1985 AC Delco fuel pump? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion


C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 AC Delco fuel pump?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #1  
FOURSPEEDVETTE
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
FOURSPEEDVETTE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,974
Thanked 92 Times in 74 Posts
Default 1985 AC Delco fuel pump?

I am thinking about replacing my original fuel pump as preventative maintenance. Can someone give me a suggestion as to the "genuine" AC Delco units I see on line for about $60.00? Do they have the same wire connections as the originals? Do they come with new socks and tank gaskets? Are they of good quality? I notice lots of posts saying it's an easy job. Anyone had any problems? Thanks for any advice.
FOURSPEEDVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:05 AM   #2  
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Charles Town WV
Posts: 16,728
Thanked 867 Times in 831 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE View Post
I am thinking about replacing my original fuel pump as preventative maintenance. Can someone give me a suggestion as to the "genuine" AC Delco units I see on line for about $60.00? Do they have the same wire connections as the originals? Do they come with new socks and tank gaskets? Are they of good quality? I notice lots of posts saying it's an easy job. Anyone had any problems? Thanks for any advice.
Nearly anything you buy currently ACD or 'other than' won't have the same connector to the pump. No sock or gasket either. Some/many include a pig-tail to use for the pump. Some don't. Do you know that yours is actually original?

There's no reason to buy the ACD but what ever you decide to buy I'd buy LOCAL. If there's issues the parts guy is standing 'toe to toe' with you.

There's likely several or at least a few 'local' choices. See what's in the box before buying and comparing. It should be a very popular pump and most will have it on the shelf and maybe a couple different brands.

If you used a GM # 25116163 as a reference it might get you closer to what's considered maybe original.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-16-2018 at 11:11 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #3  
xrav22
CF Senior Member
 
xrav22's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2013
Location: Reseda Cali.
Posts: 1,147
Thanked 92 Times in 88 Posts
Default

I bought the fuel pump at pep boys(spectre) and the rest on ebay. The pump came with different adapters and fit the best ones together.
Plugged in perfect.




I noticed the PO spliced a fuel pump in and the sock was sideways resticting the pickup. Good Luck

Last edited by xrav22; 04-16-2018 at 12:06 PM.
xrav22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #4  
FOURSPEEDVETTE
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
FOURSPEEDVETTE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,974
Thanked 92 Times in 74 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
Nearly anything you buy currently ACD or 'other than' won't have the same connector to the pump. No sock or gasket either. Some/many include a pig-tail to use for the pump. Some don't. Do you know that yours is actually original?

There's no reason to buy the ACD but what ever you decide to buy I'd buy LOCAL. If there's issues the parts guy is standing 'toe to toe' with you.

There's likely several or at least a few 'local' choices. See what's in the box before buying and comparing. It should be a very popular pump and most will have it on the shelf and maybe a couple different brands.

If you used a GM # 25116163 as a reference it might get you closer to what's considered maybe original.
Yes. It's definitely the original. 52,000 miles and 33 years old! But it still works perfectly. It's about time to replace it though. I agree that I'll get one from a local parts store as you said. I'm just in the planning stage right now trying to get the correct part number and specifics. I don't want some off brand junk that will only last a short time. I've always kept my replacement parts AC Delco when I could. I'm looking for a kit that has the correct tank gasket and filter.
FOURSPEEDVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #5  
aklim
CF Senior Member
 
aklim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Hartford WI
Posts: 13,319
Thanked 584 Times in 574 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE View Post
Yes. It's definitely the original. 52,000 miles and 33 years old! But it still works perfectly. It's about time to replace it though. I agree that I'll get one from a local parts store as you said. I'm just in the planning stage right now trying to get the correct part number and specifics. I don't want some off brand junk that will only last a short time. I've always kept my replacement parts AC Delco when I could. I'm looking for a kit that has the correct tank gasket and filter.
Actually, you also want to replace the pulsator with the correct type of hose. IIRC, it isn't just fuel hose. It has to have a certain rating to be submerged in fuel otherwise the outside will dissolve inwards.

I don't agree with buying local since many of the chain stores have some guy who is there today and not tomorrow so they might not know anything about what you want.

http://www.racetronix.biz/customkiti...kc=FPA-009&eq=

Complete kit. I bought it and didn't even have to make a run to the parts store. It was like what the Prego sauce ad says. It's in there. It even has 9 SS allen bolts to replace your current rusted out ones.
aklim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #6  
FOURSPEEDVETTE
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
FOURSPEEDVETTE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,974
Thanked 92 Times in 74 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Actually, you also want to replace the pulsator with the correct type of hose. IIRC, it isn't just fuel hose. It has to have a certain rating to be submerged in fuel otherwise the outside will dissolve inwards.

I don't agree with buying local since many of the chain stores have some guy who is there today and not tomorrow so they might not know anything about what you want.

http://www.racetronix.biz/customkiti...kc=FPA-009&eq=

Complete kit. I bought it and didn't even have to make a run to the parts store. It was like what the Prego sauce ad says. It's in there. It even has 9 SS allen bolts to replace your current rusted out ones.
Thanks, and I don't mean to sound dumb, but is this Walbro pump a direct replacement for the stock pump? I am not looking for a "race ready" type fuel pump. Only one that will operate exactly as the original pump does and have the same characteristics as the original. Basically a plug and play type setup.
FOURSPEEDVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #7  
aklim
CF Senior Member
 
aklim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Hartford WI
Posts: 13,319
Thanked 584 Times in 574 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE View Post
Thanks, and I don't mean to sound dumb, but is this Walbro pump a direct replacement for the stock pump?

I am not looking for a "race ready" type fuel pump.

Only one that will operate exactly as the original pump does and have the same characteristics as the original. Basically a plug and play type setup.
It is probably a little different but it should be fine. IIRC, I installed that for someone and done my own without blowing up the house. I don't even know if you can get NOS pumps, assuming they sell them without the assembly.

Good. This isn't it. It isn't even the higher volume one.

It is about as P&P as you are getting. You could order the entire assembly but from the pictures I am looking at, they deleted the pulsator and have crimped fuel hose on the output and the feed line in the tank. This kit has everything you need and nothing you don't. I was nervous about installing it since I was not sure the bolts would come out nicely but they did after some persuasion. I wouldn't reinstall them without through cleaning of the threads just in case it gets stuck.
aklim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aklim For This Useful Post:
FOURSPEEDVETTE (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #8  
xrav22
CF Senior Member
 
xrav22's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2013
Location: Reseda Cali.
Posts: 1,147
Thanked 92 Times in 88 Posts
Default

This one works great and is on sale
https://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...205.7L%2520OHV
and
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-1986-1...72.m2749.l2649

Good to go, don't hear a peep and runs perfect.
xrav22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:36 PM   #9  
playsdixie
CF Senior Member
 
playsdixie's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2013
Location: ft myers FL/Munising MI
Posts: 1,139
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Actually, you also want to replace the pulsator with the correct type of hose. IIRC, it isn't just fuel hose. It has to have a certain rating to be submerged in fuel otherwise the outside will dissolve inwards.

I don't agree with buying local since many of the chain stores have some guy who is there today and not tomorrow so they might not know anything about what you want.

http://www.racetronix.biz/customkiti...kc=FPA-009&eq=

Complete kit. I bought it and didn't even have to make a run to the parts store. It was like what the Prego sauce ad says. It's in there. It even has 9 SS allen bolts to replace your current rusted out ones.
bought the same kit....works great
playsdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • 1985 AC Delco fuel pump?
  •  
     
    Reply


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump

    Sponsored Ads
    Vendor Directory

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:04 AM.


    We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: