C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 AC Delco fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 10:48 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Default 1985 AC Delco fuel pump?

I am thinking about replacing my original fuel pump as preventative maintenance. Can someone give me a suggestion as to the "genuine" AC Delco units I see on line for about $60.00? Do they have the same wire connections as the originals? Do they come with new socks and tank gaskets? Are they of good quality? I notice lots of posts saying it's an easy job. Anyone had any problems? Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:05 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
I am thinking about replacing my original fuel pump as preventative maintenance. Can someone give me a suggestion as to the "genuine" AC Delco units I see on line for about $60.00? Do they have the same wire connections as the originals? Do they come with new socks and tank gaskets? Are they of good quality? I notice lots of posts saying it's an easy job. Anyone had any problems? Thanks for any advice.
Nearly anything you buy currently ACD or 'other than' won't have the same connector to the pump. No sock or gasket either. Some/many include a pig-tail to use for the pump. Some don't. Do you know that yours is actually original?

There's no reason to buy the ACD but what ever you decide to buy I'd buy LOCAL. If there's issues the parts guy is standing 'toe to toe' with you.

There's likely several or at least a few 'local' choices. See what's in the box before buying and comparing. It should be a very popular pump and most will have it on the shelf and maybe a couple different brands.

If you used a GM # 25116163 as a reference it might get you closer to what's considered maybe original.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-16-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:06 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I bought the fuel pump at pep boys(spectre) and the rest on ebay. The pump came with different adapters and fit the best ones together.
Plugged in perfect.

I noticed the PO spliced a fuel pump in and the sock was sideways resticting the pickup. Good Luck

Last edited by xrav22; 04-16-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:16 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Nearly anything you buy currently ACD or 'other than' won't have the same connector to the pump. No sock or gasket either. Some/many include a pig-tail to use for the pump. Some don't. Do you know that yours is actually original?

There's no reason to buy the ACD but what ever you decide to buy I'd buy LOCAL. If there's issues the parts guy is standing 'toe to toe' with you.

There's likely several or at least a few 'local' choices. See what's in the box before buying and comparing. It should be a very popular pump and most will have it on the shelf and maybe a couple different brands.

If you used a GM # 25116163 as a reference it might get you closer to what's considered maybe original.
Yes. It's definitely the original. 52,000 miles and 33 years old! But it still works perfectly. It's about time to replace it though. I agree that I'll get one from a local parts store as you said. I'm just in the planning stage right now trying to get the correct part number and specifics. I don't want some off brand junk that will only last a short time. I've always kept my replacement parts AC Delco when I could. I'm looking for a kit that has the correct tank gasket and filter.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:37 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Yes. It's definitely the original. 52,000 miles and 33 years old! But it still works perfectly. It's about time to replace it though. I agree that I'll get one from a local parts store as you said. I'm just in the planning stage right now trying to get the correct part number and specifics. I don't want some off brand junk that will only last a short time. I've always kept my replacement parts AC Delco when I could. I'm looking for a kit that has the correct tank gasket and filter.
Actually, you also want to replace the pulsator with the correct type of hose. IIRC, it isn't just fuel hose. It has to have a certain rating to be submerged in fuel otherwise the outside will dissolve inwards.

I don't agree with buying local since many of the chain stores have some guy who is there today and not tomorrow so they might not know anything about what you want.

http://www.racetronix.biz/customkiti...kc=FPA-009&eq=

Complete kit. I bought it and didn't even have to make a run to the parts store. It was like what the Prego sauce ad says. It's in there. It even has 9 SS allen bolts to replace your current rusted out ones.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:36 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by aklim
Actually, you also want to replace the pulsator with the correct type of hose. IIRC, it isn't just fuel hose. It has to have a certain rating to be submerged in fuel otherwise the outside will dissolve inwards.

I don't agree with buying local since many of the chain stores have some guy who is there today and not tomorrow so they might not know anything about what you want.

Complete kit. I bought it and didn't even have to make a run to the parts store. It was like what the Prego sauce ad says. It's in there. It even has 9 SS allen bolts to replace your current rusted out ones.
Thanks, and I don't mean to sound dumb, but is this Walbro pump a direct replacement for the stock pump? I am not looking for a "race ready" type fuel pump. Only one that will operate exactly as the original pump does and have the same characteristics as the original. Basically a plug and play type setup.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:52 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Thanks, and I don't mean to sound dumb, but is this Walbro pump a direct replacement for the stock pump?

I am not looking for a "race ready" type fuel pump.

Only one that will operate exactly as the original pump does and have the same characteristics as the original. Basically a plug and play type setup.
It is probably a little different but it should be fine. IIRC, I installed that for someone and done my own without blowing up the house. I don't even know if you can get NOS pumps, assuming they sell them without the assembly.

Good. This isn't it. It isn't even the higher volume one.

It is about as P&P as you are getting. You could order the entire assembly but from the pictures I am looking at, they deleted the pulsator and have crimped fuel hose on the output and the feed line in the tank. This kit has everything you need and nothing you don't. I was nervous about installing it since I was not sure the bolts would come out nicely but they did after some persuasion. I wouldn't reinstall them without through cleaning of the threads just in case it gets stuck.
The following users liked this post:
FOURSPEEDVETTE (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 03:55 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

This one works great and is on sale
https://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...205.7L%2520OHV
and
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-1986-1...72.m2749.l2649

Good to go, don't hear a peep and runs perfect.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:36 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim

bought the same kit....works great

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 AC Delco fuel pump?

Quick Reply: 1985 AC Delco fuel pump?