the same time ,,the no start cond. happened All the other gauges ,and tach are normal
I live in Hawaii ,sooo we're probably on different time schedules,,but I'll check tmrw morning ,If anyone responded to my plea
BTW I'm a 60 yrs old,retired heavy equipment mechanic,,this car was my retirement project,,got it running 4-5 yrs ago,,I put just about 10000 miles on it,It had 3252 oriiginal miles on it when I got the car
85 is an odd bird. Not sure what scanners work with it or not other than maybe a SnapOn or a GM Tech 1.

So you have spark since it runs and you have injector pulse or so the noid light says. You have fuel pressure but does it hold pressure for a while? Do you have fuel going into the cylinders? Seems to be it works when you have lighter fluid so it should be fine. PErhaps as Mtwoolford suggested, you have it all except the fuel doesn't go to the cylinder. If that is the case, you might need THIS replaced. Multecs are fuel cooled and susceptible to ethanol. It couldn't hurt to replace them today even if they are not all bad.

I believe you use 22 pph but call Jon and ask him if 22 or 24 works best.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:37 AM
Raikoto
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your responses,,Looks like its time to pull my injectors,,,Do you have any idea why my speed o meter is glitching? the no start cond and the spd o meter problem Seems to have started at the same time.

Get notified of new replies

To new member ,old problem cranks no start

Quick Reply: new member ,old problem cranks no start