Exhaust removal tips? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Exhaust removal tips?

Old 04-21-2018, 09:52 PM
  #1  
racerseks
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
racerseks's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Posts: 798
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Exhaust removal tips?

This is in regard to a '96 CE with LT4. Got my exhaust off, and having trouble with the last of it. I have everything after the catalytic converters off, except for the short pipe right behind the cat on the driver's side. I have one nut off, but I think there are two more. What's the best way to get those suckers off...heat?

Alternatively, I tried to get it from the top, and have the whole exhaust manifold loose on the driver's side...except one that holds the cat in place. Can't seem to get my rachet to do a single click with that short pipe on place from underneath. Any tips to get that one off, or does the short pipe have to come off first?

Love to get answers for both, but I'll settle for either.

Thanks!

Last edited by racerseks; 04-22-2018 at 12:02 AM.
racerseks is offline  
Old 04-22-2018, 06:38 AM
  #2  
grandspt
CF Senior Member
 
grandspt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 637
Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by racerseks View Post
This is in regard to a '96 CE with LT4. Got my exhaust off, and having trouble with the last of it. I have everything after the catalytic converters off, except for the short pipe right behind the cat on the driver's side. I have one nut off, but I think there are two more. What's the best way to get those suckers off...heat?

Alternatively, I tried to get it from the top, and have the whole exhaust manifold loose on the driver's side...except one that holds the cat in place. Can't seem to get my rachet to do a single click with that short pipe on place from underneath. Any tips to get that one off, or does the short pipe have to come off first?

Love to get answers for both, but I'll settle for either.

Thanks!
I am not sure if this will answer your question completely but if it is the Catalytic converter bracket that you are trying to get off then I think you will need to remove the bellhousing to get at those bolts!
I ended up cutting my bracket off when I removed my exhaust.
grandspt is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to grandspt For This Useful Post:
racerseks (04-23-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 09:46 AM
  #3  
FASTAZU
CF Senior Member
 
FASTAZU's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2002
Location: South of ???
Posts: 10,123
Thanked 277 Times in 253 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
Default

Originally Posted by racerseks View Post
This is in regard to a '96 CE with LT4. Got my exhaust off, and having trouble with the last of it. I have everything after the catalytic converters off, except for the short pipe right behind the cat on the driver's side. I have one nut off, but I think there are two more. What's the best way to get those suckers off...heat?

Alternatively, I tried to get it from the top, and have the whole exhaust manifold loose on the driver's side...except one that holds the cat in place. Can't seem to get my rachet to do a single click with that short pipe on place from underneath. Any tips to get that one off, or does the short pipe have to come off first?

Love to get answers for both, but I'll settle for either.

Thanks!



Even a small hand held propane torch will work, just be sure to shield above and around were you use the heat. Can't be to careful.

Last edited by FASTAZU; 04-22-2018 at 09:47 AM.
FASTAZU is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTAZU For This Useful Post:
racerseks (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 12:37 AM
  #4  
racerseks
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
racerseks's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Posts: 798
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by grandspt View Post
I am not sure if this will answer your question completely but if it is the Catalytic converter bracket that you are trying to get off then I think you will need to remove the bellhousing to get at those bolts!
I ended up cutting my bracket off when I removed my exhaust.
Haven't done that one yet, but sounds like a lot of work. How many bolts hold that bracket in. It feels pretty loose...I was thinking it was just one. Cutting is an option too, I suppose. Thank you!
racerseks is offline  
Old 04-23-2018, 12:38 AM
  #5  
racerseks
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
racerseks's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Posts: 798
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FASTAZU View Post


Even a small hand held propane torch will work, just be sure to shield above and around were you use the heat. Can't be to careful.
I picked one up the other day. Any suggestions on how and what to use for shielding? I agree...can't be too safe. Thanks!
racerseks is offline  
Old 04-23-2018, 11:54 AM
  #6  
FASTAZU
CF Senior Member
 
FASTAZU's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2002
Location: South of ???
Posts: 10,123
Thanked 277 Times in 253 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
Default

Originally Posted by racerseks View Post
I picked one up the other day. Any suggestions on how and what to use for shielding? I agree...can't be too safe. Thanks!

I use some old tin as it can be bent easily around the area to be heated.
FASTAZU is offline  
Old 04-24-2018, 04:39 AM
  #7  
racerseks
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
racerseks's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Posts: 798
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FASTAZU View Post
I use some old tin as it can be bent easily around the area to be heated.
Thanks for the tip!
racerseks is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 07:28 PM
  #8  
grandspt
CF Senior Member
 
grandspt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 637
Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by racerseks View Post
Haven't done that one yet, but sounds like a lot of work. How many bolts hold that bracket in. It feels pretty loose...I was thinking it was just one. Cutting is an option too, I suppose. Thank you!
If my memory serves me right it was two bolts. One was accessible but the other was at the bell housing.
grandspt is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 11:30 PM
  #9  
racerseks
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
racerseks's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Posts: 798
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by grandspt View Post
If my memory serves me right it was two bolts. One was accessible but the other was at the bell housing.
Okay, thank you.
racerseks is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust removal tips?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: