C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

95 Computer and Fans

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 09:42 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 95 Computer and Fans

A friend of mine has a 95 and is having cooling problems so I told him I'd see if anyone on the forum could help.

The car stared overheating suddenly pegging the temp needle and he noticed the fans were not coming on. He got it to his mechanic who put it on a diagnostic machine and determined the computer was not turning on the fans. So he bought a new computer to the tune of $800 (Yikes) and gave it to the shop. The mechanic checked it out on his diagnostic equipment and told him he wouldn't install it because it checked out as no good for some reason. So he sent it back and is waiting for his to come back that he had to trade in as a core when he bought the new one.

So if he gets his back is there anything that can be fixed or replaced in the computer like a blown transistor that's associated with this issue? Does he have any options other than having to buy another expensive computer to solve this issue?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2018, 06:51 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Generally a REMAN purchased '95 PCM would have required appropriate 'programming' if indeed it was actually PCM failure. There's way more that needs to be shared before anyone can actually help.

A mistake was providing the 'core' before it was confirmed the replacement actually could be programmed and functioned. An exception would be of course if someone actually provided a repair or service of his.

A 3d party conversation usually doesn't work well and the forum makes it 4th party.

In a 'for hire' repair it's often to a persons advantage to pay the shop parts and labor.

As much of the shop or 'your friend's diagnostics' need to be shared!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-22-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:05 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Generally a REMAN purchased '95 PCM would have required appropriate 'programming' if indeed it was actually PCM failure. There's way more that needs to be shared before anyone can actually help.

A mistake was providing the 'core' before it was confirmed the replacement actually could be programmed and functioned. An exception would be of course if someone actually provided a repair or service of his.

A 3d party conversation usually doesn't work well and the forum makes it 4th party.

In a 'for hire' repair it's often to a persons advantage to pay the shop parts and labor.

As much of the shop or 'your friend's diagnostics' need to be shared!
Yes I agree being in the middle is not optimum, sometimes in these situations there's a cure that someone has discovered like replacing a tired electrolytic capacitor that fixes things like new. But it looks like that may not be evident although I'm sure the fix is as simple as that.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:59 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

GM doesn't make a plug in tester for ecm. Reman ecm has to be programmed to car to work. He may need a second opinion.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:52 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

I'd want to know how the mechanic determined that it was actually the PCM that failed, rather than a relay or short or some other possibility. That is, did he actually trace the fan signal all the way back to the PCM? I'm sure it's not impossible that this was the cause, but OTOH I've seen several bricked PCMs and the one thing they actually always seem to do is run the fans 100% of the time. That's also improper fan operation, of course, but my point is that the failure mode for the fan signal from PCMs of these years may actually be that they complete the circuit when it should be open (fan not running). So I'm skeptical of the diagnosis.

If it really turns out that the PCM is the problem, then $800 is way too much for a new/reman one. I bought one already programmed to my VIN for something like $250 a couple years ago. There are places that can diagnose and repair these computers, too. SIA Electronics is one.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:50 AM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it IS a PCM problem, used PCMs can be had for under $50 - call it $100 if you're in a hurry - and you can probably get a stock tune loaded by a mail order tuner for $150.

Like the others, I'm skeptical of the diagnosis.

Get notified of new replies

To 95 Computer and Fans

Quick Reply: 95 Computer and Fans