C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

how to use tuner pro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 11:05 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Default how to use tuner pro?

I have downloaded Tuner pro onto my laptop and connected the ALDL cable cable. Now how do I find out how to use it? I am not a computer guy so I would like some easy to follow instructions?

Does anyone know where to find simple to understand instruction?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2018, 02:55 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Not sure what your trying to do. Tuner Pro is a tuning program. Haven't used it.

Tuner Pro RT allows reading real time data. That is what I've been using.

So the following is for Tuner Pro RT
I'm certainly no expert but there are 3 main tasks to accomplish.
1) Get the appropriate file from the tuner pro site for your year and configuration from the tuner pro site. There are instructions on bringing the file in on the same page as the files.

2) Build one or more dashboards to display the data.

I used this tutorial to get up and running.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-tutorial.html
The tutorial has you getting connected first then builds a dashboard. You can build dashboards in advance without being connected. The first one i built was to diagnose a high idle so it looked at rpms, temps IACV steps and such.

Hook up and connect to the car and view the data. Once you're up and sunning you can record data and even export to excel for graphing.
The following users liked this post:
Bangkok Dean (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 08:27 PM
Z51BOB
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Using tuner pro

Originally Posted by belairbrian
Not sure what your trying to do. Tuner Pro is a tuning program. Haven't used it.

Tuner Pro RT allows reading real time data. That is what I've been using.

So the following is for Tuner Pro RT
I'm certainly no expert but there are 3 main tasks to accomplish.
1) Get the appropriate file from the tuner pro site for your year and configuration from the tuner pro site. There are instructions on bringing the file in on the same page as the files.

2) Build one or more dashboards to display the data.

I used this tutorial to get up and running.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-tutorial.html
The tutorial has you getting connected first then builds a dashboard. You can build dashboards in advance without being connected. The first one i built was to diagnose a high idle so it looked at rpms, temps IACV steps and such.

Hook up and connect to the car and view the data. Once you're up and sunning you can record data and even export to excel for graphing.
The learning curve is a little steep for tuner pro but once you get it going it’s a great tool. First of all you need to have the proper interface for your car, and the appropriate xdf and adx files for your car. These files interpret the bin file (your eprom settings) and the data stream. What year c4 do you have?
Bangkok Dean (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 10:32 PM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

So it looks like the tuner pro I downloaded is not what I need.

My problem is I don't have a C4 dash so I don't get codes to see my problems.

All I want is to get codes to find my engine problems. No one here has a proper scanner to find codes.

My thinking is to find some program to download to my laptop in order to see what is going on with the motor. 1990 L98.

Not interested in reprogramming the prom just to find and identify problems.

what can I download to find codes?

Last edited by Bangkok Dean; 04-25-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:14 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Download tuner pro RT. Download your xdf and adx files, these are year model specific.

If you open the data list you will see all the possible error codes. When one is set it is marked with error next to it.

Here's a section of my list

Old 04-26-2018, 01:41 PM
Z51BOB
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The nice thing about tuner pro is you get the codes and live data. The data comes out when you are "connected" . Look under acquisition and Data Lists. Codes are at the bottom. Your '90 has the speed density system. The '90 corvette uses an environmentally hardened version of the 1227730 ECM (1227727?? I don't remember the PN right off). Internally its the same as the '90-92 Camaro & Firebird and runs on the same code. Gearhead-efi.com has a good repository of information

To connect to your car you will need:
1)Tuner Pro RT - to get runtime data
2)An OBD1 interface & cable for early GM (I use a Moates ALDU1 and CABL1) & Drivers

I believe the Bin for your car is identified as $8D

3) The $8D ADX file to match your car's data stream output - This file allows TunerPro to create a human readable output from the data stream.

If you want to start looking into the tuning for your car you will need:
4) An Eprom programmer or some form of emulator like a Moates Ostrich (I have both)
5) An The $8D XDF file for your ECM's binary file (BIN). This file is basically a guide giving names and formatting the tables in your car's Eprom into human readable form.

I've been using TunerPro for about 3 years now on the two different ECM's that have been in my '85. Never needed to connect it to the '90. But - if you run into trouble, I'd be glad to hook mine up and see how it goes.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:49 PM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Download tuner pro RT. Download your xdf and adx files, these are year model specific.

If you open the data list you will see all the possible error codes. When one is set it is marked with error next to it.

Here's a section of my list

Originally Posted by Z51BOB
The nice thing about tuner pro is you get the codes and live data. The data comes out when you are "connected" . Look under acquisition and Data Lists. Codes are at the bottom. Your '90 has the speed density system. The '90 corvette uses an environmentally hardened version of the 1227730 ECM (1227727?? I don't remember the PN right off). Internally its the same as the '90-92 Camaro & Firebird and runs on the same code. Gearhead-efi.com has a good repository of information

To connect to your car you will need:
1)Tuner Pro RT - to get runtime data
2)An OBD1 interface & cable for early GM (I use a Moates ALDU1 and CABL1) & Drivers

I believe the Bin for your car is identified as $8D

3) The $8D ADX file to match your car's data stream output - This file allows TunerPro to create a human readable output from the data stream.

If you want to start looking into the tuning for your car you will need:
4) An Eprom programmer or some form of emulator like a Moates Ostrich (I have both)
5) An The $8D XDF file for your ECM's binary file (BIN). This file is basically a guide giving names and formatting the tables in your car's Eprom into human readable form.

I've been using TunerPro for about 3 years now on the two different ECM's that have been in my '85. Never needed to connect it to the '90. But - if you run into trouble, I'd be glad to hook mine up and see how it goes.
Manny thanks, guys.
I will try to download this program and see how it goes. I will post either the results or my failures.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:29 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys I have followed all advise but I give up. I just ordered a Actron GM OBD I Code Scanner CP9001 from Summit racing, if this does not give me codes I guess I will order a new Carburetor, dizzy and manifold, this fuel injection stuff is a royal pain for someone who lives in Thailand.

4 years of dumping money and time trying to get a decent running motor is not possible here.

Last edited by Bangkok Dean; 04-27-2018 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:56 AM
64Scout
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

This could be a longshot, but if you can get to your ECM look for a wire in A5- brn/wht- SES(service eng soon) light. This is a ground to turn on the light. Then you can run a wire from switched power through a bulb and back to this and you will have a SES light you can flash for codes.

I'm saying it could be a longshot because this is for a TBI, but the TPI ECM looks identical and they are both batch fire of similar year.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:46 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 64Scout
This could be a longshot, but if you can get to your ECM look for a wire in A5- brn/wht- SES(service eng soon) light. This is a ground to turn on the light. Then you can run a wire from switched power through a bulb and back to this and you will have a SES light you can flash for codes.

I'm saying it could be a longshot because this is for a TBI, but the TPI ECM looks identical and they are both batch fire of similar year.
That might work if I had a Corvette dash and instruments.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:17 AM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Great info.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:26 PM
gpierce
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bangkok Dean
That might work if I had a Corvette dash and instruments.
What he's trying to tell you is how to hook up a light to the ECM directly so you don't need the dash. The dash just has a light bulb in it that's flashed on and off to tell you the codes.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:15 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by gpierce
What he's trying to tell you is how to hook up a light to the ECM directly so you don't need the dash. The dash just has a light bulb in it that's flashed on and off to tell you the codes.

Exactly....the SES bulb....which YOU would be creating by connecting power to ANY bulb then grounding it to the ECM pin specified.

FWIW, If you got TunerPro hooked up, there is a tab that shows any error codes set.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 04-27-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Bangkok Dean (04-30-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 02:14 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gpierce
Interesting, so the light flashes so many times like 32 or 38 times to give the code?

Last edited by Bangkok Dean; 04-28-2018 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:21 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Exactly....the SES bulb....which YOU would be creating by connecting power to ANY bulb then grounding it to the ECM pin specified.

FWIW, If you got TunerPro hooked up, there is a tab that shows any error codes set.
I have the TunerPro RT installed, please let me know how to get codes?
Old 04-28-2018, 08:57 AM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Did you down load and install your xdf and adx files? If not that's the next step. If that's done then:
Connect the ALDL Cable. Start Tuner Pro RT. Place key in Run.

Click the connect button
Verify connection status
Open the Data List (default has the codes see previous post)

Old 04-28-2018, 12:07 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Interesting, so the light flashes so many times like 32 or 38 times to give the code?
The lights flash thusly:

starting with 3 code 12's
your error code ex: 32
ending with 3 code 12's

The codes are one digit at a time so a 12 would be:
flash ... pause ... flash flash

and a 32 would be flash flash flash ... pause ... flash flash

Makes sure you do not start the car with the shorting clip in the ALDL port.

Get notified of new replies

To how to use tuner pro?

Old 04-28-2018, 12:16 PM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Did you down load and install your xdf and adx files? If not that's the next step. If that's done then:
Connect the ALDL Cable. Start Tuner Pro RT. Place key in Run.

Click the connect button
Verify connection status
Open the Data List (default has the codes see previous post)

OK I downloaded xdf to a file to a folder on my computer but where do I find the adx file?
http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadBinDefs.htm#GM
Old 04-28-2018, 11:53 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

OK I downloaded xdf to a file to a folder on my computer but where do I find the adx file?
http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadBinDefs.htm#GM
^^^^
It's on the page you linked....2nd column...2nd file down....straight to the right of the XDF you downloaded. (Datastream Definition: 1227730_8D.ads)

You associate the ads definition file by selecting it from the tab with the gears (icon to the left of the acquire/connect icon). On my version, it's a hand pointing to paper vs the dual gears shown. Caveat: I assume it's the same function...with a new icon.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:18 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
^^^^
It's on the page you linked....2nd column...2nd file down....straight to the right of the XDF you downloaded. (Datastream Definition: 1227730_8D.ads)

You associate the ads definition file by selecting it from the tab with the gears (icon to the left of the acquire/connect icon). On my version, it's a hand pointing to paper vs the dual gears shown. Caveat: I assume it's the same function...with a new icon.
OK found it and downloaded the file. I did click on the gears but I don't
see how to install the file?

Quick Reply: how to use tuner pro?